Graebel Reviews

Updated October 26, 2014
Updated October 26, 2014
2.9

Bill Graebel

Pros
  • Proposal volume is reasonable so writers not challenged with work life balance issues (in 5 reviews)

• There's so much opportunity for advancement here, and the company culture in most departments is very laid-back and inclusive (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, suspended 401k matching, nepotism (in 6 reviews)

• Staff is really stretched and the low morale is a reflection of over-stressed employees (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

If you want great movers use them, if you want a good job don't

I worked at Graebel full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

THE MOVERS. THE MEN ON THE STREET. I have a number of years experience with Graebel. From warehouse, loading the trucks, packing, household and commercial work, I have seen the this company from the viewpoint of a mover. They have excellent drivers who go the extra mile. That's why Graebel moves the CEOs, politicians, colleges, and professional athletes. They care about proper packing, proper handling. These guys are proud to be movers. They are EXCELLENT at international moves. If you want the junk in the basement moved call a no name mover. If you want your beloved, expensive items moved, call Graebel.

Cons

THE MANAGEMENT. In the last 2 years this company has made every move that you see a company make when the high level management wants to sell. They lost a ton of drivers. Why, because they give HUGE discounts to big contracts leaving drivers very little financial incentive to work for them. And they have been replacing over the road drivers with train cars. Which, clients hate to see when one gets parked in front of their homes. Graebel puts the pressure on the moving team to explain this away. The office / management makes a lot of promises to get the sale, but steps away and puts the pressure on the crews and drivers to clean up any messes they make.

Stop making decisions that help to line your pockets, at the expense of the drivers, packers, and movers. Because, I'd bet if you asked for the honest opinion of the man on the street, a lot of them would feel betrayed by the things they have seen in the last 2 years.
    I kind of feel that the only employees that Graebel management cherishes, are those that work in the office. The salesmen and women who bring in the cash. They don't do so well when it comes to how they treat their movers. As if they are expendable. There seems to be a "We'll just replace them with contractors" mentality.

Company needs more honest people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Graebel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The general employees are great people, but the turnover rate is crazy so the great people end up leaving.

Cons

Management has selective hearing and needs to pay attention to all employees.

Listen to ideas from your employees and do not think that you have ALL the answers.

Nice salary, but the company doesn't care about Commercial Sales, only National Account Reps

Current Employee - Commercial Sales
    Current Employee - Commercial Sales

I have been working at Graebel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Make my own schedule (good work-life balance), company pays nice salary, benefits and auto-allowance and gas.

Cons

Lack of training, manager doesn't have time for me, I don't have confidence in my move team because they're constantly changing and using 3rd party reps that screw up my jobs. Boring sales job.

spend some time training reps on sales techniques in the industry. Also, I don't even know what the company culture is because there are no company events that we're invited to (other than locally at the branch).

Its an ok place

Former Employee - Accounting Clerk in Wausau, WI
    Former Employee - Accounting Clerk in Wausau, WI

I worked at Graebel full-time (less than an year)

Pros

personal growth,, training, food, clothing

Cons

the hours and the clicks within the company.

don't have favorite employees

New management decided to change processes that weren't flawed before they even knew what the business was about.

Former Employee - Supervisor in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Aurora, CO

I worked at Graebel full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Focus on wellness through on site health fairs and screenings.

Cons

Low pay, suspended 401k matching, nepotism

Dumping experienced relocation managers to bring in outsiders that don't care about the business hasn't worked. Your relocation business has been described as a train wreck. You reap what you sow.

OK

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA

I have been working at Graebel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Small location where everyone wears at least a few hats. Job security in this way.

Cons

The typical gossip is harder to avoid in a small setting.

Mgt is fine given their very limitations dictated by big corporate.

I have been working at Graebel full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are no friends at graebel.

Cons

It's challenging because you have to live there to get anything done.

Prepare to be severely overworked and under-appreciated.

Current Employee - Global Household Goods Coordinator in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Global Household Goods Coordinator in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Graebel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-They have a decent salary for the market.
    -They also have a decent PTO policy, I believe 17 PTO days a year.

Cons

-The company is a revolving door when it comes to turnover - no one lasts more than two years.
    -Career path is non-existent, company refuses to invest in its employees.
    -Consistently pressured to work overtime and weekends, work/life balance is awful.
    -Technologically ancient - system used for household goods was developed from free-ware back in the early 2000s and it does not communicate with any of the other departments systems. They have absolutely no intention of upgrading anytime soon.
    -Executive board consists almost entirely of elderly white men - despite being a diverse company at the operations level, it seems diversity is not celebrated on the executive level.
    -The disconnect between executives and operations is palpable, which makes driving change and improvements to the day-to-day job incredibly difficult.
    -Benefits are sub-par, zero perks of working for the company. For example: as an employee, if you go to the warehouse and request used boxes, they will charge you full price for them! Incredibly stingy company, despite record profits in my department.

Retention bonuses, lower case load, remove redundant manager positions that clearly add no value, improve your systems and software.

Don't expect too much, or anything really

Former Employee - Driver in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Driver in Portland, OR

I worked at Graebel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best coworkers you could ever hope for. Friendly rivalry between long term employees at different offices. An amazing work experience if you get into office moving, instead of household.

Cons

long hours, pay 'freeze' that lasted 4 years until I left, blame rolls down hill until it hits someone with enough problems to be fired.

Promotions come with pay increases. Going from a mover to a driver should come with one! You have to give us time in the morning to do drivers logs, or we won't do them and rack of fines for the company. Get your managers moved out of positions where they can hold a grudge and for gods sake if you're going to interview internal employees for a position, HIRE FROM WITHIN.

Absolutely a wonderful employer!

I have been working at Graebel

Pros

Excellent career growth potential and professional development opportunities.

Cons

I absolutely love the company - no cons.

Keep on doing what you're doing --