GovDelivery

Updated August 25, 2014
Updated August 25, 2014
3.8

Scott Burns

Have an impact on building a fast growing company & do work that matters

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at GovDelivery full-time

Pros

Growth opportunities present themselves if you are capable and hard working. Enormous potential to have an impact on building this company and working with government clients doing great work. Generous benefits and time-off. Access to leadership is special and company culture is strong.

Cons

High growth dynamic company building the plane while flying it can require lots of flexibility. DC commute is not for everyone.

Continue building up leadership roles throughout the organization.

Great place to work right here in our home town

Current Employee - User Experience Designer  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at GovDelivery full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexibility for professional staff. Not a punch-the-clock type of place. Personal freedom for defining the work and the future of it, and career growth potential. Culture that actively removes barriers to getting things done. Amazing customers, and a sales leadership that has scored some really big deals. A chance to make a difference in the world instead of selling stuff that people do not need (or want). Company that likely has a long future and has shrugged off acquisitions. Great products with growth potential. Leadership that is judicious, personable, and thoughtful.

Cons

Recent focus on security and securing technical operations means forward movement in product development has slowed.

Fun like a start-up; stable like a blue-chip.

I have been working at GovDelivery full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

As a technologist I love the diverse set of challenges we face and our willingness to try new things. Intelligent risk-taking is encouraged, and it has resulted in a platform built on exciting technologies that still has plenty of room for growth.

As an employee I love the stability. Do a great job and you will be rewarded and given room to flourish. I have never had cause for concern about turnover or work-life balance. We work hard but we work smart, and we believe in maintaining a sustainable pace.

There are a ton of really bright people working here; there is something to learn (and someone to learn from) everywhere you look, and always someone willing to teach. But be ready - the classroom can be anywhere from pair programming at your desk to a chat over a beer in the breakroom.

Cons

Our niche is hard to explain. We have a great value proposition and a strong, loyal client base; but explaining to a friend exactly what we do sometimes elicits a blank stare.

Stay laser-focused on what we do best.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work and grow!

I have been working at GovDelivery full-time

Pros

It's a growing company and things move fast, which is part of the allure of a company like this. Your work will have an visible impact and the chances of being lost in the shuffle are rare. There is a lot to do so you're never bored.

Cons

So much to do, so little time. It can become a bit overwhelming at times, but that is really what makes it so exciting at the same time.

Keep moving forward, stay consistent in message and direction.

Great culture, great people, at a company that is doing great work!

I have been working at GovDelivery full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You will be hard pressed to find a company with more smart, hard-working, engaged employees. For those interested, there is lots of opportunity to learn and grow. The company truly values its employees and it is evident: great benefits, the flexibility to balance work & life, the trust to work independently, support to receive the training needed to be more effective in your job, lots of little extras like happy hours, free soda/snacks, family friendly events, and more!

Cons

You will be expected to work hard with a focus on results. This environment is not a fit for everyone.

Keep doing what you are doing so the company continues to grow!

Respected, Valued, and Challenged at a Young and Fast-Growing Company.

I have been working at GovDelivery full-time for less than a year

Pros

Competitive salaries and benefits, great company culture, unique make up of employees, beautiful location and office space. Kind and intelligent people work here. Management is instructive, challenging, compassionate, and appreciative.

Cons

Must be a self-starter to make headway (not necessarily a con, but important to note), wide range of ages and backgrounds means you must be able to navigate a variety of unique people to succeed (again, not necessarily a con, but something to consider).

Continue growth and continue encouraging communication with all employees from the top all the way to the bottom. Display long term plan to help employees aim in the right direction and align with their personal long term strategies.

Best kept Secret in the Twin Cities

Current Employee - Chief Operating Officer  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Chief Operating Officer in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at GovDelivery full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great success with Gov in USA and NW Europe....strong engineering and marketing....recent focus on sales is paying off. Customer service is very strong.

Cons

Too few people know about the company or its footprint. With over 500 customers including some of the most significant federal organizations, the company should move from the "best kept secret" to "look at us"

Strive for simplicity

Fast growing company with excellent team

I have been working at GovDelivery full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Mission driven and innovative company where everyone is expected to work hard and make a contribution. Very focused on delivering value for clients. Pays good bonuses and regularly promotes from within. Work life balance is reasonable for a fast growing company.

Cons

This is a company where everyone expects colleagues to get their work done and make a contribution. It is not a good place for anyone looking to coast. Most roles require that people are online and getting work done off hours during the busy times of year or when a bunch of new clients come on at once.

Continue to support innovation while building processes of a larger company.

Fast paced, get things done mentality lets you be who you want to be

I have been working at GovDelivery full-time for more than a year

Pros

* GovDelivery has endless opportunities, but you have to be a self starter; nobody will hold your hand and help you succeed. You're generally told to get something done but it's up to you to figure out the details on how to do it. Some may find that a con, but I think it's a huge pro.
    * IT/Technology is viewed upon as a strategic weapon, not a cost center like some other companies I've worked at, and it's great to hear that message from the CEO.
    * Plenty of room for career growth at most positions if you're willing to step up and take it
    * The Chief Operating Officer is a great leader and he brings an energy that makes the company fun to work at. He also brings great ideas to help improve innovation.
    * Generous bonus program
    * For only $30 every three months, you can join the "Breakfast Club," where the company will cater in breakfast on Friday morning. It could be a breakfast sandwich, quiche, muffins, French toast, etc, but it's a great perk.
    * Company frequently has happy hour in the office and brings in cake, cookies, appetizers, etc for everyone to celebrate and unwind.

Cons

* The company is growing so fast that there's always a LOT of work to do, and while nobody tells you that it's required to put in a lot of extra hours, you'll fail if you don't. This can lead to reduced work/life balance.
    * Along similar lines, the amount of vacation time you get is small compared to most places
    * If you're looking for a laid back, stress-free place, this is not the company for you (personally I'd find that boring...)

Keep it up, we're clearly on the right track.

GovDelivery Offers Many Opportunities for Growth

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at GovDelivery full-time

Pros

There is a lot of opportunity to advance. People that work for GovDelivery are very smart and talented as a rule. GovDelivery provides opportunities for its employees to learn and grow with the company. The company cares about its clients and their missions. There is a congenial atmosphere most of the time.

Cons

There are many top-down decisions made that seem sudden and are not necessarily well explained. The company is extremely sales-driven, sometimes to the detriment of serving the current customer and employee. The workload can be overwhelming, as the company tends to ride the line in terms of having the appropriate number of staff. Expect to be stressed out.

This was in the process of being changed when I left, but at the time it was clear that there needed to be more employee involvement. Workers could use more ways to feel empowered and part of the ongoing success of the company.

Worked for GovDelivery? Contribute to the Community!