Government of Ontario, Canada

Add Photos

Government of Ontario, Canada Secretary of the Cabinet Peter Wallace

Peter Wallace

Great experience!

Web Developer (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsI'm currently here as a Summer Student and I must say that I had never expected to be given as much responsibility as I am given right now.

You really get to work with some very amazing people and some exceptionally nice managers. There is room for growth and everyone really appreciates what you do.

ConsI really can't think of any

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep being awesome!

Summer Student

Summer Student (Current Employee)

ProsGreat team work. Very friendly staff. The summer position is a great way to gain experience while studying.

ConsThe pay is not very rewarding. Lots of office work depending on where you work. I would rather be learning something new than photocopy all day.

The best of times if it wasn't for the incompetent managerment

Project Manager (Former Employee) Peterborough, ON (Canada)

ProsGood benefits, freedom to come and go as you wanted.

ConsIncompetent management that was more concerned with protecting their own jobs than actually doing anything progressive.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management needs to be less concerned with --- on the rung above.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lots of team work

Web and Communication Coordinator (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGreat work environment, lots to learn on policy and policy making, great pay and good benefits.

ConsA little slow adopting new technological changes.

Good for summer student work experience.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA summer job in the government is not as stressful compared to a job in the private sector.

ConsBecause it is not as stressful, things get done a lot slower.

It Gets Worse

ProsVery little that I've been able to find

ConsWarning! Employment with the Ontario Government will cause uncontrollable work/life imbalance, loss of health benefits, reduced and inadequate long-term disability coverage, and lifetime job insecurity. Permanently frozen income is a serious risk. Not suitable for anyone with professional career aspirations. Employer bullies and bargains in bad faith.
    Contact your career counsellor right away for advice on getting a job in the private sector.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can't attract talent when you hate your own employees.

Works for some, not for others

Manager, Communications (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsThe government offers decent pay and good benefits. My colleagues were knowledgable people who tried hard. There was also some possibility for advancement for those people wanting to make a career of working in government.

ConsIn my ministry, there was rampant incompetence - particularly in middle/senior management. People never wanted to take responsibility taken for actions, which is captured in the 15 signatures required (approvals) to do anything!

Most of the time, the work was seriously impeded by interdepartmental bickering and turf battles. Most people live in fear of their own shadows and the minister's offices are run by new graduates who have an over-inflated sense of ability and importance.

Make sure you know if you are the type to like government - if you like sales or business development, don't go to government. If you're the kind of person who thrives in a lot of structure and being told what to do, then go nuts. Creative problem-solving really isn't encouraged

Advice to Senior ManagementStand up and be counted. Set that as the culture and remove people who are ineffective, regardless of how long they have been in the OPS.

Diverse people and large IT presence.

IT Security Analyst (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros- Ontario, beutiful province and most IT positions are based out of Toronto, ON (central)
    - Excellent benefits and entry level salaries
    - Great diversity in people, reflects the current demographics of our province.
    - Large IT shop with many specialist type positions (networking, security, build/automation, development etc.)

Cons- Like any public sector environment, beurocracy. Can take a lot of time and effort to push forward issues or project milestones.
    - Can be difficult to get in, I think this is more due to the amount of people who would love to work for the province and the province needing to make some financial decisions to get out of debt.

Advice to Senior Management- Management should be more assertive and provide leadership to their employees, especially at the senior/executive management level. Just because employees are in a Union does not mean delegation and direction shouldn't be given.

Great rewards for mediocrity, mediocre rewards for greatness

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) London, ON (Canada)

ProsGood starting salary for talented new graduates

ConsLittle incentive for further development and exceptional achievement

Advice to Senior ManagementMake merit pay and performance bonuses a larger portion of employee compensation

Career in OPS

Project Manager (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGood work life balance, income and benefits

ConsMoving around within the organization is not very easy.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerformance assessments should be more realistic based on individuals and ambitious employees should be rewarded.

Worked for Government of Ontario, Canada? Contribute to the Community!