Gracenote

www.gracenote.com

Gracenote Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014
Gracenote – “We work and play hard in a cool office space.”

Gracenote President Stephen White

Stephen White

Fun, interactive and a great experience

! (Former Employee) Emeryville, CA

ProsI really like the laid back feel of the office environment. There are comfortable collaboration areas and always a fully stocked kitchen! People move around the office often and are always willing to give input on a project. There are tons of intelligent and fun people.

ConsThere are times when projects don't move as fast because people are always working on several initiatives.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to give a littttttttle more time to your smaller projects.

ehh

ProsHigh demand technology company focusing on next-generation entertainment / ad-personalization solutions

ConsSlow to market, un-organized integration of acquisitions, good-ole boy intimate management structure

Advice to Senior Managementnothing that they'd listen to

Unless you're a mind reader...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGracenote offered great benefits, fair salary structures, but was challenged with keeping satellite employees looped in effectively. As I've read on other reviews, let me echo that this is a good stepping stone for your career, but not a true 'home.'

ConsYou'll need a copy of MANAGING UP by Roger Gittines, unless you're a certified mind-reader. A good manager knows how to nurture, delegate and build a healthy working rapport with subordinates. Such was not the case for me.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more upfront about big-picture objectives

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Five Years Under SONY Ownership's Benign Neglect Created Complacency At Gracenote

IT PMO (Current Employee) Emeryville, CA

ProsSome really talented people...many with a passion for music...

ConsThis is first and foremost a metadata management and syndication firm. After 5 years with SONY, Tribune purchased the company at a fire sale price. People here are very clique-oriented and keep to their own group. I think they're waiting for the post-merger layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage more collaboration between working groups. Require accountability from IT to avoid one catastrophic failure after another with the Tribune parent groups.

Don't expect a promotion but do expect a great place to start a career before moving on to something else.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe topic of entertainment and technology runs strong amongst the culture. If you're music or film nerd, you will be pleased to find others like you. Stable company offering solid work / life balance. Flexible hours. Health insurance. Stocked kitchen.

The engineers that work here are some of the most talented that I've worked with. The hackathons are always fun.

ConsHaving worked here for a long time, I've seen the company change for the better but it falls short with opportunities for professional growth and horrible politics. Engineering practices for some of the more high profile projects are really frustrating to take part of due to lack of process and disconnect between management vision and certain engineering groups. Many times, ownership isn't effectively communicated or expectations around what priorities should be produced is lacking across many teams.

There's also a huge communication divide between groups, especially content and other engineering groups. I'm not sure why it was the case but everyone in content seems really unhappy and less likely to socialize with other members of the company.

To get promoted, I've only seen people who greatly sacrifice their personal life on top of going way beyond expectation to the point of alienating their peers. I've also seen people who are way very talented, capable, and possess great leadership abilities get passed up. This has promoted a culture of elitism in some groups that I haven't really seen at other companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are plenty of projects that are contracted out because the resources available internally are either unknown or difficult to work with because of the fear of bureaucratic process. There are resources who could meet internal needs if they knew there was an opportunity to help.

Promote your workers at a reasonable pace, or they will leave. Many talented engineers that I've worked with that have left Gracenote, are now a director or higher at other companies. You guys attract good talent. Offer opportunities for professional growth. When someone shows initiative to learn new technology, ideas, encourage it.

Intern

Intern (Current Employee) Emeryville, CA

ProsMany chances to learn through talking to everyone in a flat work environment. A lot projects going on here. People are energetic here. Always interesting to explore new stuff from difference department

ConsIt seems a lot people here work for difference projects at the same time. You cannot ask people to focus on your project only because they may have other tasks to take care of as well.

In transition, signs trending positive

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Emeryville, CA

ProsGracenote shook up senior leadership a few years ago, breaking some of the calcification and allowing a reaffirmation of their culture and identity. The recent acquisition by Tribune may help continue this redefinition.

ConsSome of the departed executives were just downright mean. The product base and their engineering teams are fragmented and sometimes at odds with each other. The IT department is very immature and cliquish.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to refocus and redefine.

Good place to work at!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood manager, give right amount of advice, not micro management.
    Helpful and friendly senior coworkers.
    Have interesting things to work on.
    You can feel most people here are interested in and happy with what they're working on.
    Perfect location, great view.

ConsOne of my coworker had a company laptop that freezes for about 1 min. every 30 min. This is the only one I can think of.

Better management & more improvement needed

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Emeryville, CA

ProsPros: It's an easy place to work. You won't work long hours and can come and go as you please. This, ultimately, is uninspiring and lends itself to employees here knowing only how to work as individuals and not as a group.

Lots of fun events! (Movies, concerts, parties, baseball tickets) GN makes a real effort to give back to their employees

CEO makes a real effort to reach out to all employees despite his assistant who will always tell you that he's unavailable.

ConsCorporate culture is (unintentionally) comical here. Complete boys' club with little to no diversity in upper management (all white males). Favoritism is rampant starting with the CEO's own inner circle and working it's way down the management chain. Lack of focus throughout the engineering side and could benefit from a more structured/focused approach to hiring. Many people have positions here they can't define and often have a "what the hell am I doing here again?" look on their face in meetings.

HR is ineffective. There are good people on the team but the team leader serves only as a yes-man to the executive board which makes any kind of real progress or fair judgment calls impossible.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to compete with other firms in Silicon Valley, make a bigger effort to diversify and be more competitive in ways that don't just include salary.

Worst company for career growth

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Emeryville, CA

ProsCommon Pros that any company in SF has - Snacks, Food, parties, annual cruise, beer bash to be precise. Nothing great.

ConsManagement and Engineering managers don't know what they are doing. Engineering is always in rush to release products to customers without thinking whether products are ready and good to go. There is a false thought among engineering that there is plenty of work for engineers which is false as they find interns and cheap resources to get the job done in a hasty manner. Engineers don't get respected for their opinions and advice about any suggesions for making their products better. You may get a thank you email but at the end it is all hurry and don't worry policy. You will soon feel orphaned and disrespected. Raising concerns with HR is futile as they don't have any voice over employee concerns and issues. There are more directors and sr. Directors and sr. Engineers than normal Engineers who know what they are doing and with all the haphazarness it is not a surprise that competitiors are far advanced and popular.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should start respecting and bring in thr culture of not underestimating the skills of each and every engineer. They should encourage engineering and product management and QA to focus on quality and innovativeness of products than shipping out products and getting them out of the door. Hurry and Haphazardness does not work.

Worked for Gracenote? Contribute to the Community!