Government of Alberta

Be The First To
Add Photos

Government of Alberta Deputy Minister Peter Watson

Peter Watson

too many directors, executive directors, assistant deputy ministers, managers...

I have been working at Government of Alberta full-time for more than 8 years

ProsFor the most part weekends and evenings are free. Fairly decent vacation leave. Nice people on the front lines.

ConsUnbelievable hypocrisy. Managers will lie right to your face and have no shame whatsoever. I don't even know what half the executives in my ministry even do, but they are all highly paid and have ample people under them to justify their bloated salaries. Nepotism rules here - I have seen completely new divisions created out of thin air to make cushy jobs for cronies of the executives.

Advice to Senior ManagementTell the truth to people and they will respect you for it. Try to fool them with expensive ad campaigns and human resources nonsense and they will scoff at you.

Everything you hear about Government is true

I have been working at Government of Alberta full-time

ProsColleagues, work hours, own offices

ConsLack of succession planning, unwillingness to change "old ways", lower salary than industry, benefits could be better. Union does not do any work.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to be open minded and start succession planning.

Horrible atmosphere and no advancement

Analyst (Current Employee)
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Government of Alberta full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat coworkers, decent compensation and benefits, and earned days off.

ConsNepotism - watch out for the Government of Alberta job postings that sound great such as Junior Project Manager, as they aren't really created for the public - they are created for the manager's spoiled children. Managers can also get in the way of operational work and bring in consultants to provide ridiculous change ideas that mean nothing to the betterment of the organization. The managers have their own agenda and do not keep the organization or the employees in mind on their decision making.

The work is fine and most other managers are fine but they don't have the gall to stick up to other terrible managers and let them run the show.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe project management "intern" who posted below is a former manager's child who was hired as a temporary worker for an administrative position as a summer student which is rare in the Government of Alberta. It adds bad morale and makes the manager look like a fraud.

Department of Energy, not a dream job for Contractors and Subs

Software Developer (Current Employee)
Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Government of Alberta as a contractor for more than a year

ProsProgect managers are usually the most positive people in the department.
New workspaces are pretty neat and quite.

ConsDespite the general taught that government jobs are more stable, this is not the case at Alberta Energy, you may be kicked out in the middle of a project while you think that you have lot to do. The best case scenario is you’ll be kept for 3 years and then you'll have to apply for your current position all over again.
You are limited to work within the DOE framework and have less power to expand your creativity.
Contractors are less respected and cared, you may hear this frequently that this facility or supply is for employees only.
Pay is less than average..
You get very little training at the beginning and you may end up with blamed on performance issues and early dismissal.
There are mono nationality grouped in most of teams. They usually speak in their own local language and often difficult to participate with.
There are few people that management make their decision only based on what they think or say. If you can’t create a good relationship with those special people , don’t count on this job for a long time.
Bottom line, if you have a permanent position or a prosperous contract, don’t trade it with Alberta Energy contract assuming that you’ve found a dream secure government job .

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople who talk big and more , are not essentially more trusted and knowledgeable.

Great people to work with!

Project Management Intern (Former Employee)
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Government of Alberta as an intern for less than a year

Prossince this is a government job, work pressure and the urgency to meet deadline is low. My coworkers were all very nice and laid back, but when it's busy, they work hard.

Cons-I'd say people generally spend at least 40% of their time doing unrelated stuff at work, sometimes, there are just not many things to do. So the sense of achievement could be low.
-Salary is not very competitive compare with industry.

Slow paced, bureaucratic with little focus on merit

Program Services (Former Employee)
Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Government of Alberta full-time for more than a year

ProsPay and benefits are good for the work hours and relative lack of stress
Generally nice people
Secure job

ConsVery slow, boring, and unwilling to change
Very little reward for merit. Difficult to get hired, or be promoted without knowing the right people.
You will likely learn very little, and get stuck here (due to salary, job security, and lack of exit options). If that is not a concern, then its fine.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold managers accountable for performance. Don't just be worried about the appearance of failure, but care about facilitating success.

Great benefits, terrible managers

I have been working at Government of Alberta full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWhen you make a difference, it's easy to see that difference in peoples' lives. Great benefits, good hours, generally great people to work with. Good career progression for those who want it and will play the game.

ConsMost managers are terrible... control freaks who are more concerned about looking good rather than getting results. The politicians who control things often make stupid decisions. Budget cuts are always looming.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more capable people, and more young people who aren't bitter and jaded.

Great work-life balance and office environment!

JSG (Former SOLGPS) Admin 2 (Current Employee)
Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Government of Alberta full-time for less than a year

ProsI absolutely love my office! Our staff is the opposite of what Government employees are said to be. Most people here are passionate about their jobs and GOA values. We enjoy sharing opinions and learning new things to better ourselves. Our management and executives are very approachable and willing to help. The work-life balance is great! Flexible work schedules, time-off for doctor's appointments, earned time-off, work from home options are all available to us. I previously worked for a company that required 12 hour days and I was made to feel guilty when I needed to take time-off for doctor's appointment or earned vacation! Not fun! Work hard rest well is my motto!
I guess there is a different environment in every Ministry, and every department within that Ministry, but I consider myself lucky to land a GOA job with JSG Business Services & Strategic Support!

ConsNone so far. I've heard rumors about low career advancement opportunities but I believe that where there's a will, there's a way! I've seen some bright people getting promoted within the Government, and I believe that it's just like in any other company: your promotability has a direct correlation with your productivity, knowledge & expertise, and your relationships with others(superiors and colleagues).

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep at it, and remember that your staff is the most valuable component of your success!

Overall a great place to work

Human Resources Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Government of Alberta full-time for more than 3 years

Proschallenging work, great co-workers, decent pay, good training & development opportunities available

Consnew supervisor that micromanages, some communication issues, equity amongst employees is not always ensured, can seem like favortism at times.

Advice to Senior Managementlearn to communicate decisions better to the team and communicate more effectively amongst the leadership team.

Very nice working and low stress environment

I have been working at Government of Alberta

Prosflex time options, low stress

Consthe salary is not very competitive

Worked for Government of Alberta? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Government of Alberta reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Government of Alberta CEO Peter Watson. All 40 reviews posted anonymously by Government of Alberta employees.