Grand Canyon University Reviews

• Tempe, AZ
2.4
Grand Canyon University CEO Brian Mueller
Brian Mueller

This is a high pressure sales job, if you enjoy sales you'll like this job

Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The compensation is above average for the industry, you get educational benefits so getting another Master's degree is almost free. you have off on national holidays and the vacation package is good as well. the people are great and you'll enjoy working with your colleagues.

Cons

This is a high pressure sales job and you have a performance matrix to meet. some specific metrics are the number of dials per day, talk time on the phone, and most importantly number of enrollments ( they call it first and second course completion). NO ONE can meet these metrics every month - there are slow enrollment months in the year, and they will write up employees who fall short. Very few people are promoted, most leave. The average life of an Enrollment Counselor is less than a year.

Enrollment brings all the revenue into the organization, experienced counselors train and develop the new counselors and teach them to be successful, yet the best counselors don't feel secure in their jobs. Think of the job as a career, and try to maintain your best employees by treating them better, appreciate what they do. Everyone will benefit.

Micromanaged in Doctoral

Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor Doctoral in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor Doctoral in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

"Free" tuition. You pay taxes on your tuition for masters and doctoral classes. It is not free. You will pay 10-33% directly from your paycheck.

Cons

Micromanagement is terrible. We get told not to leave our desks at certain times. Our manager keeps track of bathroom breaks inaccurately and then accuses us of taking longer breaks.
    Lately marketing has been failing big time and management refused to hear it for month and months. It took rumors of layoffs and people leaving for them to finally take a hint that it's not us, it's them. They said that they'd use "natural attrition" instead of layoffs. Basically they stopped buying leads and forced people to leave for poor performance.
      Most people don't finish this program so we are basically enrolling people with high debt already into the program. I've seen students with 180-250k in loans. GCU is taking advantage of them.
    There is 0 chances for mobility in doctoral. Especially for the women. Making a lateral move out isn't even an option. You are stuck once you get there.
    Numbers have been impossible lately. Our goal is 4 but lately getting 2 is good.
    Also the salary sucks. This division is known for not giving the full 4% yearly raise. And don't expect the highest yearly raise of around 3% unless you are a man.

Stop taking away our perks because management dropped the ball on marketing. The entire division is failing and is wasn't because we got that extra break. It's because management stopped buying leads. And stop telling us that robots could do our job in division meetings. They can't. It's demeaning. I think I could pay robots to find leads better for us than you.
    There's too much talk about how great doctoral is and little action to make it great. All we have seen you do lately is micromanage more and take away our perks like breaks. And stop telling us we will get a soda machine and then not deliver on your word. And nobody wanted soda anyway! Ask us what we want, not what you want. Make it a better place by doing positive things for us. Also, stop telling us about you in division meetings. Those meetings are not about you and how busy you are. It's about us and how busy we aren't.

Unless you worked with current management at UOP- do not expect advancement.

Former Employee - Doctoral Enrollment in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Doctoral Enrollment in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Grand Canyon University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

close to home and livable wage and excelent benefits

Cons

GCU is becoming UOP only with "Christian values", which if someone has to keep telling you they are a "good Christian" then the red flag should go up.

Get rid of the incompetent management staff, favoritism is not a good example of leadership as is telling everyone they are "so luckly to have a job" in every department meeting opening statement and current management has fired many individual's who were highly qualified and dedicated to GCU and the "vision" and would be closer to the goals if favoritism, lack of department leadership, dictatorship attitude of instilling fear of being terminated along with lack of support for tenured employees with a proven history.

Enrollment counselor

Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Benefits
    Co workers
    4 break times
    Students who are honestly passionate

Cons

Pay for what we are doing. Also we are selling education and it is about monthly numbers at the end of the day which messing up the true meaning higher education and having passionate learners and enrolling qualified students.

Stop micro managing and writing employees up for not meeting numbers. If an employee originally have 7 students for the month and 5 students decide not to start because life got in the way, don't hold them accountable.

Not Pleased - online student counselor

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Discounted college degree programs, paid time off, the opportunity to legitimately make a difference in someone's life does present itself in the job

Cons

The environment as an online counselor is very stressful. Company boasts an ethical Christian heritage, but although students should be first, job objectives are highly numbers oriented and geared towards quantity not quality of students. Too many under-qualified PELL runners are allowed in even when it is blatantly obvious that they are not enrolling with any intention of completing courses.
    My entire department is very unhappy and bad moral is rampant. Surprisingly there aren't that many opportunities to move up. Even though the organization continues to be very profitable, revenues are being funneled into erecting the new campus, not creating jobs outside of the call center to facilitate career growth for internal candidates. When they do open up, the good jobs are swept up by friends and past colleagues of the big wigs; nepotism and cronyism are valued above actual talent and even educational background.
    Job roles set unrealistic goals under unnecessary micromanaging "leadership" tactics. Asinine meetings all week long that pull you away from your desk when you already haven't enough time in a week to reasonably complete all of your job expectations.
    No real appreciation or recognition for excellent performance besides little certificates you can put in your cube.

Management should take the time to listen to constructive feedback from those that are actually out in the field, doing the job. This way, solutions can be found to make the jobs not only bearable to do 40+ hours a week but also more efficient. Instead of continuing to overwork and underpay your valuable tenured employees, start looking to find viable solutions to improving their overall experience on the job.

Loved my team, but this is basically sales

Former Employee - Online Enrollment Counselor in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Online Enrollment Counselor in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Grand Canyon University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great team environment, you are working within a specific region of US when calling your "inquiries" aka leads, so having a good team vibe is essential. I would not have lasted as long as I did without my teammates. If I had any desire to get another degree, I would have but that was not the case for me. Great benefit though, having a free degree is awesome!

Cons

Super high turnover, and high focus on numbers. This is a sales job. You are selling school. If you are ok with that, great! This job may be a good fit, but if you aren't it feels very salesy and mundane.

Promote people who are not only deserving, but know what they are doing.

8. Overall, GCU is a great company!

Former Employee - Student Service Advisor in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Student Service Advisor in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Grand Canyon University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing benefits, free education, flexible schedule, great pay, and wonderful people. Expectations are straightforward and can be an ideal company for a worker with an "honest days work for an honest days pay" mentality. Come to work, do your job, and you will be successful.

Cons

Close cubicle/telemarketing work environment, minimal management/leadership development, and inflexible enrollment expectations. Team happiness and development can often be reliant on the personality and motivation of the assigned manager and their willingness to lead.

Weekly one-on-ones and request continual feedback from current and veteran employees.

Very disappointing

Former Employee - Online Instructor in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Online Instructor in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Grand Canyon University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The university offers a competitive salary, great health insurance packet and perks to attend games. There is potential.

Cons

Long hours, overwhelming instructor load, and little work/life balance leads to high burnout. From the enrollment counselors to instructors, customer service trumps all. The "for-profit" and customer-service mentality means that students enrolled are often at an academic and/or financial disadvantage. Instructors are pressured to grade quickly and with "grace" so that we can drum up more business. It's academically unethical. Sadly, many instructors only stay because of the free tuition for their family members.

Listen to your instructors. They are the content experts yet they are ignored and dismissed when they voice their concerns.

Going Downhill

Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Grand Canyon University full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The CEO of GCU is awesome. He seems like he truly cares for his staff. Once a month they give employees a half day on friday and pay for the full day. When basketball is in season they offer incentives like going to the game and if you show your ticket you get a flex shift and about two hours off of work paid for.

Cons

They only care about numbers. They took away all our leads so the expectations to enroll a certain number a month is just not obtainable. If you don't hit your numbers you automatically get let go, no questions asked, no matter how long you have been working there. Our Director and manager seemed to be the worst in the college. If I were able to work in Peoria I would have transferred there because it was much better! With the new campus they are building in East Mesa they are planning on laying off a lot of enrollment counselors. So the stability of the position didn't seem like it offered much longevity.

They should go back to earning commission per enrollment. That will allow the hard workers to rise up and then management can focus their attention on helping those that need help enrolling.

Great company to work for

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have had a couple bad managers and couple great ones. Overall, the schedule is great, pay is above average and flexibility and time off are awesome. You get several paid holidays, dont work weekends and get several days of PTO.

Cons

Sometimes it can be hard to meet numbers because there are factors beyond your control, but depending on your manager that may or may not be an issue.

Grand Canyon University Photos