Gracenote

John Batter

Very positive

Former Employee - Data Entry Clerk in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Data Entry Clerk in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Gracenote as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Commendable staff, laid back dress code, always busy with projects, conveniently situated near a shopping center and good restaurants, outstanding compensation, flexible scheduling, patient when offering constructive criticism, thorough training.

Cons

Did not seem like there were many promotion opportunities.

Consider less meetings. Staff often met while I was there and you could tell it was a little irritating. Otherwise, keep up the great work.

Good workplace, lots to do

I worked at Gracenote

Pros

Friendly teams, engineers are valued, product in general is valued, the markets are changing rapidly so things are never boring

Cons

took on too many projects and initiatives so hard to do a lot of things in a very high quality fashion.

Some interesting work and projects, but too many elephants in the room.

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Gracenote full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Gracenote offers the opportunity to work on interesting projects and with high-profile companies. There is a goo work-life balance and management tries to keep morale up with regular organized events.

Cons

Lethal combination of a few hard core old-timers with self-serving agendas and a set of new leadership scrambling to undo the damage of years of poor, ADD-afflicted management. The recent selling/acquisition set off another round of shuffling and new faces/priorities.

Great industry, cut-throat company

Former Employee - Database Administrator in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Database Administrator in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Gracenote full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

smart people, competitive, great views from the office

Cons

no advancement, does not keep up with benefits such as unlimited PTO

pay more attention to your employees

ehh

I have been working at Gracenote (more than 5 years)

Pros

High demand technology company focusing on next-generation entertainment / ad-personalization solutions

Cons

Slow to market, un-organized integration of acquisitions, good-ole boy intimate management structure

nothing that they'd listen to

Fun, interactive and a great experience

Former Employee - Intern! in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Intern! in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Gracenote as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I really like the laid back feel of the office environment. There are comfortable collaboration areas and always a fully stocked kitchen! People move around the office often and are always willing to give input on a project. There are tons of intelligent and fun people.

Cons

There are times when projects don't move as fast because people are always working on several initiatives.

Try to give a littttttttle more time to your smaller projects.

Unless you're a mind reader...

I worked at Gracenote full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Gracenote offered great benefits, fair salary structures, but was challenged with keeping satellite employees looped in effectively. As I've read on other reviews, let me echo that this is a good stepping stone for your career, but not a true 'home.'

Cons

You'll need a copy of MANAGING UP by Roger Gittines, unless you're a certified mind-reader. A good manager knows how to nurture, delegate and build a healthy working rapport with subordinates. Such was not the case for me.

Be more upfront about big-picture objectives

Five Years Under SONY Ownership's Benign Neglect Created Complacency At Gracenote

Current Employee - IT PMO in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - IT PMO in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Gracenote as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Some really talented people...many with a passion for music...

Cons

This is first and foremost a metadata management and syndication firm. After 5 years with SONY, Tribune purchased the company at a fire sale price. People here are very clique-oriented and keep to their own group. I think they're waiting for the post-merger layoffs.

Encourage more collaboration between working groups. Require accountability from IT to avoid one catastrophic failure after another with the Tribune parent groups.

Don't expect a promotion but do expect a great place to start a career before moving on to something else.

I worked at Gracenote (more than 5 years)

Pros

The topic of entertainment and technology runs strong amongst the culture. If you're music or film nerd, you will be pleased to find others like you. Stable company offering solid work / life balance. Flexible hours. Health insurance. Stocked kitchen.

The engineers that work here are some of the most talented that I've worked with. The hackathons are always fun.

Cons

Having worked here for a long time, I've seen the company change for the better but it falls short with opportunities for professional growth and horrible politics. Engineering practices for some of the more high profile projects are really frustrating to take part of due to lack of process and disconnect between management vision and certain engineering groups. Many times, ownership isn't effectively communicated or expectations around what priorities should be produced is lacking across many teams.

There's also a huge communication divide between groups, especially content and other engineering groups. I'm not sure why it was the case but everyone in content seems really unhappy and less likely to socialize with other members of the company.

To get promoted, I've only seen people who greatly sacrifice their personal life on top of going way beyond expectation to the point of alienating their peers. I've also seen people who are way very talented, capable, and possess great leadership abilities get passed up. This has promoted a culture of elitism in some groups that I haven't really seen at other companies.

There are plenty of projects that are contracted out because the resources available internally are either unknown or difficult to work with because of the fear of bureaucratic process. There are resources who could meet internal needs if they knew there was an opportunity to help.

Promote your workers at a reasonable pace, or they will leave. Many talented engineers that I've worked with that have left Gracenote, are now a director or higher at other companies. You guys attract good talent. Offer opportunities for professional growth. When someone shows initiative to learn new technology, ideas, encourage it.

Intern

Current Employee - Intern in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Gracenote full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Many chances to learn through talking to everyone in a flat work environment. A lot projects going on here. People are energetic here. Always interesting to explore new stuff from difference department

Cons

It seems a lot people here work for difference projects at the same time. You cannot ask people to focus on your project only because they may have other tasks to take care of as well.

Gracenote Photos

We work and play hard in a cool office space.
Music Hack Day