Grameen Bank Reviews

3.1

CEO

Memorable

I worked at Grameen Bank as an intern

Pros

Good place to know about microfinance and social business

Cons

A bit unorganized and requires lots of travel

Summer Internship: a good way to get to know how microfinance works and affects development in emerging countries

Former Employee - Summer Intern  in  Dhaka (Bangladesh)
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Dhaka (Bangladesh)

I worked at Grameen Bank as an intern

Pros

An internship at Grameen Bank is not about working, it's about studying. You will attend seminars and training at the HQ (Dhaka), conducting visits to branch officies in rural areas and in some subsidiaries. It is very useful for touching concretely how Grameen Bank works and how it affects the lives of many in Bangladesh. There could be a chance to meet Muhammad Yunus, founder of Grameen Bank and awarded with the Nobel Price. Very flexible hours, lot of free time to travel around the country. You can meet a lot of interns from all over the world. Tutors are always available to deal with the problems and requests of the interns.

Cons

Internships program are not very well managed or organized, sometimes too much free time could lead to boredom. Bangladesh, Dhaka especially, is not an easy place to live: you need to be very careful in where to go. An unstable political situation could lead to demonstrations and acts of violence along the streets.

Improve the structure of the internship program

Research intern

I worked at Grameen Bank as an intern for less than a year

Pros

There is not much provided for the interns so, there is a lot of time to travel and visit the city

The internship attracts a lot of people from diverse backgrounds. I met really interesting people in 3 weeks.

Cons

The internship is not well structured. We were sometimes left there for a hour doing nothing, and usually had to wait for 30 min doing nothing.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Social Business Responsibiltiy

Former Employee - Grameen Intern  in  Dhaka (Bangladesh)
    Former Employee - Grameen Intern in Dhaka (Bangladesh)

I worked at Grameen Bank part-time for less than a year

Pros

You need to learn about the social business and the implementation of grameen bank ideology practically that gives this company a top-level 97% recovery rate.

Cons

They are very bad in english (only bengali)
    the programme is very slow. and they always work on ideologies,not on true statisctics.

You should spend more time on the International GB Programme to make it a huge success.Proff. yunus should be able to meet every intern.

It was decent

Former Employee - Intern At the International Department  in  Dhaka (Bangladesh)
    Former Employee - Intern At the International Department in Dhaka (Bangladesh)

I worked at Grameen Bank

Pros

You intern with a Nobel Laureate organization.
    You get to see all of the Grameen programs in Dhaka and the rural areas.
    There is a 1 week village stay at a Grameen Bank branch.
    Coordinators are flexible with taking time off.
    You get to meet Nobel Laureate Dr. Mohammad Yunus and get books signed by him.

Cons

The internship coordinators are severely disorganized! They run on Bengali time: often late without apologies.
    The level of English is terrible.
    The internship is unpaid.
    The internship is very disorganized.
    The internship is not competitive. There are almost 700 + interns each year. They accept anyone and it is disappointing because there are 16 year olds doing the internship with you! In addition it reduces the attractiveness of the experience for future graduate schools or jobs since its so noncompetitive.

Show up on time. Be more organized. Learn to speak English.

It was quite good but not good enough.

Former Employee - Credit Officer  in  Dhaka (Bangladesh)
    Former Employee - Credit Officer in Dhaka (Bangladesh)

I worked at Grameen Bank

Pros

They offer relatively good pay.

Cons

Less opportunities to advance further in the field.

Well, there could be more use of technology in the office.

Seemed like a whole bunch of propaganda

Former Employee - Research Intern  in  Dhaka (Bangladesh)
    Former Employee - Research Intern in Dhaka (Bangladesh)

I worked at Grameen Bank

Pros

Lots of field experience; a lot of opportunities for travel and observation of micro-management. Several chances to communicate personally with clients and employees at villages.

Cons

No real work
    No supervision
    The whole program seems like a propaganda process
    Fees to high; I understand when an internship doesn't pay, I don't understand when I have to pay it

Take interns more seriously. we are capable of more work than you give us, and you make it way too easy to not to any work

Grameen Bank Internship

Former Employee - International Intern
    Former Employee - International Intern

I worked at Grameen Bank

Pros

Great opportunity to learn microfinance. Every intern was assigned a mentor and even had chance to discuss social business with the Nobel laureate Professor Muhammad Yunus.

Cons

The location. Dhaka does not provide a comfortable environment to work. Some projects involved going to Bengali rural areas. Be prepared.

The internship program is pretty structured and there should be more connections built with top tier universities around the world.

Worked for Grameen Bank? Contribute to the Community!