Gragg Advertising Reviews

Gragg Advertising Chairman & CEO Greg Gragg
Greg Gragg

1. its ok

I have been working at Gragg Advertising full-time

Pros

nice pto package, decent workmates. Not really much to complain about as long as you get your work done all is well

Cons

pretty high turnover. not alot of communication between departments.

2. Learn at a high cost

I worked at Gragg Advertising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You would learn a lot at this job, but it does come at a high cost. It is very fast paced and you will not be bored.

Cons

The high turn over here and complete chaos result in so much energy being spent in the wrong areas. It is extremely frustrating, draining and at times abusive. It is definitely not for everyone. You have to decide whether it is worth all of the negatives to stay at this company. For most people it is not worth it.

Advice to Management

Take a look at the high turn over and learn from it. Don't try to spin it that this is normal, it isn't and the employees know it.

Pretty much as bad as you'd think it would be.

I worked at Gragg Advertising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most (not all) of the department level managers are great people to work for. They will give you the guidance to further your career and if you prove you are ready for more responsibility there is always plenty of work to take ownership of.

Cons

Ownership doesn't have a clue what they are doing. They've managed to keep the company in business for over 20 years but that last few years have seen a lot of suffering. Somehow the CEO has managed to turn himself into nothing more than a sales guy again instead of actually leading and growing the company. He thinks turning his HR and Accounting departments into their own companies somehow qualifies him as a successful businessman/entrepreneur. It does not. Turn-over was through the roof. Working there for over 2 years saw me rocket my way up the list in terms of seniority, and keeping track of the new people became an almost unmanageable task since a lot of employees worked there for 3-6 months before getting wise and moving on. They want to act like they have a terrific work atmosphere, and in all honesty it isn't bad, but any positive atmosphere is provided by the employees and their willingness to get together and socialize. Ownership on the other hand will hardly shell out any money to improve the atmosphere and couldn't even afford simple things like bagels or beer to boost moral. I'm all for working hard and proving your worth but in the case of Gragg it is a futile effort. I was able to move up a couple times but only due to never taking no for answer. Managers and directors will blame one another for your lack of a pay increase/promotion, when in reality they just want you to do the job without getting paid a competitive wage. The pay is low, some of the lowest i've seen and the benefits are even worse. They do pay for yoga or a gym membership but as far as healthcare and other benefits go, they are some of the lowest in the industry and region. They will spin tales to sell their fumbles as not being their fault but I would caution against believing any of it. In the last 3-4 months alone they have had to close the Crossfit gym that they owned and operated and they've had do a lot of last minute juggling to smooth over the fact that they failed to pay employees on pay day, twice. It isn't hard to read the writing on the wall that the place is going down at an alarming rate. I would avoid this place if at all possible and if you are currently there get out as quickly as possible. Lastly, most of the rumors and other rumblings about the company and how they behave themselves appear to be true. I can't personally attest to seeing much of this behavior but I heard enough stories from people I trust to not doubt a single one of them.

Advice to Management

Grow up and stop acting like a child making illogical and rash decisions. It's a company not a personal piggy bank. Take other peoples opinions into account instead of assuming whatever idea you came up with in your head is the best and only option.

Lots of Opportunities

I worked at Gragg Advertising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Genuinely Invested Management -Friendly Co-Workers -Meaningful Work I was at Gragg for over a year and appreciated how much my managers worked with me to develop a career path to grow within the company. Entry-level employees actually have a voice that's heard by senior management, which was nice. Co-workers were helpful and made the atmosphere fun. There was almost always some random activity/pot luck going on in different departments. Off-site volunteer events were scheduled regularly during business hours.

Cons

-Not your typical "advertising" agency with ping pong tables and a lounge. -Limited Parking

Advice to Management

Offer more interactive training opportunities for staff looking to grow professionally and understand their impact on the agency's "big picture".

Don't take the job

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Gragg Advertising (More than a year)

Pros

I learned ALOT, but I wasn't trained at all. My boss would talk down to me for making a mistake, yet never taught me a thing until I was 8 months in.

Cons

High turn over. The owner thinks he is God. At the Christmas party, he referred to us as "little people". I wasn't able to take a lunch because my manager told me "we don't take lunches here."

Advice to Management

Help your employees

Terrible, awful, and full of deceit

Pros

The few (maybe 5) good people

Cons

Where do I even start? There is absolutely, 100% no where to go in this company if you are a marketing coordinator. The management does not care about their employees and frankly, Gragg doesn't have enough revenue to promote their employees. The pure disrespect your peers will give you to try to get to the next level is so bad it's almost comical. This agency is full of people who will push you down and throw you under the bus to get to the top. The relationship between our clients and Gragg Adv is based upon sex, drugs, and lies. I cannot imagine working for another company under this terrible of management ever again.

Advice to Management

There is none. They don't care to listen to anyone below them. The turnover in HR is quick so it doesn't help to file anything with them either. If you make a report, nothing will get done because management will sweep it under the rug.

Smart Company - Poor Leadership

Former Employee - Account Executive in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Gragg Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Gragg knows digital. If you are looking to get experience in the digital arena you will definitely learn a lot, very fast. - Compensation and benefits are adequate and you will work in a great area. - The line associates are smart, fun and great to work with.

Cons

Employee turnover is alarming. The company will tell you this is common in the industry - it is not. In the 10 months I was there the average tenure of the client service team, excluding leadership, fluctuated between 7-9 months. This is disruptive to the client, training environment and overall morale. The executive team manages, they do not lead. Being unapproachable and intimidating while berating other associates, entire departments as well as other members of the executive team are not traits of a true leader.

Advice to Management

I would encourage management to make a conscious effort to develop and retain employees. Losing quality associates is a detriment to client relationships and your overall bottom line. Also, the executive team should invest in management training for all those in leadership roles. Being smart and knowing the business does not necessarily qualify someone to lead others.

Management from Hell

I have been working at Gragg Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They will hire you if you have no experience, mostly because they don't want to pay people who do, but if you have no experience at least you can gain some here.

Cons

Management is full of egotistical maniacs. The owner threatened to fire a department head because he parked in his spot. The President of the company told an account executive that he doesn't think employees are important. Management doesn't communicate with their employees. Many of the clients are just friends of the managers and wouldn't be with us if that were not the case. The average length of employment there is 6 months, very few people stay for a whole year. The monthly going away happy hours are fun because you get to see all of the other employees who left as they come together to celebrate another person's freedom. Finally if one of the managers or the president of the company don't like you for any reason, maybe they don't like your face, maybe they think your voice is annoying, they will fire you without cause. There are some great people who come to work at gragg, but they never stay for long because they know they deserve better.

Advice to Management

You are not the only person in the world who matters. There are great people working for you, stop treating them like crap.

Learning Environment

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator

I worked at Gragg Advertising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pretty good opportunity. Fun and smart people.

Cons

Expected to learn a lot in a short time.

Flexible and Intelligent

Former Employee - Analyst in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Analyst in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Gragg Advertising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture of the company provides opportunities to immerse yourself in the digital marketing sphere and really learn a lot. Management is flexible and understanding when it comes to life/work balance. The co-workers are intelligent and enjoyable to work with.

Cons

Because it is a smaller company, it has a more casual feel to it. However, the size does limit promotion opportunities. Overall, you will get out of it what you put into it. If you work hard, are honest, and do your best, you can do very well at Gragg and gain some great experience and knowledge.

Advice to Management

Many of your employees have advanced skills that are not being utilized. If an employee comes to you with a skill that can benefit the company, make the resources available for that employee to put those skills to work for you.

RSS Feed </> Embed