Governor of Texas Reviews

1. good college career builder, but tedious

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Governor of Texas as an intern

Pros

I'm an IR major, and i wanted to see how state government worked. besides, it was good for college career building. got to meet gov. Rick Perry and tasted how the Texas government worked.

Cons

the works are very tedious. Not too exciting. Since we are just interns, and they switch us out every semester, they didn't ask us to do anything too important. i wish we could have gone to actual field with them

Advice to Management

i wish you guys would give interns more work other than field out some boring work sheets

2. A great experience working in the Texas Emerging Technology Fund

Former Intern - Fellow in Austin, TX
    Former Intern - Fellow in Austin, TX

I worked at Governor of Texas as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked in the Texas Emerging Technology Fund (TETF), a division of the Economic Development Department in the Office of the Governor. As an intern, I was assigned real work and the staff depended on my contributions to their projects. At no point was I used as a human copy machine. My ideas and abilities were drawn upon and utilized by the team, and I came away with a great experience.

Cons

The work tends to come in batches, with alternating extremely slow days and very hectic days as the norm.

Advice to Management

Hire more technologically-adept staffers since this is a fund that deals with technology that many of the employees probably do not understand.

3. Sinking ship

Former Employee - Contract Specialist in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Contract Specialist in Austin, TX

I worked at Governor of Texas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, hours, general job security

Cons

Drama, management not in charge of employees, who take advantage of lax work hours and leave policies, no raises or rewards for work done, pushing disagreements between employees and management under the rug instead of addressing them, few upward opportunities

Advice to Management

Your good people are jumping ship at an alarming rate. Take note of those who are getting the job done and reward them. Take steps to punish those that aren't, or at the very least, make it look like you're doing something about it.

5. Amazing leader, strong team.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Governor of Texas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great location (the capitol building is epic) entrepreneurial culture hard working people engagement in a legitimate cause (improving the state of Texas) state benefits

Cons

Pay doesn't quite meet private sector levels, but the sense of involvement in a bigger purpose/mission is helpful in that regard.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

6. Fast paced exciting work that shows up in the newspaper everyday

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Governor of Texas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very talented people to work with Working on real issues Governor was great to work with, very respectful Team atmosphere through and through

Cons

Wasn't intellectually stimulating All loyalty based like all political roles and not as much about merit Staying around the longest ensured the best jobs for folks Some infighting between offices

Advice to Management

Don't let the long hours and harsh people who you come into contact with disconnect you from the people that you were put there to serve.

7. Good place to work

Current Employee - Financial Services in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Services in Austin, TX

I have been working at Governor of Texas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of talented people work there. Depending on your position you can be exposed to the highest level of Texas politics.

Cons

Salaries are lower than public sector.

8. Good for people who want a steady job, normal work hours

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Governor of Texas full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Looks good on resume -Good work hours -Steady job

Cons

-Limited room for upward mobility -Pay -No holidays off during Session

Advice to Management

More opportunities for growth

9. It was a learning experience

Former Employee - Fellow in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Fellow in Austin, TX

Pros

Great experience and I learned a lot

Cons

Not as organizaed as I hoped

Advice to Management

Get more organized

lack of challenges

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

40 hours a week. Generous sick, personal and leave time for especially long term employees. No cost health insurance for employee after 90 day period ( but very expensive for dependents). Interesting to have an inside view of government for someone who has never worked there. Very limited deadlines or pressure to get stuff done quicker since the government is in charge (not the folks they rule).

Cons

Lots of unqualified people. Lots of people who have worked their entire life in government and have lost touch with the outside world and how the rest of society functions. This results in uncomfortable situations. Most of the higher ups did not get there because of competence but rather political friends. Work is repetitive, uninteresting and not challenging (probably same way it was done 10 years ago). Never attempt to think outside of the box, this will freak them out. Zero upward mobility. Very rigid structure and micromanagement. Top down management. Many long term benefits are only vested after decades with the state.

Advice to Management

You have some good people, especially some of the younger ones that have not been there 30+ years yet. Listen to them and invest in them. Now they leave as soon as they can.

11. Very nice people, not much place for advancement

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

managers and employees are extremely laid back and relaxed. Work load is average and you really do the stuff that will benefit Texas.

Cons

I didn't find much room for advancements and this killed the deal for me. The pay was less than average.

Advice to Management

There are not much they can do since the budget is limited for advancing talented people higher up in the board.

RSS Feed </> Embed