Gracenote
www.gracenote.com Emeryville, CA 150 to 499 Employees

Gracenote Reviews in Emeryville, CA

Updated Mar 26, 2014
Gracenote – “We work and play hard in a cool office space.”

Gracenote President Stephen White

Stephen White

18 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Intern

Intern (Current Employee)
Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Gracenote full-time for less than a year

ProsMany chances to learn through talking to everyone in a flat work environment. A lot projects going on here. People are energetic here. Always interesting to explore new stuff from difference department

ConsIt seems a lot people here work for difference projects at the same time. You cannot ask people to focus on your project only because they may have other tasks to take care of as well.

In transition, signs trending positive

I worked at Gracenote full-time for more than a year

ProsGracenote shook up senior leadership a few years ago, breaking some of the calcification and allowing a reaffirmation of their culture and identity. The recent acquisition by Tribune may help continue this redefinition.

ConsSome of the departed executives were just downright mean. The product base and their engineering teams are fragmented and sometimes at odds with each other. The IT department is very immature and cliquish.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to refocus and redefine.

Better management & more improvement needed

I have been working at Gracenote full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPros: It's an easy place to work. You won't work long hours and can come and go as you please. This, ultimately, is uninspiring and lends itself to employees here knowing only how to work as individuals and not as a group.

Lots of fun events! (Movies, concerts, parties, baseball tickets) GN makes a real effort to give back to their employees

CEO makes a real effort to reach out to all employees despite his assistant who will always tell you that he's unavailable.

ConsCorporate culture is (unintentionally) comical here. Complete boys' club with little to no diversity in upper management (all white males). Favoritism is rampant starting with the CEO's own inner circle and working it's way down the management chain. Lack of focus throughout the engineering side and could benefit from a more structured/focused approach to hiring. Many people have positions here they can't define and often have a "what the hell am I doing here again?" look on their face in meetings.

HR is ineffective. There are good people on the team but the team leader serves only as a yes-man to the executive board which makes any kind of real progress or fair judgment calls impossible.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to compete with other firms in Silicon Valley, make a bigger effort to diversify and be more competitive in ways that don't just include salary.

Worst company for career growth

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Gracenote full-time for more than a year

ProsCommon Pros that any company in SF has - Snacks, Food, parties, annual cruise, beer bash to be precise. Nothing great.

ConsManagement and Engineering managers don't know what they are doing. Engineering is always in rush to release products to customers without thinking whether products are ready and good to go. There is a false thought among engineering that there is plenty of work for engineers which is false as they find interns and cheap resources to get the job done in a hasty manner. Engineers don't get respected for their opinions and advice about any suggesions for making their products better. You may get a thank you email but at the end it is all hurry and don't worry policy. You will soon feel orphaned and disrespected. Raising concerns with HR is futile as they don't have any voice over employee concerns and issues. There are more directors and sr. Directors and sr. Engineers than normal Engineers who know what they are doing and with all the haphazarness it is not a surprise that competitiors are far advanced and popular.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should start respecting and bring in thr culture of not underestimating the skills of each and every engineer. They should encourage engineering and product management and QA to focus on quality and innovativeness of products than shipping out products and getting them out of the door. Hurry and Haphazardness does not work.

Gracenote Engineering has improved vastly

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Gracenote full-time

ProsLeadership has come to Gracenote and made all the difference. Hard work is recognized and Individual growth is promoted. Co-workers are interesting and highly diverse. Most have a real life outside work. Turnover is extremely low.

ConsMiddle management is truly mediocre, ineffective, shows undue favoritism, micro manages. Peter principle alive and well. Salarys are way behind industry standards.

Advice to Senior ManagementOK to hire managers from outside, don't promote to management just because. Favoritism is the root of mediocracy. You need to address the underlying sexism in the culture. Being a boys club is ultimately a bad business plan.

Good people to work with, but a very stressed environment and too complex systems

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Gracenote full-time for more than a year

ProsThe opportunity to work with people from various places and background. Great view from the office building.

ConsHigh stress environment and a very complex and outdated system is being used here. Management does not give enough importance to updating the system to meet the growing demands and new customers are always more important than building a better product. Pay is not that good. Can be tiring and frustrating to work here.

Great experience in a well organized and friendly environment

Content Acquisition (Former Employee)
Emeryville, CA

I worked at Gracenote part-time for less than a year

ProsThe environment is very relaxed and friendly, and at the same time the company is very well organized and efficient. It's well located with a fantastic view and if you like music this is definitely your dream place.

ConsWhen I was working there, the working space was based on cubicles, which I personally don't like so much, since I prefer more open and share spaces.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt my time management was always available and friendly, so no much to say.

OK

I worked at Gracenote

Proscool products, especially if you like movies and music.

Conssenior management communication with staff was lacking. focus on what was important to the success of the company was lacking. too much going on at once, in conflict with one another.

A fun place to work as a start-up back in the day

I worked at Gracenote

ProsThere are some brilliant engineers at Gracenote and some very technically savvy managers. There are still some decent groups like DSP and other assorted engineering groups to work for.

ConsGracenote needs to remind itself that it's now SONY and should market that accordingly. It went from a small startup to a huge corporation that has a Japanese business model. Most of the senior management has cleared out. The fairly recent surge of "Johnny Come Lately" types hired there are not team players who have ruined the overall collaborative working environment that Gracenote was originally built upon. Gracenote is not even fifteen years old. That's a short time to be ageist.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe current president worked hard for his recent promotion and hopefully, he can keep the company running with a positive spin. Beware of working with people calling other folks "dinosaurs" at all costs. What goes around comes around in any case.....

Good company that could use some focus

Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Gracenote

ProsThe team members are awesome; they recruit some talented and personable people who are dedicated to their jobs. They close the office over July 4th weekend... it's like a free extra vacation week, without any email! International company, so you may get lucky enough to travel.

ConsToo many projects and not enough resources. There's a significant lack of focus, and the company is missing a clear vision. This is evident by the nearly constant series of fire drills and "urgent" issues being dealt with. There was a recent regime change so it's still unclear if the new president will be able to change the culture in any major way; the previous president was very difficult to work with and mean.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the transparency, and listen to the "little people" who often have good ideas. Try to avoid black box decision making.

Worked for Gracenote? Contribute to the Community!

Gracenote Videos

Gracenote – Why Work for Us?

Gracenote By the Numbers Gracenote touches hundreds of millions of music fans and TV viewers everyday. Gracenote is the industry standard for music and video recognition and is supported by the largest source of music… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Gracenote reviews and ratings in Emeryville, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Gracenote CEO Stephen White. All 18 reviews posted anonymously by Gracenote employees.