Grail Research Reviews

• India
2.7
Robert Gogel

1. Project Lead

Current Employee - Associate Project Manager in Noida (India)
    Current Employee - Associate Project Manager in Noida (India)

I have been working at Grail Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Market Correction which raised salaries by 30-40% with Joining Bonuses
    Increased Work in various account
    Complexity of Work
    Exposure to various databases, projects around the globe
    Had both Upward and Downward Feedback System, though not very sure how seriously upward feedback is taken

Cons

Long Hours, Very Long Infact
    Annual Increments are 5-10% with 10% being for the best which is not up to Industry Standards
    Too much pressure on Analyst, Associates and APLs
    Unfair work load on APLs and PLs
    Very Expensive and not so good Cab Service
    Calibration is hindrance for everyone, Not very fair to Analysts and APLs

Advice to Management

Focus on Employees and Increase the In-hand Component of Salary.

2. Right at the top of bad companies to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Noida (India)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Noida (India)

I worked at Grail Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There used to be some smart colleagues. Now the count is on a decline. Appraisal is fair.. but for some, it is fairer for some (all animals are equal, some are more equal than others). A TT board, fun events and occasional parties are there, which many consider good for employees..

Cons

No focus. After 9 years of inception, the company does not know where to focus on. In the name of customer centricity, the company will take up any and every project unless the client says no. I am not aware of Grail saying no to any RFP request even if it does not have much expertise.
    Work life balance does not exist. Enough said.
    Bad top management. No sense of direction.
    Quality of work is below average. Its a high pressure job, but what you get to do is googling and collate some info.. No depth of analysis.
    Annual hikes are ridiculous. The amount of effort required to be put vis-a-vis the reward is highly disproportionate and unfair (some of my colleagues say it's inhuman ;)).
    Top management knows all the issues, but have not been able to find a long term solution. Its all lip service and no actual effort and intention towards anything concrete.
    There are many more problems.. Do not join the company unless you are in dire need of a job. This job will not give you a long term and scalable career. All these problems are manifested by high attrition and low dissatisfaction among employees.

Advice to Management

What started as a great promise is now in a bad shape. Have a vision, and work towards a long term, sustainable goal.

3. Great Environment

I have been working at Grail Research

Pros

Colleagues are really very helping and the company is rising at a very fast pace. Great place to work.
    Salaries are at par with the market and good appraisals

Cons

work-life balance is a bit on lower side but still there is a lot of scope to learn new things.
    The variety of projects might not be leverage your knowledge

5. Quality of work is not good

Current Employee - Analyst in Noida (India)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Noida (India)

I have been working at Grail Research

Pros

I have joined Grail just a few months back. I do not see any pros.

Cons

The quality of projects is very poor. The way middle management handles employees is pathetic. There is always big talk in the top managements' monthly roundup, no ground work. Just hiring people in a bulk won't solve the problems with the company.

A very disappointing experience.... avoid, if possible

Former Employee - Analyst in New Delhi (India)
    Former Employee - Analyst in New Delhi (India)

I worked at Grail Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not a lot of pros to talk about... look at cons for a more detailed review

Crowd was good... at some point.

Cons

General change in trend after GR switched from Monitor to Integreon: Negative

Salary and perks have gone down. It used to offer ~6L to Tier I colleges at some point of time... it has since gone down to ~5L for Tier I... even lower for Tier II/III colleges (~4.25L) -> This was the case till mid-2014. Since then, they seem to have included extra amount (~ 1.5 lakh for analysts, I think) conditioned on a bond of 18 months..
    Quality of work/projects have progressively suffered (there are still some good projects there, but the ratio is declining)
    Work Culture has suffered
    Quality of crowd have declined as well. Greater proportion of Tier II/III crowd. Ratio of new analyst to experienced analysts is very high.
    Very high attrition rate

Integreon is making active attempts to consolidate GR in its portfolio. I'm not very confident if that is good for Grail's brand or not...

To give a better idea of the nature of job, let me tell you about the structure first. GR has the following groups:

TMT (Technology, Media and Telecom)
    QRA-CPG (Quant. Research Analytics, Consumer Product Group)
    LS (Life Sciences)
    Shared Services

Depending on the group, your work would either gravitate towards secondary research (TMT, LS, SS) or primary research (CPG-QRA). Note that while you would belong to one of these groups, it doesn't mean that you would be allocated to projects of only that group.

GR, being a 'business research firm', does primary research (conducting and analyzing qualitative and quantitative surveys) and secondary research (providing relevant information through internet/database searches).

<Opinion>

The interview process is unnecessarily hard and is not at all a true indicator of the quality/complexity of the work inside
    If you are from a Tier I college, refrain from joining the company. You can have much better options available elsewhere
    If you are from Tier II/III college, I believe that a short-term experience here would be a good addition to your profile... Try not to stay for long
    If you are diligent, the learning curve (in terms of hard skills) flattens within the first few months. In very rare cases, you would learn more than Excel and Powerpoint... and SPSS maybe.
    They do not have any analytics related projects... either that or they follow a very different definition of analytics
    Quality/Nature of work, in general, is substandard in most of the cases. As a result, many good/talented employee leave the firm to find better work. I guess the management have now noticed that. They do not try to retain these people. As the work rarely requires lot of hard skills (read the learning curve point), it is easy to train others in a short time. Maybe that's why the management is hiring more from lower rung colleges... Given the low complexity work, possibility of offering lower salary (for the same job profile), and (possibly) resulting lower attrition rate (as these people will have lesser avenues to explore), this seems like a good idea
    Their performance review construct is heavily skewed (towards certain parameters) and is quite harsh on some kind of people.... there are too many chinks in this armor to be discussed here
    The salary hikes is a joke

</Opinion>

Your Future in the company: Completely depends on where you are right now (Read the Opinion Block).

Growth Prospects:
    Hierarchy:
    Analyst -> Associate -> Project Lead -> Associate Project Manger -> PM -> Depends

It takes 2-2.5 year to become an Associate, if you join as a fresher... too long in my opinion, might be fine for some. Takes equal amount of time (if not more) from Associate to PL.

Advice to Management

Enough advice has been given... It's time for them to take the advice, but we know they won't.

Bad work place

Former Employee - Market Research Analyst in Noida (India)
    Former Employee - Market Research Analyst in Noida (India)

I worked at Grail Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No pros that I can state

Cons

Poor work,poor culture,no work life balance

Advice to Management

Please be humans and treat employees as humans

8. Decent place to start off, but there will always be an axe on your head.

Former Employee - Management Trainee in Noida (India)
    Former Employee - Management Trainee in Noida (India)

I worked at Grail Research full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Challenging work and a very healthy office environment.

Cons

Work related stress increases manifold as your time with the company increases.

9. hectic

I worked at Grail Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

environment and culture + project quality

Cons

working hours, slow increment, personal growth

A good place to start your career

Former Employee - Research Analyst in Noida (India)
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in Noida (India)

I worked at Grail Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some really talented people to help you kickstart your career

Cons

Being a small company, growth opportunities may not be frequent. A lot depends on your capability and your "networking" with the right set of managers

Advice to Management

NA

11. Not Bad, Not Good Either

I have been working at Grail Research full-time

Pros

Provides good exposure at the managerial level wherein we one gets to work on project management, people management

Cons

Need to improve on people management aspects and should be more flexible about views / suggestions from other folks

Advice to Management

Adopt some industry wide best practices in terms of people management