GovDelivery
www.govdelivery.com Saint Paul, MN 50 to 149 Employees

GovDelivery Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014
GovDelivery – Saint Paul – “Hamm”

Scott Burns

Poor Leadership and No Accountability

Senior Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at GovDelivery full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe staff is great, the product fills a great niche, but there needs to be more acountability by leadership to reduce the turnover and sudden departure of new hires.

ConsThere is a lack of leadership and integrity within the technology and operations area. Directors and above are not held accountable for their poor leadership skills and if you ask too many questions you are considered a trouble maker. The turnover is high for a company of its size. HR schedules 30, 60, and 90 day reviews to discuss your opinion of your role and your leader, but do not be candid if you are unhappy because you will not see day 91.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop integrity

Company to avoid

I have been working at GovDelivery full-time for more than a year

ProsCEO is great and provides energy to what otherwise is a very negative place to work. Great breakfast club. company happy hours.

Conspoor work/life balance, high stress with low tolerance for errors or suggestions that might disagree with management, Huge turnover which makes it questionable whether it really is the problem of hiring bad employees or rather a result of a messed up management team.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow the lead of your CEO. Take some management classes and don't be so quick to pull the trigger on employees who might offer suggestions that disagree with you.

Turnover, turnover, turnover, with no consistent direction.

I worked at GovDelivery full-time for more than a year

ProsSolid compensation, with good salary and benefits. Flexible schedule. Good company outings (summer family picnic, fall family orchard visit, nice winter/Christmas party). Relatively relaxed office setting, with drinks brought in for meetings or celebrations every few months or so. Upper management really tries to communicate with everyone where the company is at and where it's going.

ConsPeople don't stick around. I've never worked anywhere with a higher turnover rate. If a new employee made it a year, they usually stuck around, but many people either left or were fired within months of starting. Going through 4 bosses in 2 years at the same position resulted in inconsistent priorities and direction or complete lack of direction.

Additionally, the nature of government contracts led to some frustrating aspects, such as bonuses getting delayed while waiting for payment on a contract, though communication about things like this was good and it's nothing that other industries don't face in some capacity.

There weren't many people who seemed to have a really solid work-life balance. Emails between 8 PM and midnight (or 2 AM) were regular.

While the executive management really worked to communicate with everyone where the company was and the direction in which it was going, the direction changed often, likely due in part to numerous changes in personnel at all levels of the company, including the executive level.

Oh, and when a management meeting in a company of 100 people has 30 people in it, there might be a few too many managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile the idea of not making a "10-year mistake" with a bad employee is great, the high turnover suggests either really poor hiring practices or schizophrenic priorities. Figure out a direction and stick with it.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good product, bad mid-sr level level management

I worked at GovDelivery full-time for more than a year

ProsThe product is great and works well. They have a niche market.

Consmid-sr level management lacks management skills. I wasn't allowed to do what I was hired for and when I suggested new ideas, I was shot down and then let go for no reason. My manager didn't know how to manage people very well.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some management seminars and communicate with your employees to try to help them before just pulling the plug.

Great service, with excessive employee turnover

I have been working at GovDelivery full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat service for city and county governments, federal agencies, helps citizens stay connected with city hall and know more about what's happening.

ConsExcessive turnover is disconcerting to current employees in all depts. Sudden management decisions and changes are often made without explanation.

Advice to Senior ManagementAvoid micromanagement. Give direction and then stand back and let people do their jobs.

Fast paced, get things done mentality lets you be who you want to be

I have been working at GovDelivery full-time for more than a year

Pros* GovDelivery has endless opportunities, but you have to be a self starter; nobody will hold your hand and help you succeed. You're generally told to get something done but it's up to you to figure out the details on how to do it. Some may find that a con, but I think it's a huge pro.
* IT/Technology is viewed upon as a strategic weapon, not a cost center like some other companies I've worked at, and it's great to hear that message from the CEO.
* Plenty of room for career growth at most positions if you're willing to step up and take it
* The Chief Operating Officer is a great leader and he brings an energy that makes the company fun to work at. He also brings great ideas to help improve innovation.
* Generous bonus program
* For only $30 every three months, you can join the "Breakfast Club," where the company will cater in breakfast on Friday morning. It could be a breakfast sandwich, quiche, muffins, French toast, etc, but it's a great perk.
* Company frequently has happy hour in the office and brings in cake, cookies, appetizers, etc for everyone to celebrate and unwind.

Cons* The company is growing so fast that there's always a LOT of work to do, and while nobody tells you that it's required to put in a lot of extra hours, you'll fail if you don't. This can lead to reduced work/life balance.
* Along similar lines, the amount of vacation time you get is small compared to most places
* If you're looking for a laid back, stress-free place, this is not the company for you (personally I'd find that boring...)

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up, we're clearly on the right track.

GovDelivery Offers Many Opportunities for Growth

I worked at GovDelivery full-time

ProsThere is a lot of opportunity to advance. People that work for GovDelivery are very smart and talented as a rule. GovDelivery provides opportunities for its employees to learn and grow with the company. The company cares about its clients and their missions. There is a congenial atmosphere most of the time.

ConsThere are many top-down decisions made that seem sudden and are not necessarily well explained. The company is extremely sales-driven, sometimes to the detriment of serving the current customer and employee. The workload can be overwhelming, as the company tends to ride the line in terms of having the appropriate number of staff. Expect to be stressed out.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis was in the process of being changed when I left, but at the time it was clear that there needed to be more employee involvement. Workers could use more ways to feel empowered and part of the ongoing success of the company.

intern for the marketing team

Marketing Intern (Former Employee)
Saint Paul, MN

I worked at GovDelivery as an intern for more than a year

Prosfriendly people, lots to do, and a wonderful view

Consdata entry smelling food from the restraunts downstairs

Advice to Senior Managementnone they work alot

Room to grow, hard face paced work

Washington, DC

I have been working at GovDelivery

ProsWork in a quick and engaging atmosphere on issues that matter. Clients are very happy and organization is continually trying to improve. Feedback is atleast heard if not instantly taken.

ConsAtmosphere is fun but very challenging, long hours and lots of hard work. Teams are constantly influx, with lots of turnover and new hires. Mid-level management is not yet worked out.

A small company growing quickly with growing pains to match but great opportunities for learning and advancement.

I have been working at GovDelivery

ProsLeadership is accessible, high growth leads to advancement opportunities, great market, strong commitment to customer satisfaction, solid product development, and a very laid back atmosphere.

ConsAbnormally high employee turnover, while typically explainable, is still disconcerting. Also, while high growth often leads to advancement opportunities, larger companies afford more diversity of options. DC office can be degrading towards St. Paul office (classic "East Coast vs. Midwest" mindset).

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove retention, reduce friction between DC and St. Paul teams, add resources in technical support to ensure prompt response times.

Worked for GovDelivery? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GovDelivery reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for GovDelivery CEO Scott Burns. All 17 reviews posted anonymously by GovDelivery employees.