Grand Canyon University

Updated January 25, 2015
2.8

Grand Canyon University CEO Brian Mueller
Brian Mueller

Pros
  • Starting with 4 weeks of vacation time, very good health benefits and free tuition (in 14 reviews)

• Friendly environment, bonuses, great benefits, fantastic co-workers (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • With the new campus they are building in East Mesa they are planning on laying off a lot of enrollment counselors (in 11 reviews)

• Most of the upper management consists of former connections from University of Phoenix (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Operations and Academics don't mix

Former Employee - Full Service University Development Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at Grand Canyon University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Benefits are fantastic. Strong growth market. Home campus in Phoenix is amazing. The CEO is a very dynamic leader.

Cons

Training is sub-par. Company does not live up to its values on the operations side. Management communication is very poor. Work life balance is almost non-existent in this position. CEO cannot live up to the promises he is making.

Terrible company, treats employees poorly hides and behind "Christian" faith

Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Grand Canyon University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits, easy access to campus as it is located right off interstate 17, they do have quite a few dining options on campus

Cons

Terrible executive leadership, the suits only care about money and they treat their employees terribly. Very strict call center environment to try to sell their education to everyone

Try to act on the Christian values that you preach when dealing with employees.

Overall, GCU is a great company!

Former Employee - Student Service Advisor in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Student Service Advisor in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Grand Canyon University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing benefits, free education, flexible schedule, great pay, and wonderful people. Expectations are straightforward and can be an ideal company for a worker with an "honest days work for an honest days pay" mentality. Come to work, do your job, and you will be successful.

Cons

Close cubicle/telemarketing work environment, minimal management/leadership development, and inflexible enrollment expectations. Team happiness and development can often be reliant on the personality and motivation of the assigned manager and their willingness to lead.

Weekly one-on-ones and request continual feedback from current and veteran employees.

Very disappointing

Former Employee - Online Instructor in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Online Instructor in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Grand Canyon University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The university offers a competitive salary, great health insurance packet and perks to attend games. There is potential.

Cons

Long hours, overwhelming instructor load, and little work/life balance leads to high burnout. From the enrollment counselors to instructors, customer service trumps all. The "for-profit" and customer-service mentality means that students enrolled are often at an academic and/or financial disadvantage. Instructors are pressured to grade quickly and with "grace" so that we can drum up more business. It's academically unethical. Sadly, many instructors only stay because of the free tuition for their family members.

Listen to your instructors. They are the content experts yet they are ignored and dismissed when they voice their concerns.

roller coaster ride at times, confusing, & stressful

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

benifits are good - employees and 2 of their kids can receive free tuition; flexible schedule when needed

Cons

advancement is about who you know and how well you please them; little to no training for new employees outside of enrollment/financial/advisement counselors; management doesn't see the value & do not speak of continual training to better selves within current positions outside of obtaining another degree; very poor communication in middle to upper management (lots of confusion); pay is always below or on lower end of industry average except for some management; company is direct/management heavy

show employees they are valued

It was a blessing to work there

I have been working at Grand Canyon University

Pros

Alot of opportunities for a hard work employee.

Cons

Breakdown of communication & leadership issues

Good resources for student workers

Current Employee - Help Desk Student Worker in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Help Desk Student Worker in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work environment is great, the company has good values, hours are flexible, and the senior staff is involved with all levels of the IT department.

Cons

Resources for workers can be limited, sometime you need to be very creative to solve problems.

Certification reimbursements for student workers in IT related fields, would improve the quality of support at GCU, and allow student workers greater advancement opportunities after leaving GCU.

GCU--One of the Best If You Can Get In

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

The benefits are outstanding for most employees. I am a contract worker so I do not qualify for things like free or reduced tuition and health care (there is an onsite clinic). However, I had no trouble getting a day off with pay when I fell ill. The instructors with whom I worked were all very professional, kind, and genuinely cared for their students. One was a bit anal about managing the classroom but it was nothing I could not handle.
    The campus itself is gorgeous and will be more so once the construction is complete. I do wish that a campus garden had been put in in place of the lush plants all around. It would be very nice to offer students organic produce on campus.

Cons

Finding parking is hard! It's awful much of the time. I've been known to spend ten minutes trying to find open parking at various lots and the garage. It's a real issue. I do know that Canyon is constructing another structure soon.
    HR is very slow in giving feedback after you apply to jobs. It took over a year for me to get hired and the process is lengthy. After I got in, HR was very supportive.
    Pay in many jobs is below the average at other schools. If you pay professionals well, you will retain professionals.

Think about retaining quality employees rather than training all new ones every year. Raise compensation and increase autonomy.

Great place

I have been working at Grand Canyon University

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

None everyone is nice to work with

Eh it's okay for the short term.

Current Employee - Student Service Advisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Student Service Advisor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Hours, relaxed dress code, quarterly meetings, paid 1/2 day once a month. Work from home options are nice if you earn them.

Cons

Specially, my role as a SSA was awful. Typically there is more work given to you than there were hours in a week. If you miss a day of work, you'll be spending the entire week in a panic since you are so behind. Gcu knew this but in my year there there was little done to improve the role and make us less inundated with repetitive tasks caused by using cheap software. Technology-wise, they are 10 years behind univ of phx but only a few years ahead of other competition.

Changed the fear culture and be clear with expectations. Stop using DOE excuses as to why you cannot incentivize employees. It is certainly possible and would be able to keep the quality employees to hang around just a bit longer.

Grand Canyon University Photos