Government Contract Solutions

Government Contract Solutions Reviews

24 reviews filtered by
2.6
Nicole Geller

1. I've enjoyed working for GCS!

Current Contractor - Senior Acquisition Analyst in Reston, VA
    Current Contractor - Senior Acquisition Analyst in Reston, VA

I have been working at Government Contract Solutions as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

I joined GCS upon my retirement from military service and am now going on 5 years supporting an off-site government customer. While working off-site, GCS has given me free reign to do my job and support the customer which has allowed me to better integrate with my government team.
    GCS has been very generous with their salary compensation however, their benefit package falls short of what I was accustomed to in my previous career. Senior company leadership has been very supportive with any issues that arise, both professional and personal.

Cons

I wish there were more training opportunities.

Advice to Management

Your employees are your most important resource!

2. I'm going on my seventh year with the company. I believe that says volumes about my feelings for the company.

Current Employee - Acquisition Specialist in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Acquisition Specialist in Reston, VA

I have been working at Government Contract Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

GCS hired me when I retired from the Government and I have been with them ever since. They have been more than generous in their salary and benefit package as well as providing a great atmosphere in which to work.
    They have been very supportive in allowing me to attend NCMA conferences and partake of training opportunities like Greenbelt training.
    The company's focus is on supporting the customer, which in my case is the Government. The company's track record is excellent because the customer knows that it will go the extra mile for them.
    This culture starts at the top. Senior company leadership has particularly been supportive being there when we needed them and allowing us free reign at other times to support the mission.
    The company and the customer work very well together. So well that the company's presence on-site has grown exponentially in the years that I worked there. I think that that augurs well for the company's future.

Cons

None come to mind for me.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

3. Kudos to GCS!

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Springfield, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Springfield, VA

I have been working at Government Contract Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I want to express my gratitude and publicly give thanks to GCS for creating a culture where hard work and dedication is not only appreciated but rewarded. GCS took he time to shower me with accolades in light of my job performance supporting a certain Government client in the Intelligence Community, and also provided an unexpected bonus and pay increase. Thanks GCS!

Hard work and dedication to the mission is of upmost importance in this environment and I feel as if GCS instills the commitment to support these vital U.S. government missions. Providing service to my country is rewarding, an added bonus is that I’m surrounded by talented colleagues. My Program Manager and Team Lead are men of integrity with high values and standards both on the job, in their family and in the community. I feel that it’s an honor to work for GCS and hope that they continue to hire responsible co-workers who share these internal values that help make all of us a success.

Leadership also take the time to recognize that family is first if/when the need calls upon our personal resources, and they are wiling to provide extended support.

Cons

I can't think of one thing that I don't like about working for GCS, except perhaps the commute! I'm very satisfied working for GCS :)

Advice to Management

I would like to see GCS promote more extracurricular activities that provide added cohesiveness throughout the company.

5. Treated very well for my time there

Current Employee - Office Manager in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Office Manager in McLean, VA

I have been working at Government Contract Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Was there as a temp for about 6 months. Fast paced environment, lots of challenging projects to work on.
    employees and management were fun and very nice. Some people had been there 15 years so always a good sign.
    The day I left they had a cake for me that the Owner/CEO picked up herself. Never had that happen in all my years temping.

Cons

Sometimes pace was too quick for me

Advice to Management

Thanks for the learning experience

6. Pleasant, Recruiter Samantha Elms, was a real go getter.

Former Employee - Project Manager Contract Closeout
    Former Employee - Project Manager Contract Closeout

I worked at Government Contract Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employee driven, good company to work for.

Cons

NA. have none at this time.

CEO and CFO need to really take a good look at the company, its not all about the dollars.

I worked at Government Contract Solutions full-time

Pros

Truly can't think of one nice thing to say

Cons

Employment at GCS is like a revolving door, no one stays as there is no training for your position and the CEO loves to make you look like a fool in front of everyone at meetings. She doesn't care who is the meting.She actually enjoys your embarrassment.

Advice to Management

If you can't treat people the way you want to be treated than quit wasting everyones time and shut the doors. Just count how many employees and temps you have gone through in 2013, the numbers may surprise you..but than again maybe not!Hired with false pretense, was told they gave bonuses every year, (employees haven't had bonuses in 3 yrs)

No paycheck is worth this nightmare

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I worked at Government Contract Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent Benefits, competitive pay, great co-workers

Cons

GCS is a small company, so it has some of the typical negatives of a small company, only these will be amplified x50 because of the poor leadership of the CEO and her lack of respect for her employees.

-Your offer letter will most likely list a competitive salary: it is not worth it. I can not emphasize this enough. As with most small companies, you will be required to "wear multiple hats". This was exactly what I was looking for, as I wanted to expand my skills into a few areas and get great exposure. Instead, the office was understaffed and you quickly realize you are actually being underpaid for the work you are doing. For example, the CEO goes through EA's like normal people go through socks, most don't make it 6 months, let alone a year. Eventually, the CEO cut the EA out of the budget and forced another to take one the EA position in addition to hers without increasing her compensation. She quit a month later for her new job as a Contract Administrator for another company...

-If you do not work in the HQ, you might actually like your job. However, in a small HQ office (of less than 20 employees) you are very much at the whims of the CEO, in this case, this is horrible. You will need to duck and cover whenever the CEO is in the office. There is a palpable stress whenever she is marching through the office looking for the next target of her rage. Her micro-management and lack of appreciation for her employees will kill your ambition and makes it impossible for other managers to help you grow as an employee.

Every employee at this company is stressed and overworked. The level of stress you will feel from working here (not good I have a lot of responsibility stress, but stress from walking on eggshells and trying to complete your work knowing that nothing you do will be recognized by executive management and you will only be berated for your "failure") is something no one should endure. Some managers would be fine and likely try to help you, if they weren't so busy trying to survive as well.

In your interview, ask about the retention rate of HQ employees, this place isn't known as a revolving door for nothing.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees and let the "chain of command" work. Fill positions when employees quit, rather than continuously stretching your employees too thin and then reprimanding them for their failure.

Change your attitude of management. As the manager, no matter on what level, it is your responsibility to ensure your team has what it needs to succeed and to share your vision for the company, project, etc with them. If your team fails it is because you failed to meet your expectations as a manager and lead them effectively.

Dysfunctional Company in Turmoil

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I worked at Government Contract Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None. No matter how desperate you are for a job, I would not recommend working here! The company is totally dysfunctional and will leave you shaking your head as to what persuaded you to come aboard.

Cons

It is quite obvious that the positive reviews that were posted on 8/14 and 9/23 are due to a tongue lashing by the CEO. 2-3 positive reviews are no match for all the negative ones.

Advice to Management

1.Stop painting a glossy picture of the direction of the company, career advancement, promotions, raises, etc. 2. Mention the CEO...tell them to run and hide when they see her coming, because they will soon become unemployed...

Government Contract Solutions Response

Nov 6, 2013Director

If you are looking for an opportunity to be part of a solution provided to the US government you will recognize opportunities at GCS. Investments in infrastructure are always being assessed and the ... More

10. Great opportunity!

Pros

GCS has positioned itself to be a viable prime and subcontractor on many vehicles here in DC and throughout the US. Good work is done by the CEO and Business Unit leaders to ensure client needs are met. The executive and management teams approach is proactive.

Cons

Find ways to engage with client site employees, proximity is an issue but small gestures will go a long way.

If you are considering working at GCS, read these reviews carefully and look before you leap!

I worked at Government Contract Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Office space is appealing and plentiful.

Cons

CEO's narcissism and dictatorship will cause you to either quit or be fired within 6 months.

Government Contract Solutions Response

Nov 6, 2013Director

GCS is committed to bringing quality solutions and engaged experts to provide value to their government clients. This requires a leadership team who places the correct emphasis on the customer ... More