Graco

Patrick J. McHale

Loving my position

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Graco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The variety of work I do is awesome, no two days are ever the same

Cons

The company is lean so I have to do the work of 5 people

Large company that still cares for employees.

I have been working at Graco full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Primary focus on growth through new product development and acquisitons in new markets. CEO is direct and honest, he takes the time to listen and communicate with factory employees. Old school mentality of keeping costs down and smart spending help Graco produce positive earnings even when revenue slows.

Cons

Graco is a manufacturing company that puts its focus and primary spending on manufacturing. Need to continue to expand in other areas to help company continue to grow.

Decide to divisionalize or not. Can't have it both ways.

Lots of opportunity to fashion your own career

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer II in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer II in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Graco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Wide variety of experience within one's field
    Great respect for one's ability and responsibilities given to match
    Culture of hard workers, demonstrate a work ethic and you'll be accepted right in to a great work place

Cons

If you're not ready to dive in and take on responsibilities it is easy to be overwhelmed

Keep employees in the loop on the direction of the company, division and work group. Where resources are to be directed and why

Pretty good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Graco full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Overall, Graco is a pretty good place to work. Benefits are good, the people are professional, and the company is making money. I really appreciate all the niceties, too. For instance, they hand out turkeys and hams on Christmas, allow us use of a company resort, have generous PTO/holidays, and even time off for good business (we have a company-wide paid day off next week). You can't beat that!

In regard to some of the other comments, I don't see women as being ostracized one bit. Women are at the top of the rank in every department in the company (Sales/Marketing, Management, Legal, HR, CS, etc). Heck, my supervisor is a female.

In regard to the "political" climate, McHale has a right to his opinions as the boss, especially when it comes to policies that he sees as pro-business. He always comes across as amicable and fair. Based on our sales figures, I think he knows what's best for the company. Most people in our company love McHale. He's down-to-earth and will open his door to people when needed.

Cons

At times I get frustrated when supervisors won't address problems. There are individuals who will go through a complex song and dance to avoid dealing directly with a problem employee.

Terrible work life balance

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anoka, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anoka, MN

I worked at Graco full-time

Pros

Benefits are superior compsred to other companies. Thsts about all that was positive about my time there.

Cons

Managers make poor decisions, which cause those under them to fail. I and others were thrown under the bus by immediate sipervisor to save his skin. Work 50-55 hours a week minimum to get by. Dont expect much help from others because there is too much to do and not enough people to do it. Graco definetly sink or swim.

Make better decisions on which projects to take on and if a project does not seem feasible, have the courage to say no.

Engineer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Graco full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Company is big and got good benefits

Cons

Too much politics, need to carefully watch steps

Need to welcome younger people and accept them as well

So much potential wasting away...

I worked at Graco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed working with most of my co-workers.
    vacation never got denied.
    benefits were good, but before I left it seemed like those were getting ready to go down the drain too.

Cons

When I started working here it seemed like a good place to work... for the first few weeks. It became apparent to me very quickly that I was not going to be able to expand my knowledge base or get recognition for my work while being employed here. I left this company because I was tired of being held back. It's too bad because I really liked the location.

The pay is mediocre, and it depends on what position you take. If you are looking at a salaried engineering job you will be under paid and work a lot. If you are someone with no education looking for an unskilled job then this might just be the place to work.

Too much to type.

Former "long-timer"

Former Employee - WW Product Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - WW Product Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Graco full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Highly profitable company
    Challenging work
    Dedicated employees
    Great product
    Good benefits

Overall Graco is a good place to work if you are a high skilled and experienced employee who has been "brought up" in the organization. Manufacturing is where the organizational power lies, not a bad thing

Cons

Siloed divisions that are extremely competitive for resources, which can be a good thing. However it stifles best practices.

The company runs very lean and budge approvals can be laborious

Train your people
    Remember that managers have as much responsibility in speaking the truth

OK if you are white, conservative, male engineer

Former Employee - Marketing in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Marketing in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Graco full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Salaries are decent and there are a lot of really dedicated people. Graco is a leader in many of its markets. The company is dedicated to delivering quality products.

Cons

Very political. The CEO and VPs are old school and it takes a great deal of time to convince them that new technology can help their sales, marketing and support staffs deliver better results for the company. The organization is so lean as to be unable to accomplish tasks in a timely manner.

The only people to receive promotions are those that fit in with the (very) old-boy network. Some women have been actively discouraged from even trying to move up in the heirarchy. Many talented women and minorities are leaving.

Your future at Graco is totally dependent on who your supervisor is and if he (almost always a he) has the cajones to stand up for you.

Get with the 20th Century. Promote some women and minorities. Tell the CEO to STOP his barely veiled pro Republican remarks.

Not the most exciting place to work, but the pay is decent.

Current Employee - Mechanical Design Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Mechanical Design Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Graco

Pros

Pay was decent, work-life balance was usually ok.

Cons

Not very challenging as far as engineering goes. No room for advancement as an engineer -- seemed like people either moved into management or left the company.