Graeters Reviews

Reset
3.2
Richard Graeter

1. Freelance

I have been working at Graeters

Pros

Great place with great ice cream.

Cons

Can't think of anything negative.

2. team manager

I worked at Graeters part-time

Pros

Store employees turned into family. Free ice cream and donuts. The work was not hard, there were times when there was little work to do so it was slow. The Graeter's family stops in frequently. Management who was not part of the Graeter's family did great in showing their appreciation for the work we did. They went out of their way to say thanks (buying us gift cards out of their own money, treating us to dinner, etc).

Cons

Pay is awful with little raises for those who worked longer. I worked at Graeter's for over three years and I only heard the Graeter's family say 'thank you' twice. They would come in and give you suggestions to improve the store but NEVER pointed out good things that was done. You never felt like you were doing a good job and never felt appreciated. However, the management who was not part of the family in general did great to say thank you and went out of their way to do so (see pros above). Schedule never stayed the same... One week I would work five nights, the other I would work two. High turn-over (mostly high school or college aged) makes it difficult to train new employees so often but still need to make the store look 'perfect'.

Advice to Management

Say Thank you more! We are the ones making you your money, so show us that you appreciate it!!!!

3. Working in ice cream couldn't be sweeter

Former Employee - Team Leader in Gahanna, OH
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Gahanna, OH

I worked at Graeters part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is good, environment, free ice cream, great growth potential

Cons

Seasonally dependent, managers are not always present or available

5. Management is poor

I have been working at Graeters full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere most of the time

Cons

Management is over paid which translated to low wages for employees

Advice to Management

Raise pay foe employees

6. Great, family-owned company set to make big strides

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at Graeters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Family owned and operated, and the Graeter's family makes an effort to personally check in at all of the locations at least once a month. Room to grow within company as long as you put forth the effort to constantly improve. Friendly management. Easy product to sell. Not too difficult to get time off when it's been earned .

Cons

Occasional miscommunication between management and higher ups cause problems at the store level. Pay does not always reflect job expectations, and raises hardly occur unless you specifically ask for a review. Sometimes supervisors are stuck in their ways and do not listen to needs of lower management.

Advice to Management

Make an effort to reward good work ethic and those who fulfill their obligations by granting raises without having to be asked. Hire additional support staff at hourly wages so that managers and district managers can focus on individual store quality. Do not be afraid to embrace new business strategies.

7. good, not graet.

Current Employee - Team Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Team Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Graeters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-coworkers all treated each other like family
    -free icecream!
    -fun environment to work at
    -get to help out with events around the community representing graeters
    -managers are always easy to get along with if you are doing what needs done

Cons

-for the amount of responsibility very low pay
    -raises based on how long you have been there, not performance
    -never have set amount of hours (one week around 30, next week only 15)
    -everyone at the store im at, constantly says how much they hate the store hate everything about graeters, has the attitude that they dont care about anything in the store, but yet they never find a new job and leave.
    -store managers only care about themselves and their store. not the employees they have.

Advice to Management

When doing reviews look at everything, before figuring out raises. get rid of the people that complain about how much they hate being there and let the people that want to be there, want to have the higher responsibility have it.

Good first job

Current Employee - Team Member in Westerville, OH
    Current Employee - Team Member in Westerville, OH

I have been working at Graeters part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome co-workers, free ice cream, not very difficult

Cons

High turn over among managers, extremely busy during the summer, the company is very cheap and will staff the minimum amount that they can. We are often understaffed

Advice to Management

Find good managers and use incentives to keep them around. It hurts the store, the employees and the customers when we constantly have new managers coming into the store

The people you work with are awesome but the people you work for, not so much.

Former Employee - Team Leader
    Former Employee - Team Leader

I worked at Graeters part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to work with a team of people of different beliefs, practices, and walks of life. Employee relationships can be very close and can be like a family sometimes.

Cons

I was promoted into lower management and received a very minimal pay raise. I also was given a great deal of responsibility. The company had us doing the same things that our salaried manager did and worked about the same amount of hours but did not offer us Full Time employment. My pay was reduced without notice even though I was a candidate for further promotion.

Advice to Management

Stop worrying about expansion and worry about the employees that you have first. Seeing as how tightly knit they have threatened to leave. From personal experience, we had a team of about twenty and if two people quit over the grievances of our disregarding manager then all but about three would also leave.

Not so "Graet"

Former Employee - Team Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Graeters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They were somewhat flexible with scheduling. Free ice cream.

Cons

No room for advancement, never had a performance review or a raise in three years. Worked my arse off and never had much to show for it.

I did extra work for the regional manager and was promised compensation but was never paid.

Worked double shifts without as much as a 15 minute break. (double shifts = 13+ hours)

Boring.

Advice to Management

Conduct performance reviews. Promote from within.

11. I worked at Graeters for about 2 years. It was fun, easy work, but pretty tiresome during the summer.

Former Employee - Team Member in Springboro, OH
    Former Employee - Team Member in Springboro, OH

I worked at Graeters part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Many free sample products
    -Flexible schedules (some employees only worked ~5 hours a week)
    -Easy to change shifts with other employees
    -Family owned business means you will see and get to know the Graeters family
    -You get to learn about the company and tour the factory

Cons

-Because the company is so small, management seems to be a tightly-knit "clique" sometimes. Employees who are trying to climb the ladder at Graeters may find themselves out of the loop.
    -Shifts can be dull and long during the winter, and you will have lines out the door almost every night during the summer.
    -You won't typically get a raise for working consecutive years. This seems to be a gray area not well-understood by either the employees or management.
    -Many high-schoolers work here and not all of them have a great work ethic.

RSS Feed </> Embed