Grammarly Reviews

4.5
Brad Hoover

Awesome team + product

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

- Incredibly talented, smart, and passionate team - A lot of room for personal growth and encouragement to act on and take ownership of ideas - A product that is truly helping people

Cons

The benefits are good, but they aren't as "luxurious" as those offered by some other startups. This matters more/less to different people, but it's worth pointing out for the sake of transparency.

2. A Nurturing Environment with a High Bar

I have been working at Grammarly full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My experience thus far at Grammarly has been overwhelmingly positive. There is a great deal of care given to hiring the right people and making sure they are a culture fit and once you're a part of the team it really feels like a family. It's a privilege to work directly with so many different teams and functions and to have each project provide direct impact to our users. Professional development, autonomy, and encouragement are all prioritized in what is still a very intimate group.

Cons

+ Not a huge suite of benefits, though they are commensurate with current size and profitability + Work-hour commitment at the office (WFH is discouraged) has a higher bar than previous jobs I've had

Advice to Management

Keep proactively communicating around strategy and growth to make scaling sustainable and to keep retention high.

3. All the pros of a start-up with none of the cons

Current Employee - Online Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Online Marketing Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I've been at Grammarly for over two years now and fully expect to be here for many more. To me, it's the perfect blend of a fast-paced, autonomous, start-up environment with none of the usual drawbacks of investor dependence (we're bootstrapped), instability, and lack of resources. Contributing to something that creates genuine value was something I longed for at every other company I've worked at. When you tell people you work at Grammarly, more often than not you'll get a burst of excited "I use that every day!" and "It's saved me from so many embarrassing situations." Perhaps the most important reason I hope to be here for very long are the people. I feel privileged to work with and learn from a team of smart, engaged, warm, and helpful coworkers.

Cons

Due to the time difference between our two offices (Kyiv and San Francisco), I've had to master the personal challenge of becoming a morning person. That and having a lot of calls with the team in Kyiv every morning is something that takes some getting used to. The upside is that I've learned to work with people with very different cultural backgrounds.

Advice to Management

In our quest to only hire the best and brightest, we end up sometimes taking a while to fill important roles. The end result is getting to work with a team of incredible people, but perhaps there is a way to accomplish both hiring the best and doing it in a time-efficient manner.

General management

I have been working at Grammarly full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Meaningful mission I can relate to. Great team of very talented and driven coworkers. Focus on professional growth. Difficult challenges and bold experiments. Relative freedom to do what you do best.

Cons

Intense culture focused on performance and results sometimes can get overwhelming. Long hours. Basically, you'd come there for growth, learning and proving yourself, potentially at expense of lifestyle.

6. Working @ Grammarly

I have been working at Grammarly full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

+ Small team that's results-driven + Good communication across teams + Opportunities for career advancement + An abundance of healthy snacks + Free lunch twice per week

Cons

- Long work days which can but a bit of a damper on your social life - We're currently in a shared office space so the temperatures are always changing

Grammarly has a great set of values, but selectively follows them.

I have been working at Grammarly full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. There is a lot of flexibility in WHAT work you to do. 2. You are expected to own your worksteam / area of the business and deliver great results. This is a critical component of career development Company very much values new and innovative ideas and senior leadership is accessible to listen to the ideas.

Cons

A few standout issues with the company are that: 1) The senior leadership team has not been able to effectively deliver products / reach milestones on time. There has been over a 1 year delay in shipping the product 2) There is a clear lack of transparency & accountability in admitting that the company is failing short of its goals 3) The CEO is not very well respected within the organization. Over the past year, at least 5 direct reports to the CEO have left due to difficulty working with him. 4) Pay is substantially below market. 5) Hours are very rigid. Expect the CEO to call you out if you come later than 830am or leave earlier than 6pm.

Advice to Management

Hold yourself accountable, admit mistakes, and provide more flexibility to your employees.

In my Top-3 of best places I used to work

I have been working at Grammarly full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not too much hierarchy (a very few number of levels between engineer and CEO), no barriers for the feedback between team and executives Great product, universally useful and already popular Lots of technical challenges Great team with creative and positive attitude without an ego problem

Cons

Not too many benefits I'd say Lots of work (not really cons, just to make sure other people understand this is not a place to relax)

Advice to Management

Spend more time on the informal communication with various team members to explain them the reasoning for the decisions. Spend less time on policies and rules. Provide more ways to connect the interests of team members and the interests if the company.

9. Ideal life/work balance

Former Employee - Software Developer
    Former Employee - Software Developer

I worked at Grammarly full-time

Pros

Grammarly is a young company. Since it is profitable and growing, it is not a startup any more. Which tell you a bit about it's current focus. Apart from that there is ambitious project goal. Having a noble and ambitious project goal does help motivation alot. Especially if you have a nice collection of young specialists around, which Grammarly does have.

Cons

There are some downsides as well. If you are looking for a developer position there is not much space for promotion. Positions like VP of engineering and team leads are usually filled via recruiting rather then promotion. Big part of development team is outside US, so consider all cons if that as well.

Grammarly is golden

Current Employee - Recruiting Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiting Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Grammarly full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The lines between work and play become blurred when you find yourself working with a team that knows how to do both, with passion. For the past few months at Grammarly, I've worked harder than I've ever worked, but never had so much fun in the process!

Cons

The hours are long. But, if building a consumer product company were easy, everyone would do it!

Grammarly truly puts its people first

Current Employee - Director, Online Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director, Online Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Grammarly full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Grammarly provides an environment that enables you to maximize your strengths, pursue your passions and develop intellectually, all while building a fantastic product that noticeably improves people's lives. Here, you find yourself amongst creative, dedicated individuals, who all work tirelessly in pursuit of our common mission -- perfecting written English for the 1b+ English writers around the world!

Cons

You will sometimes find yourself working late into the evening, or over the weekend, but your effort is always widely recognized and rewarded

RSS Feed </> Embed