Government Finance Officers Association

www.gfoa.org

Government Finance Officers Association Reviews

2.1

Jeffrey L Esser

Great opportunity to start your career

Current Employee - Accounting Intern in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Accounting Intern in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Government Finance Officers Association as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Hours are great, no deadlines.

Cons

Salaries could be higher and there is not a lot opportunities to grow.

It was alright, with a few changes, it could have been great.

Former Employee - Accounting Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Accounting Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Government Finance Officers Association

Pros

+ Your supervisor is very easygoing, understanding and fair.
    + Generally speaking, the employees are very nice and friendly
    + Your job is easy
    + Huge flexibility in hours and time off

Cons

+ The work is very solitary, so there isn't much interaction between you and the rest of staff.
    + Particular individuals make it difficult for you to build relationships. This is particularly unfortunate because you could be learning a lot from their skills and talents.
    + The tasks you will be doing are tedious and are largely unrelated to accounting. (In fairness, they are upfront about this in the interview)
    + The pay is not quite competitive

Honestly, not much would really have to be done to go from fair to great in terms of the experience. Most internships these days are 4 parts grunt work, 3 parts teaching. You have a great staff in Tech Services, use that to your advantage to teach the next generation of accountants. Involve them in the classes you provide, have them do reviews so they can learn from your years of experience. I worked on a couple special projects and I enjoyed them but there needs to be more. You set the bar high in terms of GPA requirements by comparison, this is good but the pay and the work should match that standard. Overall, I appreciated the opportunity and I wish all of them the best.

GFOA Management - Dangerously Behind the Times

I worked at Government Finance Officers Association

Pros

You get to help municipalities and public agencies address important strategic and organizational challenges. There is a general sense of sharing and professionalism with the staff, helping them to endure a difficult working environment.

Cons

Management at GFOA has a downright disdain for its employees. The senior leadership is out-of-touch with their constituents, technically obsolete, and adds no value. Working conditions and morale are extremely poor. Each year that goes by, GFOA risks becoming irrelevant to their membership, and faces a looming budget shortfall.

Listen -- truly listen -- to your membership and enact a wholesale revamp of the organization. Virtually no operational procedures currently in place are viable for the new millinneum.

Don't buy what they try and sell you in the interview...get up and walk out! This is not a place to grow and learn!

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Government Finance Officers Association

Pros

Great benefits: $10/month for health insurance, 2 for 1 match on 401(k) up to 10% of salary.
    Great co-workers: Staff develop a great camraderie. Problem is that the camraderie is a direct result of the incompetence of executive staff.

Cons

Leadership is absolutely non-existent. The current executive director is pretty much absent. In all my years there, I still haven't figured out what he does. I could count on one hand the number of emails I received from him (and I was senior staff) and those emails were all regarding leaving the office early for holidays. The Association recently had substantial economic issues where staff had to be laid off. He played absolutely no role in handling this issue with those laid off nor with those staff left behind to deal with the aftermath. Other executive staff just sit there and fight with one another.

There is no room for advancement. Staff generally work 60+ hours per week but get reprimanded if they come into the office five minutes late. Staff will regularly perform the duties of 2-3 staff and unfortunately, the product suffers in the end. When interviewing, prospects are told that travel is at about 50 - 65%. Very quickly this can turn into 90%+. All this means that there is no work/life balance, and unfortunately, your boss does not care.

Take a leadership class. Stop being so passive agressive with your staff. Executive management makes substantial salaries ($250K+) and should act like it.

Think hard and long about if this is really worth it

I worked at Government Finance Officers Association

Pros

If you want to move up in government, then this place will definitely get your foot in the door. There are lots of opportunities to make a name for yourself if you're involved in the right projects

Cons

The leadership is so closed minded at this organization. They bicker a lot among each other and they are willing to put their employees in the middle of it.

Their CEO has been there a while and seriously has a stick up his butt.

Work/life balance does not exist. If you work here, be prepared to give 80 hours weeks and get nothing in return. Their consultants often have to fly out on Sundays at late notice and there is no comp time offered.

Lack of knowledge transfer, no training program for new employees

Leadership is not approachable. Never in my years there did I see management hold any type of HR survey, temperature check on employee morale.

Stop being hypocritical. If you want people to follow your rules, enforce them equally and follow them yourself.
    You are not God's gift to the public sector so lay off the arrogance
    Be approachable