Gragg Advertising

Updated August 18, 2014
2.4

Gragg Advertising Chairman & CEO Greg Gragg
Greg Gragg

A great place to develop professionally and expand your network.

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Gragg Advertising full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Growth Potential: The agency allows you plenty of room for growth and professional development by identifying your talents and helping you leverage them.

Supportive Management: Senior Management, including the President, support your career goals and help you create a plan to achieve them. You never feel "stuck" because if an opportunity does not exist they are not against creating one for you.

Employee Value: Coming into this agency it was empowering to learn that every employee, regardless of rank, is encouraged to provide input in the annual business plan. This agency supports innovation and creativity and hires employees that are driven and strive for excellence.

Benefits: PTO and Fitness Program Reimbursement are great perks!

Cons

Workload: As employees do grow and transition the workload may get overwhelming. On the other hand, you quickly learn to become more effective at time management. But there are also resources provided by HR to help employees establish a healthy work/life balance along with fun social activities to help improve culture.

Fast-paced: Depending on your viewpoint, the agency moves fast and if you are not able to adapt and learn quickly you will get left behind. Fortunately co-workers are helpful and supportive, once you get your bearings it is great.

Continue to support employee growth and provide activities that allow a fun break from the workday.

Do NOT get an internship here.

Former Employee - Motion Graphics Editor in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Motion Graphics Editor in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Gragg Advertising as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The employees were nice and gave me a good overview of what they did for the agency. They had a cocktail lounge.

Cons

I had an unpaid internship for video production/motion graphics here. I was hoping to learn something new about the industry but that didn't happen. The creative director gave me zero direction and basically sat me down on an out of date Mac and told me to make something 'cool' in AfterEffects. He blew up at several employees and seemed to have anger management issues. At the end of my internship he tried to give me a bad review but my college adviser said he sounded incompetent and gave me a good grade anyway.

You know it's a bad atmosphere when the employees there come by your second day and recommend that you don't take an actual job at the place. The employees were severely underpaid and the video editor I worked closely with told me she had to spend several 'overnights' a month just to get work done for the over demanding schedule.

Honestly I don' know how this place is even in business. You need to focus more on your employees' well being if you want to present a good product to your clients.

Management from Hell

I have been working at Gragg Advertising full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They will hire you if you have no experience, mostly because they don't want to pay people who do, but if you have no experience at least you can gain some here.

Cons

Management is full of egotistical maniacs. The owner threatened to fire a department head because he parked in his spot. The President of the company told an account executive that he doesn't think employees are important. Management doesn't communicate with their employees. Many of the clients are just friends of the managers and wouldn't be with us if that were not the case. The average length of employment there is 6 months, very few people stay for a whole year. The monthly going away happy hours are fun because you get to see all of the other employees who left as they come together to celebrate another person's freedom. Finally if one of the managers or the president of the company don't like you for any reason, maybe they don't like your face, maybe they think your voice is annoying, they will fire you without cause. There are some great people who come to work at gragg, but they never stay for long because they know they deserve better.

You are not the only person in the world who matters. There are great people working for you, stop treating them like crap.

Smart Company - Poor Leadership

Former Employee - Account Executive in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Gragg Advertising full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Gragg knows digital. If you are looking to get experience in the digital arena you will definitely learn a lot, very fast.
    - Compensation and benefits are adequate and you will work in a great area.
    - The line associates are smart, fun and great to work with.

Cons

Employee turnover is alarming. The company will tell you this is common in the industry - it is not. In the 10 months I was there the average tenure of the client service team, excluding leadership, fluctuated between 7-9 months. This is disruptive to the client, training environment and overall morale.

The executive team manages, they do not lead. Being unapproachable and intimidating while berating other associates, entire departments as well as other members of the executive team are not traits of a true leader.

I would encourage management to make a conscious effort to develop and retain employees. Losing quality associates is a detriment to client relationships and your overall bottom line.

Also, the executive team should invest in management training for all those in leadership roles. Being smart and knowing the business does not necessarily qualify someone to lead others.

Learning Environment

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator

I worked at Gragg Advertising full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pretty good opportunity. Fun and smart people.

Cons

Expected to learn a lot in a short time.

Flexible and Intelligent

Former Employee - Analyst in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Analyst in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Gragg Advertising full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The culture of the company provides opportunities to immerse yourself in the digital marketing sphere and really learn a lot. Management is flexible and understanding when it comes to life/work balance. The co-workers are intelligent and enjoyable to work with.

Cons

Because it is a smaller company, it has a more casual feel to it. However, the size does limit promotion opportunities. Overall, you will get out of it what you put into it. If you work hard, are honest, and do your best, you can do very well at Gragg and gain some great experience and knowledge.

Many of your employees have advanced skills that are not being utilized. If an employee comes to you with a skill that can benefit the company, make the resources available for that employee to put those skills to work for you.

Gragg Employee of 2 years

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Gragg Advertising full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best reasons to work at Gragg are the people and the PTO.
    Gragg is a fun environment with great people. You will make great friends and learn a lot in a quick amount of time. Gragg is a great stepping stone, but not a long term job unless the management decides to start caring about their employees.

Cons

The challenges of working here are
    1) high turnover
    2) some directors do not care about their employees needs
    3) Gragg is a direct response which can be very boring at times. It is all numbers, not creative at all.

Value your employees, they have opinions that matter to. Treat your employees how you want to be treated by them. Stop gossiping. Create more opportunities for team members to grow.

Remember, it's a job - stop acting like it is life or death. You are not better than others.

Good Place to Work

I have been working at Gragg Advertising full-time

Pros

- Opportunity for growth
    - Great learning opportunities
    - Never a dull day, always something new
    - Fast paced
    - Great people to work with
    - Nice PTO package, great holiday time
    - 401k match
    - Volunteer activities regularly available

Cons

- No break room with seating
    - Limited parking spaces, sometimes you have to park on the road
    - They don't adjust the thermostat very often, gets too hot/cold frequently which makes it hard to concentrate

Deplorable Working Conditions and Highly Unethical Business Practices

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Gragg Advertising full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Like many have already said the biggest "pro" about Gragg Adv is the great people doing the day-to-day work. There are smart and talented people there that I am still friends with today after my time at Gragg. I was able to learn a lot while there that put me in position to get out of there as soon as I could.

Cons

There are a few managers and directors who are good in dealing with their teams and clients but sadly those are the ones that have little control over the agency. The executives that have all the power are the ones who will throw their employees under the bus to make themselves look good and are constantly telling lies to clients and employees just to cover their backsides. They will also mix business with pleasure in a way that can be highly questionable at times and highly illegal at others (I was witness to illicit drug use while staying at a clients home instead of a hotel because of the wishes of my boss). If your OK with sleeping around with clients and your bosses to win business and get ahead then this is the place for you, otherwise run away from it as fast as you can.

Between HR and the number of managers who have fought this battle before I know Management is aware of all these issues and nothing has changed, if anything those who act recklessly are encouraged to continue to act the way they are by the support and rewards they are given.

Smartest people leave and the rest can't communicate.

I worked at Gragg Advertising full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They are really good at providing free cold and hot tap water.

Cons

Management is similar to working under management at a sub shop. They'd be great at subway but not in the Advertising Industry. They try to keep pace with the digital media evolution but they are in an infancy stage. Traditional media is fine but if you are wanting to boost your online marketing efforts hire a digital agency, not a traditional trying to be both..

Manage your people through management, not word of mouth. How about spending some of the profits rewarding the team that made the money instead of dumping Gragg profits into other "blanket companies". The profits go to covering the failing joint companies. Annual Bonus Fail..