Gracenote Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.8
John Batter

Pros
  • Stable company offering solid work / life balance (in 2 reviews)

• Great view from the office building (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • took on too many projects and initiatives so hard to do a lot of things in a very high quality fashion (in 3 reviews)

• After 5 years with SONY, Tribune purchased the company at a fire sale price (in 3 reviews)

1. Was something special or at least on its way until Tribune

Former Employee - Content Editor in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Content Editor in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Gracenote full-time

Pros

Cons

The leadership was both good and not good, very experienced but sometimes that did not help, which the team has now mostly turned over, a bit for the better and some worse

Tribune has no idea how to run a technology company in Silicon Valley and completely botched the acquisition integration.

Gracenote of the past no longer exists, both the special and the not so great elements replaced by a mish mash of people who don't seem to fit

Growing like crazy

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Gracenote full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I see these other reviews about the company not being quite the same as it used to be. There is truth in that but I'm not complaining. It's awesome being part of a company that is growing and has huge potential. I also feel like it presents huge opportunity for me personally. It's busy and we're stretched at times but at least we are going somewhere. The people are awesome ... everyone is open and respectful and I believe most people are excited to be here. People are reasonable and flexible about taking time when needed.

Cons

There is a lot of work here at Gracenote. And there is a negative crowd that longs for the old days.

Advice to Management

I'd advise to management that there be generally more frequent communication about some of the business initiatives.

3. This company is going places!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Gracenote full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Huge growth track and massive career opportunities for people that are looking to advance. Awesome company culture that is guarded by the founders of Gracenote. Did I mention Gracenote Jam?

Cons

Like in life there are always people who are scared of change. We still have a few that are processing that the "cheese has moved." The sooner they stop complaining and realize that the new Gracenote is awesome....and will only get better. The sooner we can all focus on dominating our industry.

Advice to Management

The vision for Gracenote as a global company is spot on. Don't let a few change adverse people tell you its not.

Bad place for Engineers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Gracenote full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great views of bay area. Cool industry.

Cons

No oversight of senior people in the engineering department has resulted in engineering policies and practices that have created massive technical debt in the companies core engineering. The reason for the high turn over of engineers in only now being looked at in a serious way. Until fundamental changes happen to how code is planned, designed and written it's hard to see how new development can processed. As is a huge part of work is involved in bug fixes.

Advice to Management

Get feedback from employees about their managers.

Was something special or at least on its way until Tribune

Former Employee - Senior Staff in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Staff in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Gracenote full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Gracenote was making some good strides on its culture transformation until it was sold by Sony to Tribune which changed everything and now it is no longer the music and media technology company it became to be

GN had great work-life balance and solid compensation, benefits and perks as well as training and development opportunities

It was a fun media and music related culture and HR cared for the company and the employees with many very smart and talented people who were in comparison to the rest of Silicon Valley, lower ego and not full of themselves

It had a creative talent pool in the content org and some good R&D engineers and some solid leaders

Cons

Advice to Management

Set up company as a separate unit from Tribune to be able to spin out and go IPO if possible and Trib could actually profit

Unstable, engineering unable to deliver

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Gracenote full-time

Pros

Salaries are now competitive, albeit at the lower end of the scale.
    Acquisitions are increasing company size/value.
    Technology could be exciting and groundbreaking.

Cons

Gracenote has problems transitioning to a mid sized company with global reach and customers. A large number of execs left after being acquired by Tribune, although change was refreshing in a number of areas we now lack good leadership in a number of key dapertments especially engineering. Gracenote has always been an engineering centric company which had in a number of circumstances a negative impact on our customers. Customers and customer facing departments were not listened too and this resulted in some less than optimal outcomes for too many projects.

The company has a lot of politics, It's basically an Emeryville based engineering group vs the rest, this does not lead to a productive atmosphere within the company. Churn in some engineering groups is very high due to poor leadership, exec management appears blind to this.

Advice to Management

Advice to very senior management:

Find out what's actually going on and don't just listen to a very small group of individuals who may have their own agendas.
    Get projects done properly with adequate resources and time, don't allow quick, thoughtless solutions to issues and requests, ensure solutions are well architected and scalable.
    It's not OK to release to early and then fix afterwards, customers don't like it.....
    Be honest with your employees, don't tell them there will be no layoffs and then "restructure" or "consolidate", to them it's the same thing.

TMS has ruined everything

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Gracenote full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are no good reasons anymore.
    Used to be competitive in benefits and perks, now potential employees can get treated better at worse places.

Cons

No future
    Untrustworthy
    No support
    Horrible management
    No direction
    No guidance
    Standards are low, as is morale
    No clue

Advice to Management

You can't keep Bay Area talent when you run benefits and perks by Queensbury standards. You should be concerned by all the talent leaving, instead of lowering your standards.

Frustrating work environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Gracenote full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some good view of the bay from conference rooms, yearly music party in a bar.

Cons

Outdated practices, management that only cares about themselves. Zero morale among employees at almost all tiers of the organization.

Advice to Management

Employees should be asked about how to improve practices. No upward flow of information.

10. Very positive

Former Contractor - Data Entry Clerk in Emeryville, CA
    Former Contractor - Data Entry Clerk in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Gracenote as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Commendable staff, laid back dress code, always busy with projects, conveniently situated near a shopping center and good restaurants, outstanding compensation, flexible scheduling, patient when offering constructive criticism, thorough training.

Cons

Did not seem like there were many promotion opportunities.

Advice to Management

Consider less meetings. Staff often met while I was there and you could tell it was a little irritating. Otherwise, keep up the great work.

Great industry, cut-throat company

Former Employee - Database Administrator in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Database Administrator in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Gracenote full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

smart people, competitive, great views from the office

Cons

no advancement, does not keep up with benefits such as unlimited PTO

Advice to Management

pay more attention to your employees

RSS Feed </> Embed