Grand Canyon University

Updated September 11, 2014
Updated September 11, 2014

Grand Canyon University CEO Brian Mueller
Brian Mueller

Pros
  • Starting with 4 weeks of vacation time, very good health benefits and free tuition (in 12 reviews)

• Growing company with great benefits (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • With the new campus they are building in East Mesa they are planning on laying off a lot of enrollment counselors (in 10 reviews)

• Most of the upper management consists of former connections from University of Phoenix (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Terrible company, treats employees poorly hides and behind "Christian" faith

Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Grand Canyon University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent benefits, easy access to campus as it is located right off interstate 17, they do have quite a few dining options on campus

Cons

Terrible executive leadership, the suits only care about money and they treat their employees terribly. Very strict call center environment to try to sell their education to everyone

Try to act on the Christian values that you preach when dealing with employees.

Very disappointing

Former Employee - Online Instructor  in  Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Online Instructor in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Grand Canyon University full-time for more than a year

Pros

The university offers a competitive salary, great health insurance packet and perks to attend games. There is potential.

Cons

Long hours, overwhelming instructor load, and little work/life balance leads to high burnout. From the enrollment counselors to instructors, customer service trumps all. The "for-profit" and customer-service mentality means that students enrolled are often at an academic and/or financial disadvantage. Instructors are pressured to grade quickly and with "grace" so that we can drum up more business. It's academically unethical. Sadly, many instructors only stay because of the free tuition for their family members.

Listen to your instructors. They are the content experts yet they are ignored and dismissed when they voice their concerns.

Unethical and unprofessional

Former Employee - Public Safety Officer  in  Glendale, AZ
    Former Employee - Public Safety Officer in Glendale, AZ

I worked at Grand Canyon University full-time for less than a year

Pros

None. The Public Safety Department is unethical. All of the supervisors staff try to have the line level officers to include falsified information in written reports because they wants the students or faculty at hand to be reprimanded to the fullest extent by the University board.

Cons

All of the supervisors have flat out said to entry level officers, "We can be replaced by the University at anytime. We all have kids and want them to go to school here for free. So don't any of you mess that up for us. We just want our kids to get free tuition then get out." Very unprofessional. Made me feel that safety is not any of their concern and there for I will get hurt because of their incompetence.

There needs to be an investigation as they pose a danger to the employees and students of the campus. Do not be blinded by them portraying that they are working to better the department because they are in no way showing any concern to employee or student safety.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Politics

I worked at Grand Canyon University

Pros

Compensation used to be great, no longer good

Cons

middle management is very poor and inappropriate

Reduce micromanagement

GCU is horrible and awful.

Current Employee - Faculty  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Faculty in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are no pros to GCU.

Cons

Plagiarism runs rampant for their online programs.

You should pray you do not lose your accreditation.

Ridged micromanagement, lack of support, corporate machine-like environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great health benefits! It’s one of the only area’s employees are given any choice over. I have better health insurance that I have had in many years.

Cons

- Micromanagement to the Nth degree!
    - Completely inflexible work schedules!
    - Totally unrealistic expectations! Set up for failure right from the start!
    - Why bother to offer PTO if employees can never actually use it!?!
    - The Employee Handbook reads like a pre-signed severance package. Proceed with caution! The policies are always changing (for both employees and for students). Can't keep up with it.
    - ZERO transparency! I don’t believe management has their employees or even the university students best interests in mind in their operational structure.
    - My department moved to a location off-campus a few months ago. It’s a warehouse, no windows, full of cubes in lines. Feels like an assembly line or sweatshop.
    -Very, very process heavy! They do not encourage any individuality or critical thinking at all. There is no such thing as autonomy in any way shape or form. Might as well be grade school with recess and bathroom breaks.

Lay off the process and pay attention to your people! They are your most valuable asset.

Leadership and management are NOT the same! People are valuable because of the individual knowledge they bring and share, NOT because they are body to fill a cube! You can hire a robot for that.

Fear tactics are terrible for motivation and employee retention! “Do it because I said so and I’m the boss” is not a good reason when you have smart, talented, employees who understand their value and the concept of critical thinking.

“In the new economy, where value comes increasingly from the knowledge of people, and where workers are no longer undifferentiated cogs in an industrial machine, management and leadership are not easily separated. People look to their managers, not just to assign them a task, but to define for them a purpose. And managers must organize workers, not just to maximize efficiency, but to nurture skills, develop talent and inspire results.” WSJ

I read somewhere that GCU hired nearly 900 people in 2013, which begs the questions, how many of those new hires are still employed by GCU? And how many are happy?

Not very professional

Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty  in  Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at Grand Canyon University for less than a year

Pros

The students as a whole were very motivated. There online format was not user friendly.

Cons

I came as a fairly new adjunct. The mentor assigned to me was disrespectful and not pleasant to work with. The pay is low; poor mentoring; communication poor; feedback poor. The culture was negative.

Improve mentoring

GCU is sadly a number mill hiding behind a false Christian front.

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

PTO is good but expectation is to make up work lost on return.

Cons

This is all about numbers and not students.

Biggest Scam in American History

Former Employee - Student Service Advisor  in  Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Student Service Advisor in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Grand Canyon University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

In a tough job market with our current economy, GCU pays well...

Cons

Unethical, Immoral, Illegal. As a Student Services Advisor (aka an Academic & Financial Aid Counselor) working for the online division of GCU, your days are spent talking on the phone to the WORST humans in the world; these people are NOT actually "online students", rather, they are individuals without jobs looking to get Federal Financial Aid stipend checks to live on, as opposed to having a job. The university classifies anyone with a valid U.S. social security number as a "student". GCU has no enrollment requirements for their online "degree programs". Nothing aside from a valid social security number is required in order to enroll at GCU and begin collecting Financial Aid. This includes the practice of allowing individuals who cannot show proof of a high school diploma the option to "self-certify" meaning that they have a phone conversation with a GCU Enrollment Counselor that includes a statement similar to the following: "Now, John, on your honor, do you promise us that you graduated high school? Yes? Okay, great! You can get a stipend check!"

99% of all of GCU's online students (60,000+ people) are working in the same way illegal immigrants who agree to work as drug mules, serve the Mexican cartels. The only reason GCU has online "students" is to move as much Federal Financial Aid over from the U.S. Government to Grand Canyon University. It is a fact that GCU (along with all other "for-profit universities") keeps 80% of the Financial Aid funds sent on behalf of their "students", and then sends the "students" a stipend check for the other 20%... It's a win-win for everybody! This is an environment where things happen on a daily basis that you TRULY have to "see it to believe it"...

Start hiring lawyers...

Exemplary service means nothing if you're not friends with power players.

Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor  in  Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Grand Canyon University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay. But I have to type 5 words here?

Cons

Pay for enrollment is comparatively high but the "pain" you will go through in this place is not worth it.
    Employees of 2 years + are considered "veterans"...
    They will lie to you and tell you the job is about servicing the students but please don't fall for this as counselor positions are all strictly numbers driven.
    Popularity over performance. All upper management is from UoP.
    The only thing consistent there is their inconsistency.

Take care of your employees and students. Be a Christian-based school like you say you are. Stop lying.

Grand Canyon University Photos

Grand Canyon University - Find Your Purpose!
Grand Canyon University Campus
Grand Canyon University Campus Promenade
Inside the school

+ Add Photo

Worked for Grand Canyon University? Contribute to the Community!