Grand Canyon University Reviews

1. Decent

Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Grand Canyon University

Pros

Massive school discounts for people that need education. Good job if you like to sell 30-50k degree to someone that is poor desperate and only going to get 4 classes done and hang debt on them.

Cons

They don't pay, the best part about this job is working for the school benefit.

Advice to Management

Figure out a way to better compensate employees other than free school. Have more team building activities. If your not going to pay make the teams smaller for more management advancement opportunities.

2. GCU

Current Employee - Student Service Advisor
    Current Employee - Student Service Advisor

I have been working at Grand Canyon University

Pros

Fun environment, cool people,tuition and health benefits.

Cons

Your success and happiness is highly contingent on your management- and unfortunately not all management is created equal.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people when they address concerns. Try to find true solutions to problems instead of referring back to canned scripts.

3. Good Company; Happy Employee

I worked at Grand Canyon University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good corporate culture
    Transparency and growth opportunities

Cons

growth fast but capped at higher levels

Great Company, Great People, Great University.

Current Employee - University Development Representative
    Current Employee - University Development Representative

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent salary, great people but mostly student are very very satisfied which gives my job a clear purpose. Its easy to get passionate about GCUs mission and values. No other university can offer this.

Cons

Metrics and numbers put a damper on all the great things happening at the university. Dual roles UDR / EC not the best decision as it hinders business development opportunities for those who know and understand how that is done.

Advice to Management

Let ECs be ECs and UDRs be UDRs. There IS a difference. Have inside team work more on outside team students and increase work to be done in the field for outside reps. This is the only thing that makes sense.

Numbers driven.

I worked at Grand Canyon University

Pros

Great Coworkers and decent Pay. The Lunch room is very nice. Free education.

Cons

Brian Muller is drives this sinking ship. Once a University of Phoenix guy that uses Christian values to promote education. This is a business. The admissions reps are sales people period. You have a head set and make calls all day trying to find hit your monthly goal to keep your job. If your good at signing up students or well liked by a manager your safe. But for the majority of employees your days are numbers if you don't hit your sales quota. Being trapped in on giant call center with a head set all day isn't fun. Especially with a manager always hovering over you to make sure your hitting your phone dials.

Advice to Management

stop focusing on profits and listen to staff. Look into the high turnover rates. This school has a reputation diploma mill and needs to reevaluate the business model. This school has lots of potential and has decent programs.

7. Enrollment Counselor

I have been working at Grand Canyon University

Pros

Good pay, some depts. off work from home, great PTO time

Cons

flat organization, once you become a manager you really can't move up unless you move to the main campus, no variety in the work so it can be tedious, a lot of pressure to meet #'s

Advice to Management

Create activities to shake-up the monotony of the day and engage your team.

Micromanaged in Doctoral

Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor Doctoral in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor Doctoral in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

"Free" tuition. You pay taxes on your tuition for masters and doctoral classes. It is not free. You will pay 10-33% directly from your paycheck.

Cons

Micromanagement is terrible. We get told not to leave our desks at certain times. Our manager keeps track of bathroom breaks inaccurately and then accuses us of taking longer breaks.
    Lately marketing has been failing big time and management refused to hear it for month and months. It took rumors of layoffs and people leaving for them to finally take a hint that it's not us, it's them. They said that they'd use "natural attrition" instead of layoffs. Basically they stopped buying leads and forced people to leave for poor performance.
      Most people don't finish this program so we are basically enrolling people with high debt already into the program. I've seen students with 180-250k in loans. GCU is taking advantage of them.
    There is 0 chances for mobility in doctoral. Especially for the women. Making a lateral move out isn't even an option. You are stuck once you get there.
    Numbers have been impossible lately. Our goal is 4 but lately getting 2 is good.
    Also the salary sucks. This division is known for not giving the full 4% yearly raise. And don't expect the highest yearly raise of around 3% unless you are a man.

Advice to Management

Stop taking away our perks because management dropped the ball on marketing. The entire division is failing and is wasn't because we got that extra break. It's because management stopped buying leads. And stop telling us that robots could do our job in division meetings. They can't. It's demeaning. I think I could pay robots to find leads better for us than you.
    There's too much talk about how great doctoral is and little action to make it great. All we have seen you do lately is micromanage more and take away our perks like breaks. And stop telling us we will get a soda machine and then not deliver on your word. And nobody wanted soda anyway! Ask us what we want, not what you want. Make it a better place by doing positive things for us. Also, stop telling us about you in division meetings. Those meetings are not about you and how busy you are. It's about us and how busy we aren't.

9. Outstanding CEO vision

Current Employee - Admissions Representative
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

work life balance; education benefits, community involvement, mission and vision of the organization

Cons

high number focus, unrealistic expectations, inconsistent management

Great Company with a clear vision

Current Employee - Student Service Advisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Student Service Advisor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

GCU has plans to really improve the surrounding community and do a lot of good by providing a quality education for future leaders. You get great benefits like tuition coverage and decent health insurance and the compensation (at least in the student services department) is adequate

Cons

Sometimes Upper Management fails to see the impacts of their decisions and our department has some excessive expectations.

11. Best organization I've ever worked for!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits. Everyone has a voice, you're not just a number. Respect for each other. Christian Environment, can openly share your faith at work! Great PTO Package

Cons

To get those great company benefits, you will work really hard. Each day, everyone is very focused - not a job you can slack off in.

Advice to Management

Always remember your passion for the GCU Community

Grand Canyon University Photos