Grand Canyon University Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014
Updated August 28, 2014

Grand Canyon University CEO Brian Mueller
Brian Mueller

Pros
  • benifits are good - employees and 2 of their kids can receive free tuition; flexible schedule when needed (in 11 reviews)

• GCU has a good benefits package (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Most of the upper management consists of former connections from University of Phoenix (in 8 reviews)

• Enrollment counselors pressured to meet a monthly quota, and under alot of pressure to enroll as many students as possible (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Ridged micromanagement, lack of support, corporate machine-like environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great health benefits! It’s one of the only area’s employees are given any choice over. I have better health insurance that I have had in many years.

Cons

- Micromanagement to the Nth degree!
    - Completely inflexible work schedules!
    - Totally unrealistic expectations! Set up for failure right from the start!
    - Why bother to offer PTO if employees can never actually use it!?!
    - The Employee Handbook reads like a pre-signed severance package. Proceed with caution! The policies are always changing (for both employees and for students). Can't keep up with it.
    - ZERO transparency! I don’t believe management has their employees or even the university students best interests in mind in their operational structure.
    - My department moved to a location off-campus a few months ago. It’s a warehouse, no windows, full of cubes in lines. Feels like an assembly line or sweatshop.
    -Very, very process heavy! They do not encourage any individuality or critical thinking at all. There is no such thing as autonomy in any way shape or form. Might as well be grade school with recess and bathroom breaks.

Lay off the process and pay attention to your people! They are your most valuable asset.

Leadership and management are NOT the same! People are valuable because of the individual knowledge they bring and share, NOT because they are body to fill a cube! You can hire a robot for that.

Fear tactics are terrible for motivation and employee retention! “Do it because I said so and I’m the boss” is not a good reason when you have smart, talented, employees who understand their value and the concept of critical thinking.

“In the new economy, where value comes increasingly from the knowledge of people, and where workers are no longer undifferentiated cogs in an industrial machine, management and leadership are not easily separated. People look to their managers, not just to assign them a task, but to define for them a purpose. And managers must organize workers, not just to maximize efficiency, but to nurture skills, develop talent and inspire results.” WSJ

I read somewhere that GCU hired nearly 900 people in 2013, which begs the questions, how many of those new hires are still employed by GCU? And how many are happy?

Awesome Experience!

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Students and staff are polite, respectful, and caring. Whole atmosphere is positive and very little stress. Hybrid approach (coursework on computer but students attend class) is very nice and makes teaching easier. The curriculum was already set up for me, which was nice, but I was encouraged to add my own information to it, which was even nicer. Had complete freedom to teach in any manner I chose within the framework I was given. LOTS of professional development opportunities. Collaborative environment. The absolute best students and the best teaching job I have EVER had.

Cons

Most instructors are adjunct so there is very little opportunity to work full time.

Provide more full time, permanent opportunities for the better adjunct faculty members. Otherwise, keep doing what you are doing.

I love GCU, however sometimes I feel that I am just a piece of a machine rather than a valued person.

Pros

A beautiful, ever-changing work environment (Phoenix campus).

Cons

Little room for advancement.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I gained a lot of experience as an entry level employee.

Former Employee - Call Center Specialist  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Call Center Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Grand Canyon University full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are great benefits, salary, and people to work with. The culture is vibrant and growing. There are opportunities to stand out in the fast paced environment. The management and administration demonstrates their appreciation for hard work and commitment.

Cons

There are not a lot of opportunities to promote from within. It is easy to get caught up in performance statistics and the changing policies. There is lacking room for flexibility in adjusting to the customers' needs. If there were more room for flexibility and the policies weren't so strict, there would definitely be more of a loyal consumer base.

Qualify assurance could definitely use some work. It's the 21st Century, and the performance statistics are important, but superior customer service is what consumers are looking for. In order to take this organization to the next level, you need to move away from the strict policies and allow the employees to genuinely serve your customers without worrying about meeting a certain quota everyday.

Not very professional

Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty  in  Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at Grand Canyon University for less than a year

Pros

The students as a whole were very motivated. There online format was not user friendly.

Cons

I came as a fairly new adjunct. The mentor assigned to me was disrespectful and not pleasant to work with. The pay is low; poor mentoring; communication poor; feedback poor. The culture was negative.

Improve mentoring

Current employee- Enrollement - Online College of Theology. nothing but a sales job

Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time for less than a year

Pros

many, many company perks. plenty of PTO- they will give you "lopes time off"/paid time - to go to the campus and support the sports teams. the give out alot of freebies to their employees and generally (company-speaking) try to make their employees happy

Cons

the enrollment is 100% a sales job. it is not about doing what is best for the student or seeing if their program is a good fit for what the student wants to do. I have worked at a few different online colleges and have never felt so much pressure to "enroll" to meet my monthly quota. keep in mind, I am about to be walked out for not meeting my monthly "expectations" for enrollment numbers - so my view is pretty negative right now. I am a single mother of a young child and really hate being thrown into the unemployment line again. I did all that I could do to speak to as many people as possible. I have had the highest number of dials and talk time for months- but I refuse to force somebody into a school debt that they are not yet prepared for. I requested to switch to a different division where I have more experience in, and was denied. I requested to have additional training in my college I enroll for to help me to see the benefits of this specific degree- and was denied. I have done everything on my part to be successful- other than lying to get a student to start ASAP to meet "my numbers". I transfer at least 3-6 people a week to College of business, Education, or healthcare because those programs would be a better fit for the student's goals- but I get no credit for those students because I can ONLY enroll for College of Theology

I feel as though I was lied to. I was hired on with the understanding that you put your people and your students first. I was told in training that it was OK to say no- and that we are supposed to give 100% clarity during our enrollment process- to be "transparent" with our students. I have done this- they have made the decision that Christian studies was not for them- and I am being punished for it. I don't feel that is right.

Bad Management and Lack of Support

Former Employee - University Development Representative
    Former Employee - University Development Representative

I worked at Grand Canyon University full-time for more than a year

Pros

They do provide great pay and tools to help you succeed in position. The back office support was great. If I needed marketing materials for events it was immediately provided. The faculty and student support is also great.

Cons

Terrible management, it makes all the difference in my particular position. Once you start very minimal support in the field and corporate training I received didn't really pertain to the position. At times I felt the Manager didn't even know what they were doing and I needed help from others in the feild. I should have reviewed the position longer and took notice to the salary advertisement. Also right after my training a new class was about to start a week later, which tells you something about turnover.

The management is the last to go, invest more into coaching and hiring the right management talent.

GCU is a for-profit business, not a Christian school

Former Employee - Business Development  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Business Development in Denver, CO

I worked at Grand Canyon University full-time for less than a year

Pros

My boss was 600 miles away.

Cons

My boss was only 600 miles away. Business development was launched with zero prior research into markets. Then our team was constantly pressured to perform despite the lack of hospitals and access in our markets, relative to the conditions in Phoenix that they assumed were similar everywhere. Then we were laid off.

Listen to and solicit feedback from the front-line staff who actually interface with prospective students.

GCU has the potential to be a really good place to work, but it has some issues to address.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time for more than a year

Pros

GCU has a strong brand, has a solid business model (for now) and is the best among the for-profit online education companies.

My team and stakeholders are good to work with.

GCU has a good benefits package.

Cons

Compensation is sub-par. If I leave, it will be the primary reason. No benchmarking takes place. Salaries determined by guessing what the job should be paid and/or the personal preferences of the VPs and their staff managers.

Very little long range strategic planning occurs. A lot of what we do is reactionary. Very little consideration is given to the systemic impacts of decisions.

Need to stop low balling employees with regards to pay. If you don't fairly compensate your employees, then you are inviting solid performers to leave as there is no financial incentive to stay. Be fair to employees who are working hard by allowing them to share in the financial rewards. A variable pay component to the compensation plan would be fantastic.

Also, don't nickel and dime employees when it comes to expense reimbursements, relocations packages, annual increases and bonuses.

While I appreciate receiving a bonus at Christmas, the amount of the bonus was a joke and rather insulting considering the hard work that I put into GCU during the year.

GCU is sadly a number mill hiding behind a false Christian front.

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

PTO is good but expectation is to make up work lost on return.

Cons

This is all about numbers and not students.

Worked for Grand Canyon University? Contribute to the Community!