Grand Canyon University Reviews

Reset
2.2
Grand Canyon University CEO Brian Mueller
Brian Mueller

Pros
  • Free tuition and medical benefits (in 14 reviews)

• There are great benefits, salary, and people to work with (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • From the enrollment counselors to instructors, customer service trumps all (in 11 reviews)

• All upper management is from UoP (in 8 reviews)

This is a high pressure sales job, if you enjoy sales you'll like this job

Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The compensation is above average for the industry, you get educational benefits so getting another Master's degree is almost free. you have off on national holidays and the vacation package is good as well. the people are great and you'll enjoy working with your colleagues.

Cons

This is a high pressure sales job and you have a performance matrix to meet. some specific metrics are the number of dials per day, talk time on the phone, and most importantly number of enrollments ( they call it first and second course completion). NO ONE can meet these metrics every month - there are slow enrollment months in the year, and they will write up employees who fall short. Very few people are promoted, most leave. The average life of an Enrollment Counselor is less than a year.

Advice to Management

Enrollment brings all the revenue into the organization, experienced counselors train and develop the new counselors and teach them to be successful, yet the best counselors don't feel secure in their jobs. Think of the job as a career, and try to maintain your best employees by treating them better, appreciate what they do. Everyone will benefit.

Manipulative Management

Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, 401k, Opportunity for work life balance, great pay for people new in the field.

Cons

Every quarter the staff are lied to (the carrot is dangled) about upcoming opportunities or benefits that never materialize. False deadlines are given only to have such benefits vanish and a new incentive is promoted for the next 90 days. There is a definite unevenness about the distribution of wealth and you are NOT paid based on your performance. Some of the lower earners are some of the highest performers here. ALL EMPLOYEES ARE NOT TREATED EQUAL.The pretense that tenured employees are paid higher stops after the 2 year mark then there is NO incentive to stay on board any further.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to your employees. The longer tenured employees have heard the same cycle of financial promises year in and year out about how you would LOVE to give them a significant raise but weren't able to, how you are working on it VERY hard this time and it just might happen. It is in poor taste to string people along with the thought of a significant increase only to disappoint them a week before it is supposed to be implemented....EVERY YEAR!!!

Can you say "micromanaged"?

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Grand Canyon University full-time

Pros

Nice coworkers and liberal vacation time (unless you use PTO you do NOT get winter break with the rest of the campus)

Cons

Micromanaged - BIG TIME Prepare to do 2 people's job for ONE salary Faculty are expected to be available to students 24/7 by cell phone and to work 60+ hours a week Faculty are expected to LIE to online students about how many students they teach at one time (over 100 per 6 weeks, but tell the students "23")

Advice to Management

TRUST your professionals to do their job without breathing down their necks and allow them to have a LIFE outside of work!

Doctoral professional

Former Employee - Doctoral Admission in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Doctoral Admission in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Grand Canyon University full-time

Pros

Great marketing. Attractive buildings. Nice campus

Cons

Phoney Upper Management. They talk the talk, but rarely walk the walk. People feared for their jobs. Upper Management would go into meetings and go into "screaming" tirades. People knew that anyone that the CEO brought with him from university of Phoenix had better not tick them off, because they would find a reason to get rid of you. they would complain about "Washington" being against their "for profit" status. Not the kind of thing for a religious university should be doing. Bashing our National leaders is not something that should be embraced in group meetings. Their pay is pathetic. They are spending way too much money on buying our apartments that house Phoenix's poor, and purchasing country clubs is a joke!

Advice to Management

Mueller should have been prohibited from bringing his cronies with him.

Another For-Profit University

Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Grand Canyon University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Tuition benefits, 401K, health benefits and earn up to 3 weeks of vacation.

Cons

The leads are so bad I was told it was good idea to enroll people with no computer who were accessing computer through a helpless shelter or hospice. The leadership there is a joke as its University of Phoenix old directors and manager transferring over and ruining that place. The leads you get have been called a hundred times and new leads are very rare. What was great university is now financial aid sucking institution where these people pay for an over price degree that will have no way to pay it back.

Advice to Management

Hit the reset button as GCU absolutely sucks!

Micromanaged in Doctoral

Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor Doctoral in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor Doctoral in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

"Free" tuition. You pay taxes on your tuition for masters and doctoral classes. It is not free. You will pay 10-33% directly from your paycheck.

Cons

Micromanagement is terrible. We get told not to leave our desks at certain times. Our manager keeps track of bathroom breaks inaccurately and then accuses us of taking longer breaks. Lately marketing has been failing big time and management refused to hear it for month and months. It took rumors of layoffs and people leaving for them to finally take a hint that it's not us, it's them. They said that they'd use "natural attrition" instead of layoffs. Basically they stopped buying leads and forced people to leave for poor performance. Most people don't finish this program so we are basically enrolling people with high debt already into the program. I've seen students with 180-250k in loans. GCU is taking advantage of them. There is 0 chances for mobility in doctoral. Especially for the women. Making a lateral move out isn't even an option. You are stuck once you get there. Numbers have been impossible lately. Our goal is 4 but lately getting 2 is good. Also the salary sucks. This division is known for not giving the full 4% yearly raise. And don't expect the highest yearly raise of around 3% unless you are a man.

Advice to Management

Stop taking away our perks because management dropped the ball on marketing. The entire division is failing and is wasn't because we got that extra break. It's because management stopped buying leads. And stop telling us that robots could do our job in division meetings. They can't. It's demeaning. I think I could pay robots to find leads better for us than you. There's too much talk about how great doctoral is and little action to make it great. All we have seen you do lately is micromanage more and take away our perks like breaks. And stop telling us we will get a soda machine and then not deliver on your word. And nobody wanted soda anyway! Ask us what we want, not what you want. Make it a better place by doing positive things for us. Also, stop telling us about you in division meetings. Those meetings are not about you and how busy you are. It's about us and how busy we aren't.

Unless you worked with current management at UOP- do not expect advancement.

Former Employee - Doctoral Enrollment in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Doctoral Enrollment in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Grand Canyon University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

close to home and livable wage and excelent benefits

Cons

GCU is becoming UOP only with "Christian values", which if someone has to keep telling you they are a "good Christian" then the red flag should go up.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the incompetent management staff, favoritism is not a good example of leadership as is telling everyone they are "so luckly to have a job" in every department meeting opening statement and current management has fired many individual's who were highly qualified and dedicated to GCU and the "vision" and would be closer to the goals if favoritism, lack of department leadership, dictatorship attitude of instilling fear of being terminated along with lack of support for tenured employees with a proven history.

Enrollment counselor

Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits Co workers 4 break times Students who are honestly passionate

Cons

Pay for what we are doing. Also we are selling education and it is about monthly numbers at the end of the day which messing up the true meaning higher education and having passionate learners and enrolling qualified students.

Advice to Management

Stop micro managing and writing employees up for not meeting numbers. If an employee originally have 7 students for the month and 5 students decide not to start because life got in the way, don't hold them accountable.

Not Pleased - online student counselor

Current Employee - Student Service Advisor in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Student Service Advisor in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Grand Canyon University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discounted college degree programs, paid time off, the opportunity to legitimately make a difference in someone's life does present itself in the job

Cons

The environment as an online counselor is very stressful. Company boasts an ethical Christian heritage, but although students should be first, job objectives are highly numbers oriented and geared towards quantity not quality of students. Too many under-qualified PELL runners are allowed in even when it is blatantly obvious that they are not enrolling with any intention of completing courses. My entire department is very unhappy and bad moral is rampant. Surprisingly there aren't that many opportunities to move up. Even though the organization continues to be very profitable, revenues are being funneled into erecting the new campus, not creating jobs outside of the call center to facilitate career growth for internal candidates. When they do open up, the good jobs are swept up by friends and past colleagues of the big wigs; nepotism and cronyism are valued above actual talent and even educational background. Job roles set unrealistic goals under unnecessary micromanaging "leadership" tactics. Asinine meetings all week long that pull you away from your desk when you already haven't enough time in a week to reasonably complete all of your job expectations. No real appreciation or recognition for excellent performance besides little certificates you can put in your cube.

Advice to Management

Management should take the time to listen to constructive feedback from those that are actually out in the field, doing the job. This way, solutions can be found to make the jobs not only bearable to do 40+ hours a week but also more efficient. Instead of continuing to overwork and underpay your valuable tenured employees, start looking to find viable solutions to improving their overall experience on the job.

Loved my team, but this is basically sales

Former Employee - Online Enrollment Counselor in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Online Enrollment Counselor in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Grand Canyon University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great team environment, you are working within a specific region of US when calling your "inquiries" aka leads, so having a good team vibe is essential. I would not have lasted as long as I did without my teammates. If I had any desire to get another degree, I would have but that was not the case for me. Great benefit though, having a free degree is awesome!

Cons

Super high turnover, and high focus on numbers. This is a sales job. You are selling school. If you are ok with that, great! This job may be a good fit, but if you aren't it feels very salesy and mundane.

Advice to Management

Promote people who are not only deserving, but know what they are doing.

RSS Feed </> Embed