Grand Canyon University

Grand Canyon University Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Grand Canyon University CEO Brian Mueller

Brian Mueller

Pros
  • benifits are good - employees and 2 of their kids can receive free tuition; flexible schedule when needed(in 11 reviews)

• GCU has a good benefits package(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Most of the upper management consists of former connections from University of Phoenix(in 8 reviews)

• Enrollment counselors pressured to meet a monthly quota, and under alot of pressure to enroll as many students as possible(in 8 reviews)

gcu soars

ProsPeppy people who love their job and love others around them Christian University

Conslots of training is required so you become burnt out rather quickly

Advice to Senior Managementlalalalalalalalallalalala

Admissions Rep

ProsGreat place to work!

-Good pay
    -Career Advancement Opportunities

Cons- Long hours
    - Pressure to preform

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Overall, GCU is a great company!

Student Service Advisor (Former Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsAmazing benefits, free education, flexible schedule, great pay, and wonderful people. Expectations are straightforward and can be an ideal company for a worker with an "honest days work for an honest days pay" mentality. Come to work, do your job, and you will be successful.

ConsClose cubicle/telemarketing work environment, minimal management/leadership development, and inflexible enrollment expectations. Team happiness and development can often be reliant on the personality and motivation of the assigned manager and their willingness to lead.

Advice to Senior ManagementWeekly one-on-ones and request continual feedback from current and veteran employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Operations and Academics don't mix

Full Service University Development Representative (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsBenefits are fantastic. Strong growth market. Home campus in Phoenix is amazing. The CEO is a very dynamic leader.

ConsTraining is sub-par. Company does not live up to its values on the operations side. Management communication is very poor. Work life balance is almost non-existent in this position. CEO cannot live up to the promises he is making.

Loved my team, but this is basically sales

Online Enrollment Counselor (Former Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsGreat team environment, you are working within a specific region of US when calling your "inquiries" aka leads, so having a good team vibe is essential. I would not have lasted as long as I did without my teammates. If I had any desire to get another degree, I would have but that was not the case for me. Great benefit though, having a free degree is awesome!

ConsSuper high turnover, and high focus on numbers. This is a sales job. You are selling school. If you are ok with that, great! This job may be a good fit, but if you aren't it feels very salesy and mundane.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote people who are not only deserving, but know what they are doing.

Pressure to call, call, call

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCo-workers develop good team environment

ConsA lot of pressure to call, call, and call more. Micromanaged often.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess pressure, more support.

roller coaster ride at times, confusing, & stressful

Prosbenifits are good - employees and 2 of their kids can receive free tuition; flexible schedule when needed

Consadvancement is about who you know and how well you please them; little to no training for new employees outside of enrollment/financial/advisement counselors; management doesn't see the value & do not speak of continual training to better selves within current positions outside of obtaining another degree; very poor communication in middle to upper management (lots of confusion); pay is always below or on lower end of industry average except for some management; company is direct/management heavy

Advice to Senior Managementshow employees they are valued

It was a blessing to work there

ProsAlot of opportunities for a hard work employee.

ConsBreakdown of communication & leadership issues

Good resources for student workers

Help Desk Student Worker (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsThe work environment is great, the company has good values, hours are flexible, and the senior staff is involved with all levels of the IT department.

ConsResources for workers can be limited, sometime you need to be very creative to solve problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementCertification reimbursements for student workers in IT related fields, would improve the quality of support at GCU, and allow student workers greater advancement opportunities after leaving GCU.

GCU--One of the Best If You Can Get In

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsThe benefits are outstanding for most employees. I am a contract worker so I do not qualify for things like free or reduced tuition and health care (there is an onsite clinic). However, I had no trouble getting a day off with pay when I fell ill. The instructors with whom I worked were all very professional, kind, and genuinely cared for their students. One was a bit anal about managing the classroom but it was nothing I could not handle.
    The campus itself is gorgeous and will be more so once the construction is complete. I do wish that a campus garden had been put in in place of the lush plants all around. It would be very nice to offer students organic produce on campus.

ConsFinding parking is hard! It's awful much of the time. I've been known to spend ten minutes trying to find open parking at various lots and the garage. It's a real issue. I do know that Canyon is constructing another structure soon.
    HR is very slow in giving feedback after you apply to jobs. It took over a year for me to get hired and the process is lengthy. After I got in, HR was very supportive.
    Pay in many jobs is below the average at other schools. If you pay professionals well, you will retain professionals.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about retaining quality employees rather than training all new ones every year. Raise compensation and increase autonomy.

Worked for Grand Canyon University? Contribute to the Community!