Grand Canyon University Reviews

Micromanaged in Doctoral

Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor Doctoral in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor Doctoral in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

"Free" tuition. You pay taxes on your tuition for masters and doctoral classes. It is not free. You will pay 10-33% directly from your paycheck.

Cons

Micromanagement is terrible. We get told not to leave our desks at certain times. Our manager keeps track of bathroom breaks inaccurately and then accuses us of taking longer breaks.
    Lately marketing has been failing big time and management refused to hear it for month and months. It took rumors of layoffs and people leaving for them to finally take a hint that it's not us, it's them. They said that they'd use "natural attrition" instead of layoffs. Basically they stopped buying leads and forced people to leave for poor performance.
      Most people don't finish this program so we are basically enrolling people with high debt already into the program. I've seen students with 180-250k in loans. GCU is taking advantage of them.
    There is 0 chances for mobility in doctoral. Especially for the women. Making a lateral move out isn't even an option. You are stuck once you get there.
    Numbers have been impossible lately. Our goal is 4 but lately getting 2 is good.
    Also the salary sucks. This division is known for not giving the full 4% yearly raise. And don't expect the highest yearly raise of around 3% unless you are a man.

Advice to Management

Stop taking away our perks because management dropped the ball on marketing. The entire division is failing and is wasn't because we got that extra break. It's because management stopped buying leads. And stop telling us that robots could do our job in division meetings. They can't. It's demeaning. I think I could pay robots to find leads better for us than you.
    There's too much talk about how great doctoral is and little action to make it great. All we have seen you do lately is micromanage more and take away our perks like breaks. And stop telling us we will get a soda machine and then not deliver on your word. And nobody wanted soda anyway! Ask us what we want, not what you want. Make it a better place by doing positive things for us. Also, stop telling us about you in division meetings. Those meetings are not about you and how busy you are. It's about us and how busy we aren't.

2. Enrollment Counselor

I have been working at Grand Canyon University

Pros

Good pay, some depts. off work from home, great PTO time

Cons

flat organization, once you become a manager you really can't move up unless you move to the main campus, no variety in the work so it can be tedious, a lot of pressure to meet #'s

Advice to Management

Create activities to shake-up the monotony of the day and engage your team.

3. Outstanding CEO vision

Current Employee - Admissions Representative
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

work life balance; education benefits, community involvement, mission and vision of the organization

Cons

high number focus, unrealistic expectations, inconsistent management

Great Company with a clear vision

Current Employee - Student Service Advisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Student Service Advisor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

GCU has plans to really improve the surrounding community and do a lot of good by providing a quality education for future leaders. You get great benefits like tuition coverage and decent health insurance and the compensation (at least in the student services department) is adequate

Cons

Sometimes Upper Management fails to see the impacts of their decisions and our department has some excessive expectations.

6. Best organization I've ever worked for!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits. Everyone has a voice, you're not just a number. Respect for each other. Christian Environment, can openly share your faith at work! Great PTO Package

Cons

To get those great company benefits, you will work really hard. Each day, everyone is very focused - not a job you can slack off in.

Advice to Management

Always remember your passion for the GCU Community

Unless you worked with current management at UOP- do not expect advancement.

Former Employee - Doctoral Enrollment in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Doctoral Enrollment in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Grand Canyon University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

close to home and livable wage and excelent benefits

Cons

GCU is becoming UOP only with "Christian values", which if someone has to keep telling you they are a "good Christian" then the red flag should go up.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the incompetent management staff, favoritism is not a good example of leadership as is telling everyone they are "so luckly to have a job" in every department meeting opening statement and current management has fired many individual's who were highly qualified and dedicated to GCU and the "vision" and would be closer to the goals if favoritism, lack of department leadership, dictatorship attitude of instilling fear of being terminated along with lack of support for tenured employees with a proven history.

8. Good Job

Current Employee - University Development Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - University Development Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay compared to industry standards, benefits, PTO/Holidays, free education, university continues to grow in stark contrast to others in for-profit education.

Cons

Work-life balance, professional development opportunities, industry is not necessarily stable, job responsibilities consistently increase without subsequent increase in pay, performance based pay is not possible due to industry regulations

Great company

Current Employee - Public Safety Officer in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Public Safety Officer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, great vacation benefits and holidays.

Cons

Hard to promote. Human resources aren't really on top of recruiting.

10. Great place to work

Current Employee - Compliance Analyst in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Compliance Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

tuition reimbursement Salary benefits work life balance

Cons

new department still putting the pieces together

Advice to Management

Don't take on too many roles

Decent company

Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great starting salary and 4 weeks PTO in your first year.

Cons

Online enrollment counselor position is not very exciting and extremely repetitive after a while. Turn over rate is pretty high. I have had 4 managers and only been in my position for 20 months.

RSS Feed </> Embed