Grand Canyon University Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. excellent employer with great benefits!

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time

Pros

Wonderful Christian atmosphere and family friendly.

Cons

I have no complaints regarding this company.

Advice to Management

Continue the growth.

2. Call Center- Qualifying Specialist

Former Employee - Qualifying Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Qualifying Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Grand Canyon University (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours. Easy. Great for college students.

Cons

You will have a lot of people yell at you on the phone. Other than that, it is a great job for a student

Stay away

I worked at Grand Canyon University full-time

Pros

Good pay, nice people overall

Cons

Management is in over their heads. Unqualified people everywhere more concerned with justifying why they actually have the jobs they have instead of the quality of work they produce. High turnover throughout the company. Employees are viewed as disposable parts.

Advice to Management

Care more about students after they enroll.

university development representative

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time

Pros

Flexible work schedule, work from home

Cons

You have essentially two full time jobs and get paid for one. You also only get measured based on student enrollment. Not the other parts of the job.

Advice to Management

Remember that a very large part of this job is building business relationships and scheduling events. Not only student enrollment.

Struggling to find purpose

Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent salaries, good benefits, tuition reimbursement, and lots of opportunity for growth and advancement are all good reasons for working at Grand Canyon University.

Cons

The biggest challenges of working at Grand Canyon University (GCU) involve the publicly-traded, for-profit nature of Grand Canyon Education, Inc. (LOPE), and the inevitable difficulty of trying to juggle 1. student demands for academic quality with 2. employee demands for job-of-choice careers and 3. shareholder demands for ever-increasing revenues, new student enrollments, and market share.

Advice to Management

Abandon the recent trend towards GAP report micromanagement and instead focus on the reasons why the corporate culture at GCU continues to deteriorate. Why is it that outside of learning about it in training or maybe seeing it on occasional posters in the break room, that the vision, mission, and purpose of the University is never discussed?

Level 1 Technican

Pros

Great job while attending school on campus

Cons

Pay is very low and not able to work over 20 hours

A place i enjoyed going to work at every day.

Former Employee - IT Engineer
    Former Employee - IT Engineer

I worked at Grand Canyon University full-time

Pros

In general every one seems very happy working here. You get a sense that they do care about their employees. In the IT department you sort of have the tale of two worlds. The system engineers seemed to be less happy and under more pressure where as other departments seem very happy. In general Direct Mangers are good and the CTO seems to have an idea of where the company should be.

Cons

The real failing is a CIO who lacks vision and any semblance of leadership. Poor decisions are made against the advice of the engineering experts designs. Then the engineer is expect to provide the desired results with the crippled budget.

Advice to Management

Get ride of your CIO he is causing damage to your very talented IT operations team.

Enrollment Counselor

Pros

It had a fun team environment

Cons

There was too much sales pressure

Advice to Management

focus more on your students and less on your numbers

Doctoral professional

Former Employee - Doctoral Admission in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Doctoral Admission in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Grand Canyon University full-time

Pros

Great marketing. Attractive buildings. Nice campus

Cons

Phoney Upper Management. They talk the talk, but rarely walk the walk. People feared for their jobs. Upper Management would go into meetings and go into "screaming" tirades. People knew that anyone that the CEO brought with him from university of Phoenix had better not tick them off, because they would find a reason to get rid of you. they would complain about "Washington" being against their "for profit" status. Not the kind of thing for a religious university should be doing. Bashing our National leaders is not something that should be embraced in group meetings. Their pay is pathetic. They are spending way too much money on buying our apartments that house Phoenix's poor, and purchasing country clubs is a joke!

Advice to Management

Mueller should have been prohibited from bringing his cronies with him.

Rat in a wheel job

Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Grand Canyon University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people working for GCU create a unique culture because a lot of us are former employees of a different school. Education benefits are huge; however it is the ONLY benefit limited to your overall performance numbers.

Cons

This role has become a cold-calling routine. QC gets the initial chance to contact newest potential students before EC's are able to get their fair chance. By this time it is a cold calling scheme. Work incentives are based on department directors discretion and will always be based around number of students recruited to the university. EC's are paid hourly while managers are salary; managers often come in later than EC's but will write EC's up for being late for work. This is a common. EC's are measured on soft-skills such as dials, talk-time (together called activity), quality assurance grades, and retention when it comes to an annual review. Some EC's have significantly less activity than other EC's but are compensated for more work completed. If you wonder why it is because of the unfairness and favoritism. Some EC's are handed students on a regular basis so their workday consist of managing their inflow of students while MOST EC's are ending their day with heavy activity but no students. It's a real life rat-in-a-wheel situation. OH - even if you put in years with the company, try and give a two weeks notice and they will immediately walk you out.

Advice to Management

Counselors My deepest concern is how counselors will be able to consistently reach goals, adapt to sudden change, and stay within departmental limitations each and every month. Managers can coach all they want but they're not in control of a student's situation or inquiry's frustration with our phone calls. In perspective, here is a 2015 Enrollment Counselor job description: - Call leads QC cannot reach after x-amount of time - Cold Call an automated database aka MANAGE A DATABASE THAT MANAGES ITSELF - Use the work-que as a strategic cold calling method (because QC has likely called them plenty of times) - Click to dial is mandatory, not written. Dial as many as you possibly can. No gaps on the gap report. - Serve as middleman between SSA and Student on non-EC related topics - Expected to reach goal no matter the circumstance: ○ Bereavement, holiday's, vacations If you're like me and have spend the better have of a decade with GCU, there will come a time where you do not want to worry about the "job" in exchange for a real peace of mind. It's become an impossible work-life balance for online EC's. We do not get any credit for our efforts unless a student COMPLETES two classes. WE DO NOT GET CREDIT FOR OUR JOB UNTIL TWO PASSING GRADES ARE POSTED AFTER 16 WEEKS. Pay Believe it or not we are held accountable for generating roughly $200k per year (4 starts per month, 3 completing second course each month) - please do your math because the numbers are scary. Pay raises are said to be up to 4% but it seems like our pay is usually raised by <4%...not even the 'or equal to' part applies. Since incentives are based on current averages and evaluations are based on annual performance, what on earth does loyalty get us? No matter how long we've been here putting in hard work, we're only as good as our three month average. AZ Reps have the same expectations as non-AZ Reps; however BIZ ONLY counselors have the same expectations as those who can enroll for every program. THIS IS NOT FAIR TO YOUR MOST LOYAL EMPLOYEES. Ethical Issue With tuition being "frozen" at the Title IV aggregate limit for undergraduate student's (even those with fewer than 60 credits) I began to feel financially sorry for some of our students seeking an honest chance. We are either ripping people off who really want their education or we are ripping those off who do not belong in college. Structure Tenured employees are treated the same as new employees out of training, only with one exception: PTO accrual. All I am saying is there is already enough misleading directions on how we should work …we could at least be housed in a more modern-day office setting. Instead, we are an online-based department with the s-l-o-wwwwwest technology pieces. This job has become too much of a "job" for us; there are so many soft-skills and must-do's on my computer now in order to enroll a student. Seriously, what about our purpose? That is not what an Enrollment Counselor used to be, should be, and no longer what I am going to be.

RSS Feed </> Embed