Graco Reviews

Updated September 4, 2014
3.3

Graco President & CEO Patrick J. McHale
Patrick J. McHale

Good engineering job, but some issues with management

Former Employee - Mechanical Design Engineer  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Mechanical Design Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Graco full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Graco has competitive salaries and great benefits. They are committed to developing market-leading, high quality products, and back it up by spending a lot on product development.

Cons

Job postings for entry level mechanical design engineers are a bit misleading. First few years at the company, entry level design engineers work in 'standard product', which is basically taking care of any issues with the current product line. You are basically doing this work my yourself, and it is very hard to get support from other departments because standard products are a low priority to most employees/departments.

Graco does a good job of attracting young talent out of college, but doesn't do a great job of encouraging/providing an engaging/fun work culture for the younger employees. Also the job posting descriptions for entry level design engineers is not accurate.

Great Place to Work

I worked at Graco full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Salary. People. Challenges. Benefits.

Cons

Still acts like a small company but is a global organization. Needs to think more globally

Disorganized, zero support, where you worked before and the skills you bring dont mean jack.

Current Employee - Machinist  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Machinist in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Graco full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best thing about working there are my days off. Its sure isnt the supervision or 25 yr old leaking machines.

Cons

ME's think bcuz they read it in a book that they can apply it to machining. These are ppl who never once machined a thing but hey the books say so. No tooling anywhere. Plant manager takes veteran mill ppl and puts them on a lathe with a few hours training while rookies are on mills. Hmmm. Smart there. Clueless ppl in the office all with their hand out.

Put your talant where they will be the most effective duh! Terminate problem employees who constantly cause a hostile environment INSTEAD OF PROMOTING them! You are a joke and so is Graco.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Marketing Intern for 1 year

Current Employee - Marketing Intern  in  Rogers, MN
    Current Employee - Marketing Intern in Rogers, MN

I have been working at Graco as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Great people, motivating atmosphere, good compensation and benefits, and variety of work which makes each day interesting.

Cons

Tough to advance positions.

If I could go back, I would have never accepted an offer from this company.

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Rogers, MN
    Former Employee - Engineer in Rogers, MN

I worked at Graco full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Unfortunately, after having such a negative experience with this place it's hard to look back and think of the positive things that came from working here.

Cons

Graco does not offer competitive wages, their wages are below average at best. When Graco made their offer to me, they low balled me by 33 cents. This should have been my first sign to walk away fast from this place, but I was desperate to get off of nights and back onto a day shift.

The only way you will ever get recognition or any kind of promotion is if management personally likes you based on everything that has nothing to do with work. I was constantly being held down by a coworker that was my "unofficial boss." I know a lot of it was due to my capabilities would take him out of the lime light and he was afraid of not having a reason to be kept around. He had almost been fired when he was unable to perform as a manager. He was let go of that role and returned to his previous position. It's really unfortunate that he has not been let go from the company, especially when so many employees feel this way about him.

I was treated very unfairly at this company, I am coming to the realization that it may have been due to my young age.

You're just a number at Graco. You have no identity, especially in any engineering roles. They won't recognize any potential you may have, simply because they don't care to look.

I would never consider going back to work for this company and I could never honestly recommend them to anyone I cared about.

I am very disappointed with the events that took place while I worked here. I kept my mouth shut on a lot of things that I shouldn't have. I let things slide when I should have pushed back. I am disgusted when I think about the years of my life that were wasted here. On those who I can speak of, your moral compass is far from true north.

Another thing, stop writing in reviews on this website. It's pretty obvious which ones are being done internally to promote the company. Are you afraid of having the truth about this company reflected on this website?

How much did you say you pay to get on these "top company" lists?

Fast paced challenging product development, but rewarding!

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Rogers, MN
    Former Employee - Engineer in Rogers, MN

I worked at Graco full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Really take care of employees, ex: still give out holiday turkey and ham. No traffic headaches, small and dynamic work teams

Cons

Can get intense, dates do not move, but that is what drives a successful business.

Monotony and a Rung-less Ladder

Former Employee - Intern  in  Rogers, MN
    Former Employee - Intern in Rogers, MN

I worked at Graco as an intern for less than a year

Pros

If you get a full-time, you can stay as long as you want. Most people here have been here for at least 10 years.

Cons

Still operates as a small company. Career growth opportunities are essentially non-existent. Any lean operations that they may observe stops when you leave the production floor.

Realize you need more man power in most departments.

Loving my position

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Graco full-time for more than a year

Pros

The variety of work I do is awesome, no two days are ever the same

Cons

The company is lean so I have to do the work of 5 people

Large company that still cares for employees.

I have been working at Graco full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Primary focus on growth through new product development and acquisitons in new markets. CEO is direct and honest, he takes the time to listen and communicate with factory employees. Old school mentality of keeping costs down and smart spending help Graco produce positive earnings even when revenue slows.

Cons

Graco is a manufacturing company that puts its focus and primary spending on manufacturing. Need to continue to expand in other areas to help company continue to grow.

Decide to divisionalize or not. Can't have it both ways.

Lots of opportunity to fashion your own career

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer II  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer II in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Graco full-time for more than a year

Pros

Wide variety of experience within one's field
    Great respect for one's ability and responsibilities given to match
    Culture of hard workers, demonstrate a work ethic and you'll be accepted right in to a great work place

Cons

If you're not ready to dive in and take on responsibilities it is easy to be overwhelmed

Keep employees in the loop on the direction of the company, division and work group. Where resources are to be directed and why

Worked for Graco? Contribute to the Community!