Grand Canyon University Reviews

Reset
3.1
Grand Canyon University CEO Brian Mueller
Brian Mueller

Pros
  • Free tuition and medical benefits (in 14 reviews)

• There are great benefits, salary, and people to work with (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • From the enrollment counselors to instructors, customer service trumps all (in 11 reviews)

• All upper management is from UoP (in 8 reviews)

Make sure you do your homework.

Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor
    Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor

I have been working at Grand Canyon University

Pros

Benefits are the best thing that you will get working at GCU. Some of your fellow co-workers help make it a better place to work.

Cons

Worst part about the job is the pressure on numbers, even though legally it is not supposed to be all about numbers, it is.

Advice to Management

While it is great to focus on growing your business remember that if you don't have a secure foundation you will crumble one day.

Would not recommend

I worked at Grand Canyon University

Pros

Free tuition - they pay for the cost of your tuition as long as you're an employee however with the way the company is being ran, the degree won't be worth the paper it's written on.

Cons

Horrible leadership. More concerned with money than education. Predatory recruiting tactics. Incompetent employees who sell education but most of them do not have college degrees - even though they pay for tuition. Management was horrible and the CEO is more concerned about stock prices than the value of the education.

Advice to Management

Focus your attention on your programs - your students are stakeholders too! If you continue to run the programs like degree mills, that's exactly what you are going to be.

The Keystone Cops of Online Education

Former Employee - Online Teacher in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Online Teacher in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Grand Canyon University

Pros

A relatively sound introduction to their online platform. Not much in the way of many online trainings at other institutions, where very inexperienced "trainers" barely participate in discussions about the very basics of educational theory, having little or no experience in the classroom. The training is lacking in a few areas, but is primarily very thorough run-through of the GCU system. As far as the system goes, there are very few surprises to encounter (with the platform) once you are teaching your first class.

Cons

Often laughably poor curriculum that cannot be altered by faculty in any way. The canned curriculum is questionable at Gen. Ed. (Freshmen) level, but is uniformly behind the times (by twenty or thirty years) in Sophomore to Senior level courses. I taught two separate semesters (my last two) where textbooks were not delivered to me for several weeks. No-one (not the GCU bookstore, not faculty "support," not the executives who then oversaw bookstore operations) responded to the very serious issue that I couldn't teach the course without the textbook. Generally, emails and voicemails tend to be ignored. Who was my supervisor? Academic Affairs? The Dean? Faculty Support? The Bookstore? This organization are so disorganized, I never knew who I reported to. If you need to contact HR about any issue whatsoever, don't expect a response. Many of the faculty support staff members were functionally illiterate (something I am qualified to assess), though they seemed to be trained to send one or two of around ten canned messages back to faculty members who had questions, no matter that these "answers" didn't really address the faculty members' questions.

Advice to Management

Who will do Quality Control for GCU? Will it be anyone at GCU (beyond the twenty-something functional illiterates who hold diploma-mill MAEds, and who are the primary contacts available to faculty members)? Or will it be the Higher Learning Commision? If you don't get a move on to build a fair workplace with sound communication at and between all levels of GCU, you may find that Washington, D.C. gets into the game of Quality Control themselves--and pulls the plush financial aid rug out from under you. (Lobbyists can only forestall this inevitability for so long!) Faculty members who are trying to create a solid learning environment at GCU are seriously impeded by an often untenable, always mandatory, canned curriculum, and our courses are held hostage by staff members who don't respond to emails or phone messages (as at the bookstore), or who CAN'T respond appropriately to problems in our online classrooms. My year trying to work for GCU should be something to be proud of on my resume--instead, it's an embarrassment that I have had to explain as a professional misstep.

5. Stay away

I have been working at Grand Canyon University

Pros

Go to school for free. Good vacation benefits.

Cons

Poor management skills which probably comes from no management training. No room for advancement unless you previously worked for UOP. All they care about is numbers and lots of cold calling.

Advice to Management

Brain this is not UOP so don't run it like UOP otherwise it will end up like UOP. Worry more about the educational side rather than being so money hungery.

Good Idea, Poor Management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Grand Canyon University

Pros

Great learning experience Nice campus Opportunity to supplement income with side jobs within the organization Great people to work with

Cons

Management is far removed from employees Just in time project management Too many changes too fast Management needs to talk with the worker bees before mandating near to impossible tasks.

Advice to Management

Stop and refine your product, rather than the 'grow grow grow' mentality just to make a profit Stop selling degrees- employ a minimum ed requirement for student so you don't get people who are writing at a third grade level passing college courses Flexibility to telecommute

7. GCU was a great place to work until they started hiring management from UoP.

I have been working at Grand Canyon University

Pros

As part of your benefit package GCU does pay for your tuition. GCU also offers an affordable and comprehensive health care benefit package.

Cons

The UoP management that was hired by GCU has driven employee moral into the ground. They care more about arbitrary numbers than they do about students. This is no longer an institution of higher learning, it is a money making machine.

Advice to Management

GCU needs to get back to the business of education. The leadership would do well to take time to listen to their staff and students, these people are already telling you what you need to do to improve.

If pay is all that matters to you, stay, but only if you can meet their requirements.

I worked at Grand Canyon University

Pros

Decent health insurance, free tuition paid for Bachelor's and Master's degrees which also extends to your spouse and I believe children of age.

Cons

Lack of communication - the training is terrible if this is your first admissions/enrollment job. In my training, they concentrated more on the computer system than on the actual degrees and how you deal with students. Very low morale. Management plays favorites ALL the time. I think leads (students) are manipulated in such a way that only the best Enrollment Counselors (ECs) get the good leads. They recycle leads (students). So when you first get out on the floor, they give you a bunch of recycled leads. People who might have expressed an interest in the school say 2-5 years ago and who CLEARLY are no longer interested. But they do this all of the time.

Advice to Management

You claim to be leaders, so LEAD!!! Train the financial counselors how to do their jobs instead of making the students want to leave/drop out because the financial counselors didn't give them correct information or were simply just rude. Train your employees. Don't have them just meet in a large room. Provide ongoing and UPDATED training materials. Degree programs should have more information relevant to the types of jobs people can get from obtaining their degree from GCU. Stop regionalizing and let everyone have their fair share and chance of getting students. In other words, don't just have an Arizona team that gets to enroll all the Arizonans.

GCU makes you believe you're making a difference, but you're driving people further in debt thru student loans.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University

Pros

Work from home. Great coworkers.

Cons

Unrealistic work hours...expect all outside sales to work 12 hour days. Abuse of university's Christian ties.

Advice to Management

Pray and go back to UOP

10. Inconsistent with approach to desired employee job goals and employee performance

Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor, Internet in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor, Internet in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Grand Canyon University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is relatively good for this position. The best benefits are the educational benefits. I and one other family member may attend school for just the cost of their books and lab fees. Tuition is pd for in full.

Cons

Expectations often conflicted between the manager, regional director and Vice president of the college I was in. I often did not know who wanted what and it appeared once one had a target placed on one's back, there was really no way of maintaining the position and staying on, no matter what one tried to do. Very high dismissal rate, as a result.

Advice to Management

Please make sure to align your goals and expectations with the VP in charge of the college, as without clarification and consistency, it is difficult to dance different dances for each manager in charge.

Christian for students, NOT employees

Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are good benefits and decent pay

Cons

For enrollment counselors, there is no opportunity to grow, and in most cases people are fighting to keep their job. This company has the worst training I have experienced at any previous employer, so employees are extremely ill-prepared. In my experience, I did not see one person promoted in the 14 months I have been with the company. In those months I saw 15 employees, on my team alone, either quit or get fired due to numbers. This company touts that they are a Christian school; however, do not treat their employees with any dignity or respect.

Advice to Management

Stop churning through employees, realize that the business is flawed, and do something to better prepare employees instead of forking out endless amounts of money training new ones that are also destined to fail like their predecessors.

RSS Feed </> Embed