Graebel

Updated November 23, 2014
Updated November 23, 2014
2.8

Bill Graebel

Pros
  • Proposal volume is reasonable so writers not challenged with work life balance issues (in 5 reviews)

• There's so much opportunity for advancement here, and the company culture in most departments is very laid-back and inclusive (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours, pay 'freeze' that lasted 4 years until I left, blame rolls down hill until it hits someone with enough problems to be fired (in 6 reviews)

• Low pay, suspended 401k matching, nepotism (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Company is OK!

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Graebel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

For the most part they are good people that work there with a few bad eggs.

Cons

Understaffed, promotions and pay feels as if it's based off how well you know the management. Very "clicky". Long hours with poor pay.

Really need a set pay scale.

It's a job nothing special.

Current Employee - Warehouse Production in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Warehouse Production in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Graebel full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good co-workers. You have a little freedom because you get to move around & do different jobs & meet new people.

Cons

No one takes pride in their work anymore. There's no real benefits to speak of. You'll probably never get a raise. You're just an employee the company could care less about you.

We need to go back to the way it once was taking pride in our work. If you want employees to care you have to show that you care. We need to keep a minimum base crew & keep them busy & work them everyday. You can't run a good business like ours & be productive & have no claims if half the crew is temps. We need to job thinking anyone can be a mover. You have to have a little skill & common sense. You also need to start giving raises instead of taking money away.

If you want great movers use them, if you want a good job don't

I worked at Graebel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

THE MOVERS. THE MEN ON THE STREET. I have a number of years experience with Graebel. From warehouse, loading the trucks, packing, household and commercial work, I have seen the this company from the viewpoint of a mover. They have excellent drivers who go the extra mile. That's why Graebel moves the CEOs, politicians, colleges, and professional athletes. They care about proper packing, proper handling. These guys are proud to be movers. They are EXCELLENT at international moves. If you want the junk in the basement moved call a no name mover. If you want your beloved, expensive items moved, call Graebel.

Cons

THE MANAGEMENT. In the last 2 years this company has made every move that you see a company make when the high level management wants to sell. They lost a ton of drivers. Why, because they give HUGE discounts to big contracts leaving drivers very little financial incentive to work for them. And they have been replacing over the road drivers with train cars. Which, clients hate to see when one gets parked in front of their homes. Graebel puts the pressure on the moving team to explain this away. The office / management makes a lot of promises to get the sale, but steps away and puts the pressure on the crews and drivers to clean up any messes they make.

Stop making decisions that help to line your pockets, at the expense of the drivers, packers, and movers. Because, I'd bet if you asked for the honest opinion of the man on the street, a lot of them would feel betrayed by the things they have seen in the last 2 years.
    I kind of feel that the only employees that Graebel management cherishes, are those that work in the office. The salesmen and women who bring in the cash. They don't do so well when it comes to how they treat their movers. As if they are expendable. There seems to be a "We'll just replace them with contractors" mentality.

Keep looking

I have been working at Graebel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

gym on site, nice building, family values, lots of different cultures and nationalities

Cons

Little opportunity for growth unless you are related to someone at a high level. Not innovative, low pay, ancient technology, little concern for employees' careers and work life balance, (expect to work on Christmas Eve even though managers won't be there) the mentality is stuck in the past and there is no concern to improve anything. Founder David Graebel is why the strict atmosphere is still there and he makes sure the company stays old fashioned and out of touch.

Give everyone a raise, have causal day Monday-Friday, provide room to grow that is not just for family members of the executives, SHOW employees they are appreciated, give everyone Christmas Eve off, play music in the office, invest in your technology and your people, diversify the executive board

Company needs more honest people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Graebel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The general employees are great people, but the turnover rate is crazy so the great people end up leaving.

Cons

Management has selective hearing and needs to pay attention to all employees.

Listen to ideas from your employees and do not think that you have ALL the answers.

Nice salary, but the company doesn't care about Commercial Sales, only National Account Reps

Current Employee - Commercial Sales
    Current Employee - Commercial Sales

I have been working at Graebel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Make my own schedule (good work-life balance), company pays nice salary, benefits and auto-allowance and gas.

Cons

Lack of training, manager doesn't have time for me, I don't have confidence in my move team because they're constantly changing and using 3rd party reps that screw up my jobs. Boring sales job.

spend some time training reps on sales techniques in the industry. Also, I don't even know what the company culture is because there are no company events that we're invited to (other than locally at the branch).

Its an ok place

Former Employee - Accounting Clerk in Wausau, WI
    Former Employee - Accounting Clerk in Wausau, WI

I worked at Graebel full-time (less than an year)

Pros

personal growth,, training, food, clothing

Cons

the hours and the clicks within the company.

don't have favorite employees

New management decided to change processes that weren't flawed before they even knew what the business was about.

Former Employee - Supervisor in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Aurora, CO

I worked at Graebel full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Focus on wellness through on site health fairs and screenings.

Cons

Low pay, suspended 401k matching, nepotism

Dumping experienced relocation managers to bring in outsiders that don't care about the business hasn't worked. Your relocation business has been described as a train wreck. You reap what you sow.

OK

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA

I have been working at Graebel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Small location where everyone wears at least a few hats. Job security in this way.

Cons

The typical gossip is harder to avoid in a small setting.

Mgt is fine given their very limitations dictated by big corporate.

I have been working at Graebel full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are no friends at graebel.

Cons

It's challenging because you have to live there to get anything done.