Grameen Foundation USA

Grameen Foundation USA Reviews

3.7

Alex Counts
1 Rating

Great mission, mostly great people

I have been working at Grameen Foundation USA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone at Grameen is very friendly and passionate about the mission to reduce poverty and the organization is really one of the leaders in this space.

Cons

Although Grameen pays fairly well for the nonprofit sector, salaries are still significantly below the equivalent in for-profit organizations. The level of talent varies widely within the organization and there is little correlation between performance and pay.

Very disorganized company

I worked at Grameen Foundation USA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, very compelling mission. Powerful brand name opens a lot of doors post-employment at the organization.

Cons

The organization has an almost schizophrenic approach to management. Although the core mission of helping the world's poorest stayed consistent, that is pretty much the only thing. Organizational focus shifted radically several times, sometimes doing full reverse-course more than once in the course of a year. My job description changed almost daily, and probably less than 10% of my day-to-day work matched the job description I was originally hired for. Many times I was tasked with responsibilities I was in no way qualified to perform, and there are virtually no resources for training. This is a common issue among staff, as many of my coworkers faced the same challenge. Senior management does not get along, which likely contributes to many of the organization's issues.

Great brand, very disorganized and inefficient

Former Employee - Investment Associate
    Former Employee - Investment Associate

I worked at Grameen Foundation USA as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Great brand opened lots of doors, easy to find partners willing to discuss working with the Grameen team I was on, well-paid

Cons

Horribly inefficient and disorganized. Very strange HR strategy...many senior people who did not seem good at their job, but lots of young, talented analysts. Many of the young analysts were very vocal about their frustration and over half the team left during my time there. Organization would spend a lot of money on top managers flying across the globe for pointless meetings, unnecessary overhead, etc...but then let a talented, junior analyst go rather than award a small salary concession. Seems like there is no supervision of mid-level management, who are not qualified to manage well. I was a mid-level consultant - so had a good look at several layers of the institution. Some teams are much better than others...usually work quite independently - so be sure you know who you will be working with.

Inefficiency of mid-level management is very demotivating for junior staff. Promotions and HR strategy are not always fair or communicated well. I have worked at top investment banks and other social investment firms, but inefficiency and low-quality managers were worst at GF.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall A Great Place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Grameen Foundation USA full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

GF is a Mission Driven organization that pays competitively. The staff tend to be very smart, business solution oriented, and very collegial. Operations and support for programmatic staff is significantly better than average compared to larger nonprofit space.

Cons

The Mission and how to achieve it is constantly being reviewed and focused. While good for the overall organization, this leads to quick and significant turnover.

Open the World

Former Employee - Program Officer  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Program Officer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Grameen Foundation USA

Pros

Interesting projects, amazing co-workers all of whom were competent and very interesting, travel to interesting places, chance to meet and work with people overseas, a good balance between life and work - despite the global hours and travel required.

Cons

strategy changing too much, no continuity in some projects, hard to move amongst departments. Challenges in funding led to some projects not continuing which always led to an uncertain job future and high turnover (not always by employee choice)

There was a need to share skills and expertise across the organization. So many disparate projects that people don't always understand what the organization or different departments are working on. More internal knowledge sharing. More work and success needed on seeking funding for projects so that people can have a longer term future at the organization.

It could have been made better with improved employee treatment and communication.

Former Employee - Development Department  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Development Department in Washington, DC

I worked at Grameen Foundation USA

Pros

Very important cause and mission.
    Great location.
    Relaxed environment.
    Great resume builder.
    Plenty of office space and state of the art technology.

Cons

Senior management could be more respectful and inclusive.
    Disorganized at times
    Senior management do not respect ideas of those under them enough

Be more inclusive to employees and communicate more. Listen to the ideas of those under you because they are often more in tune with what works.

Great Work, Great Teams, Pay can get better

Former Employee - Marketing, Communications
    Former Employee - Marketing, Communications

I worked at Grameen Foundation USA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great inspiring work
    Great teams of hardworking highly ethical individuals

Cons

Salaries aren't the most competitive

Make and stick to salary scales to ensure equity among employees

Great organization, still maturing

I worked at Grameen Foundation USA full-time

Pros

Amazingly committed and mission driven people, innovative culture, leading the industry in many areas in which GF plays. Passion for the people it serves. Lots of competition for positions, often leading to strong talent

Cons

Resourcing doesn't always allow for healthy work life balance, Organization struggles to tell its story as effectively as it could, impacting its ability to effectively gather supporters and raise funds

Fun and interesting but very unstable

I worked at Grameen Foundation USA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great mission and work culture. Brilliant and friendly colleagues. Interesting and exciting projects across several regions

Cons

Very unstable. Constant restructuring and strategy shifts resulting in high turnover and frequent layoffs of great employees. Little to no opportunities for entry level professionals to grow.

Worked for Grameen Foundation USA? Contribute to the Community!