Grand Canyon University Reviews

181 reviews filtered by
2.9
Grand Canyon University CEO Brian Mueller
Brian Mueller

Pros
  • Starting with 4 weeks of vacation time, very good health benefits and free tuition (in 14 reviews)

• Friendly environment, bonuses, great benefits, fantastic co-workers (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • With the new campus they are building in East Mesa they are planning on laying off a lot of enrollment counselors (in 11 reviews)

• Most of the upper management consists of former connections from University of Phoenix (in 8 reviews)

1. university development representative

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time

Pros

Flexible work schedule, work from home

Cons

You have essentially two full time jobs and get paid for one. You also only get measured based on student enrollment. Not the other parts of the job.

Advice to Management

Remember that a very large part of this job is building business relationships and scheduling events. Not only student enrollment.

2. Level 1 Technican

I worked at Grand Canyon University

Pros

Great job while attending school on campus

Cons

Pay is very low and not able to work over 20 hours

3. Great co-workers but ridiculous policies.

Current Employee - University Development Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - University Development Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The other UDR and ADR are for the most part really great people. I would have to say the same for most of the direct managers. The hours are pretty flexible and great pay initially.

Cons

Training is in no way sufficient and their expectations are ridiculous. he job was not fully explained in detail purposefully so that more requirements can be added. What appeared to be a great salary comes at a price. The flexible hours are more like a 60 hour work week with meetings and student appointments taking place at 2 am sometimes in hospitals and correction facilities. Since this salaried position comes with no overtime the pay is not that great. There seems to be some animosity from the inside team members you have to work with because of the pay difference but they don't understand the complexity of the position.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to stop being greedy and expecting blood from turnips. Expectations are so high that we are being asked by management to fudge a lot and its not right. Everyone is burning out and am not sure how much more I can take.

5. A place i enjoyed going to work at every day.

Former Employee - IT Engineer
    Former Employee - IT Engineer

I worked at Grand Canyon University full-time

Pros

In general every one seems very happy working here. You get a sense that they do care about their employees. In the IT department you sort of have the tale of two worlds. The system engineers seemed to be less happy and under more pressure where as other departments seem very happy. In general Direct Mangers are good and the CTO seems to have an idea of where the company should be.

Cons

The real failing is a CIO who lacks vision and any semblance of leadership. Poor decisions are made against the advice of the engineering experts designs. Then the engineer is expect to provide the desired results with the crippled budget.

Advice to Management

Get ride of your CIO he is causing damage to your very talented IT operations team.

6. Enrollment Counselor

I worked at Grand Canyon University

Pros

It had a fun team environment

Cons

There was too much sales pressure

Advice to Management

focus more on your students and less on your numbers

Rat in a wheel job

Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Grand Canyon University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people working for GCU create a unique culture because a lot of us are former employees of a different school. Education benefits are huge; however it is the ONLY benefit limited to your overall performance numbers.

Cons

This role has become a cold-calling routine. QC gets the initial chance to contact newest potential students before EC's are able to get their fair chance. By this time it is a cold calling scheme.

Work incentives are based on department directors discretion and will always be based around number of students recruited to the university.

EC's are paid hourly while managers are salary; managers often come in later than EC's but will write EC's up for being late for work. This is a common.

EC's are measured on soft-skills such as dials, talk-time (together called activity), quality assurance grades, and retention when it comes to an annual review. Some EC's have significantly less activity than other EC's but are compensated for more work completed. If you wonder why it is because of the unfairness and favoritism. Some EC's are handed students on a regular basis so their workday consist of managing their inflow of students while MOST EC's are ending their day with heavy activity but no students. It's a real life rat-in-a-wheel situation.

OH - even if you put in years with the company, try and give a two weeks notice and they will immediately walk you out.

Advice to Management

Counselors
    My deepest concern is how counselors will be able to consistently reach goals, adapt to sudden change, and stay within departmental limitations each and every month. Managers can coach all they want but they're not in control of a student's situation or inquiry's frustration with our phone calls. In perspective, here is a 2015 Enrollment Counselor job description:
        - Call leads QC cannot reach after x-amount of time
        - Cold Call an automated database aka MANAGE A DATABASE THAT MANAGES ITSELF
        - Use the work-que as a strategic cold calling method (because QC has likely called them plenty of times)
        - Click to dial is mandatory, not written. Dial as many as you possibly can. No gaps on the gap report.
        - Serve as middleman between SSA and Student on non-EC related topics
        - Expected to reach goal no matter the circumstance:
            ○ Bereavement, holiday's, vacations

If you're like me and have spend the better have of a decade with GCU, there will come a time where you do not want to worry about the "job" in exchange for a real peace of mind. It's become an impossible work-life balance for online EC's. We do not get any credit for our efforts unless a student COMPLETES two classes.

WE DO NOT GET CREDIT FOR OUR JOB UNTIL TWO PASSING GRADES ARE POSTED AFTER 16 WEEKS.

Pay
    Believe it or not we are held accountable for generating roughly $200k per year (4 starts per month, 3 completing second course each month) - please do your math because the numbers are scary. Pay raises are said to be up to 4% but it seems like our pay is usually raised by <4%...not even the 'or equal to' part applies.

Since incentives are based on current averages and evaluations are based on annual performance, what on earth does loyalty get us? No matter how long we've been here putting in hard work, we're only as good as our three month average. AZ Reps have the same expectations as non-AZ Reps; however BIZ ONLY counselors have the same expectations as those who can enroll for every program. THIS IS NOT FAIR TO YOUR MOST LOYAL EMPLOYEES.

Ethical Issue
    With tuition being "frozen" at the Title IV aggregate limit for undergraduate student's (even those with fewer than 60 credits) I began to feel financially sorry for some of our students seeking an honest chance. We are either ripping people off who really want their education or we are ripping those off who do not belong in college.

Structure
    Tenured employees are treated the same as new employees out of training, only with one exception: PTO accrual. All I am saying is there is already enough misleading directions on how we should work …we could at least be housed in a more modern-day office setting. Instead, we are an online-based department with the s-l-o-wwwwwest technology pieces. This job has become too much of a "job" for us; there are so many soft-skills and must-do's on my computer now in order to enroll a student. Seriously, what about our purpose? That is not what an Enrollment Counselor used to be, should be, and no longer what I am going to be.

8. Student Position in Call Center

I worked at Grand Canyon University

Pros

There was flexible hours, coworkers were very friendly and welcoming

Cons

SO BORING, sitting in a cubicle all day, poor pay,

Numbers driven.

I worked at Grand Canyon University

Pros

Great Coworkers and decent Pay. The Lunch room is very nice. Free education.

Cons

Brian Muller is drives this sinking ship. Once a University of Phoenix guy that uses Christian values to promote education. This is a business. The admissions reps are sales people period. You have a head set and make calls all day trying to find hit your monthly goal to keep your job. If your good at signing up students or well liked by a manager your safe. But for the majority of employees your days are numbers if you don't hit your sales quota. Being trapped in on giant call center with a head set all day isn't fun. Especially with a manager always hovering over you to make sure your hitting your phone dials.

Advice to Management

stop focusing on profits and listen to staff. Look into the high turnover rates. This school has a reputation diploma mill and needs to reevaluate the business model. This school has lots of potential and has decent programs.

Working online at GCU!

Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Grand Canyon University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Reasonable pay, some good benefits are offered, training available as is for full time, tech support was good.

Cons

If you are a PhD, you have a master's degree level employee completing your evaluations!
    My last course eval person with a master's basically alluded to the fact I should make my comments for APA errors minimal. I spot checked student performance and was receiving 47%-98% similarity scores from TurnItIn. Certainly, these needed to be addressed in grading comments, not just merely mentioned.
    If you are an online adjunct professor and get ill or injured...they could care less!

Advice to Management

I hold no animosity with GCU, but my cons comments explains what I feel unjust and unprofessional, but I was punished for doing the right thing. It seems to me that numbers are more important than quality, but perhaps that's the new trend in higher education. Please take better care of your online adjuncts.

11. good overall

I worked at Grand Canyon University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

free education is the best reason to work here

Cons

constant change keeps people from developing any kind of system

Advice to Management

care more about the employees. They are not just number.

Grand Canyon University Photos