Grand Canyon University

Grand Canyon University Reviews

Updated Apr 8, 2014

Grand Canyon University CEO Brian Mueller

Brian Mueller

Pros:
  • "There are great benefits, salary, and people to work with"
    in 9 reviews
  • "The free tuition benefit was the primary reason that I worked there"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "Enrollment counselors pressured to meet a monthly quota, and under alot of pressure to enroll as many students as possible"
    in 7 reviews
  • "would not work for anyone else in the company), poor (confusing) communication, and really no room for advancement"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

I was very optimistic at first, not so much now.

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat Benefits, PTO, paid for Masters degree. Very flexible schedule and understanding manager. (I got lucky with my Manager) Great co-workers.

ConsNo real chance of moving up unless you are part of the "good ol' boy" group. Even if you meet requirements, have a degree and participate in projects outside of your job description. Call center sales environment that is based solely on numbers, even though they claim they don't. You are expected to convince people to go to school, even if they don't want to. Evaluations are not fair, in the sense that you can be above requirements or below requirements and still get the same raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is the luck of the draw on which manager you get. Some managers are awesome, like mine. However some managers are not and so the requirements, write ups, and fires are not equal across the board. Without a base standard that is actually followed this makes it a stressful and an unfair, low moral environment for most.

What you see is not what you get. Ground Campus SSA

Main Campus SSA (Current Employee)

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time for more than a year

Pros-Education benefits: As an employee you have tuition expenses covered for yourself and a child or spouse, up to two people at a time.
-Some great coworkers
-Good pay right out of college

ConsMorale and workplace culture are poor, and upper management does not invest in improvement. Many mid-level managers are power hungry and cutthroat, and will sabotage to get ahead. Management is disconnected from employee daily tasks and has disturbingly little job knowledge. Unstable schedule--many Saturdays required, frequently changing hours. School claims to be based on Christian values, but is run quite the opposite. The "faith base" is a gimmick and a scapegoat in many cases.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your advisors--SSA's, EFC's, and Admissions Reps. They need more resources and better leadership. Stop the culture that cultivates fear of losing a job for no valid reason, and invest in morale and positive environment.

Great Christian Company

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time for more than a year

ProsFree tuition for bachelors and masters degrees.
20 days paid time off
casual business environment

Conslimited work from home opportunities.

A Culture of FEAR and cronyism

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time

ProsThe benefits are generally decent.

ConsMost of the upper management consists of former connections from University of Phoenix. They bully, intimidate, and work people to death, especially if they show some competence.

In reality, upper management is generally incompetent and they are scared that someone might reveal their incompetence. People are often promoted on the basis of family relationships and friendships. The turnover rate is generally very high.

Advice to Senior ManagementRepent to God...

Profits Vs. People "What is the Purpose"

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Grand Canyon University full-time

ProsAccess if good due to the small size of the property. They have several new buildings and they're adjacent /close proximity to the highway.

ConsThe attrition rate is indicative of the lack of compassion and concern for people due to a greater passion for profits. "Profit before People"

Advice to Senior ManagementUntil both your internal and external customers matter thus becoming a priority; Grand Canyon will remain nothing more than a bonafide Corporation driven exclusively by it's focus to achieve the profit margins for the investors.

Full time faculty

I have been working at Grand Canyon University

ProsGreat place to work. Managers are great.

ConsThis is still a sales environment

Site Supervisor

Site Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Grand Canyon University as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGood pay, flexibility w/ schedule, make a difference in peoples lives!

ConsPart time only....cannot sustain yourself for long on stipend.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to utilize skills in other capacities to enable additional income opportunities

Good for some people, bad for others

I have been working at Grand Canyon University

ProsIt's a christian university so you get time off to go to church during the week and you get extra paid holidays off.

ConsManagement is often in their position because of experience, not because they have the proper education for the position. Which is ironic, because they are an educational institution. It's a bit of a 'good old boys' club atmosphere.

It's fine for now

Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe tuition is free and for a school with an online program, it's actually really competitive compared to other schools with online programs. The systems are better and more user friendly, there are full time teachers, and the programs are legit making it easy to talk to students without feeling scummy like I would if I worked at UOP.

ConsEverything is about who you know so if you want a promotion, you better already be friend with whoever is making the decision and you will know if you got the job before you even applied.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's different advice to different management... cause they all do differen things... I guess figure out a way to treat everyone fairly and be consistent so that a person's career success isn't based on the luck of the draw as to who they got as a manager.

Taking advantage of low income poeple to get federal financial aid

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time for less than a year

ProsBenifits, they will pay for your entire Bachelor degree or Master degree and a portion of your docterate. The negitive out-weigh the positives to me.

ConsFYI... this is a sales position...The main issue that I have with GCU is their lack of support from management and the horribly negative work environment. This school, along with any other school that’s main focus are their online program (for-profit universities), whole goal is to take advantage of undereducated, low income people and use their goals and emotions against them to guilt them into going to school.

They also boast this whole Christian University thing, but really, they only use to that convince the poor people that believe in God that giving them money is somehting nobel. The enviornment is anyhting but a Christian enviornment and the morals of the university and what they make their employees do is far from Christian.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn your jobs, learn your employees jobs, dont hire team managers that dont know anyhting about this job, hire within the company, dont be so eager to fire people for low preformance.

Worked for Grand Canyon University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Grand Canyon University reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Grand Canyon University CEO Brian Mueller. All 103 reviews posted anonymously by Grand Canyon University employees.