Grameen Bank Reviews

3.5
CEO

1. Grameen Internship

I worked at Grameen Bank

Pros

A lot of freedom to embark on projects that interest you. For example, I requested to visit a city slum (after the village trip) and they put me with a team who was going there as well.
    The International Department really takes care of their interns and goes out of their way to ensure our safety and improve our learning experience.
    Everyone there were driven to uplift Bangladesh's poor and despite the low renumeration for most employees there, they seemed passionate and purpose-driven
    Village Trip was really insightful, had a great guide who not only helped translate but helped us learn the way of life of the rural poor

Cons

Don't actually contribute to the organisation, more of a learning experience/ attachment
    Unpaid and no stipend but they do sponsor accommodations if you live at the Grand Prince Hotel
    Big organisation so you do see the bureaucracy, less flexibility to move around/ work with different parts of Grameen Bank

Advice to Management

For the structured programme, include more activities
    Have mini projects/ actual things to do/ skill-building activities for interns who don't have specific things in mind to do

2. The experience was great. I got to learn the entire micro-credit system in a short time and in details.

Former Intern - Micro-finance in Dhaka (Bangladesh)
    Former Intern - Micro-finance in Dhaka (Bangladesh)

I worked at Grameen Bank as an intern

Pros

Had substantial experience in the field. Was great to polish my communication skills. Learn greatly about culture, economic opportunities of Grameen micro-credit through its borrowers.

Cons

Expenses had to be borne by individual intern.

Advice to Management

Give role to interns to do a particular project rather than letting them do pretty much the same stuff.

International Internship

I worked at Grameen Bank

Pros

Company's culture and values based on costumer care, innovative help to the poor people through micro-financing system.

Cons

Personal growth limitated, loose of trasparency when trying to get more in depth about repayment methodologies.

Good but Low Paid

I worked at Grameen Bank

Pros

Its a great place and provides the facility to meet people from different part of the world. Also, you can really see your work making difference in other people's life.

Cons

Growth opportunities are very low. Very Low Income and thus doesn't attract major talents. Office culture is good.

6. Very Worthwhile Experience

Former Intern - Internship in Dhaka (Bangladesh)
    Former Intern - Internship in Dhaka (Bangladesh)

I worked at Grameen Bank as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Management is helpful and giving of their time to help you understand the operations.
    The internship program is a great place to start your career. Opens a lot of doors after the experience.

Attracts s diverse, international intern community. Friends you will have for the rest of your life.

Cons

If you are not self motivated you will not be pushed to do more.
    No intern compensation, thus, not accessible to all.

7. Immersion of the company from 2-week unpaid internship experience

Former Intern - Unpaid Intern in Dhaka (Bangladesh)
    Former Intern - Unpaid Intern in Dhaka (Bangladesh)

I worked at Grameen Bank as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

As obvious, their unpaid internship program for students is not really internship rather it is a tour of Grameen Bank so that you can understand about the Bank and microfinance better including visits to rural branches. Well managed program.

Cons

The cost of visiting rural villages was not included and want indicated when I applied for the position. It is not very expensive especially if you come from one of the OECD countries like me, but nice to clear all the necessary expenses in advance. Also, my female friend was having light degree of sexual harassment from one of the employees from there. although it is very common for foreign or even domestic women to come across with those sexual harassment from men, a bit disappointed by the Nobel Peace Prize winning organisation.

Advice to Management

maybe to give interns actual jobs. I know that if they stayed there longer, you start to give them tasks after 4 week or so, but if you could have told me in advance, i could have considered staying longer to experience some of them.

Opportunity of a lifetime!

I worked at Grameen Bank as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Go to visit rural villages.
    Meet amazing people from all over the world.
    Travel in the weekends.
    Met Dr. Yunus.
    Learned about Social Business.

Cons

It was all just observing, we didn't get to apply our skills or anything.
    The first 2 weeks were amazing. The last 2 were terrible.

Advice to Management

Try to have interns visit more than just 1 village. Get them to go to a lot of cities. The last weeks, we don't want to sit there and attend bunch of meetings. That was boring and unnecessary.

9. Summer Internship: a good way to get to know how microfinance works and affects development in emerging countries

I worked at Grameen Bank as an intern

Pros

An internship at Grameen Bank is not about working, it's about studying. You will attend seminars and training at the HQ (Dhaka), conducting visits to branch officies in rural areas and in some subsidiaries. It is very useful for touching concretely how Grameen Bank works and how it affects the lives of many in Bangladesh. There could be a chance to meet Muhammad Yunus, founder of Grameen Bank and awarded with the Nobel Price. Very flexible hours, lot of free time to travel around the country. You can meet a lot of interns from all over the world. Tutors are always available to deal with the problems and requests of the interns.

Cons

Internships program are not very well managed or organized, sometimes too much free time could lead to boredom. Bangladesh, Dhaka especially, is not an easy place to live: you need to be very careful in where to go. An unstable political situation could lead to demonstrations and acts of violence along the streets.

Advice to Management

Improve the structure of the internship program

Research intern

I worked at Grameen Bank as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

There is not much provided for the interns so, there is a lot of time to travel and visit the city

The internship attracts a lot of people from diverse backgrounds. I met really interesting people in 3 weeks.

Cons

The internship is not well structured. We were sometimes left there for a hour doing nothing, and usually had to wait for 30 min doing nothing.

11. Memorable

I worked at Grameen Bank as an intern

Pros

Good place to know about microfinance and social business

Cons

A bit unorganized and requires lots of travel

RSS Feed </> Embed