Grand Circle

Updated March 1, 2015
Updated March 1, 2015
2.0

Alan E. Lewis

Pros
  • Laid back environment, casual dress code, and welcoming of different types of people (in 8 reviews)

• During my time there, the only pro were the travel benefits (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Open and courageous communication crosses the line more often than it should (in 9 reviews)

• Employees have to buy into company culture; agree with owners beliefs (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

From 1 to 5 but no 3s, I would give it a 2+

Former Employee - G/L in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - G/L in Boston, MA

I worked at Grand Circle

Pros

Growth potential - yes.
    Pay - Solid
    Travel Discount - yes

Cons

Lay off almost every fall.
    Some politics within departments, not all. (Maybe you will be luckier than me)

They are good for the most part

Great energy and travel perks

I worked at Grand Circle

Pros

schedules, meeting new people, trips

Cons

a lot of attrition sad seeing good people let go

If you are seeking a compassion and caring work environment., Grand Circle is no he place

Former Employee - Customer Service in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Boston, MA

I worked at Grand Circle part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I worked for Grand Circle

Cons

Was not employee friendly was not all ways truthful to clients

Treat employees with respect

No respect

Former Employee - Human Resources in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Boston, MA

I worked at Grand Circle full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Travel discounts and office enviorment. It is decorated beautifully. Also they do a lot of volunteer work in the community

Cons

You are always afraid that you are going to be fired. I worked there over 10 years and was terminated for no reason. There is no loyalty

Stop treating people like pawns. People want to work here but so many are afraid that once they hit a certain time frame they are fired

Everything Grand Circle Travel does is borderline illegal

I worked at Grand Circle

Pros

The pay is good, if you can keep from being the 40% of the staff that gets fired annually. Travel benefits can be good but you will need to want to take guided tours for your vacations. If you are a favorite, you will have the chance to rise quickly in the ranks and be rewarded, but the odds of this are extremely low.

Cons

The real “value” that this company lives by is gaslighting and bullying their employees. I came as a young professional with a lot of work experience from different environments. Though I’ve liked some workplaces better than others in my past, I would call all of them healthy EXCEPT for Grand Circle Travel, which chews its employees up and spits them out when they don’t need them anymore.

While I was there, my supervisor was hardly around because she was in endless meetings - something that this company delights in doing is having meeting where everyone is supposed to express their ideas for how the company’s processes can work better, in an effort to look as if the leadership is transparent and eschews hierarchy. Though nothing could be further from the truth, these meetings keep team leaders away from their teams and basically the senior team members train/ lead the more junior ones, which is what happened in my case.

As other reviewers have mentioned, management at this place revolves around verbal abuse and micromanagement. I actually witnessed people being yelled at in public by their supervisors, who apparently think their employees are subhuman slaves instead of professionals who should be treated as competent and valued. This is the company culture. I actually watched an episode of Downton Abbey and thought, “I wish they treated employees at Grand Circle the way they treated their servants on this show.” Keep in mind, servants in the show get almost no breaks and basically live in the basement. If a fictional workplace from the 1920s based on a rigid class system can do better than a real one in 2015, then there is a BIG problem.

Also, HR (dubiously named “People and Culture) is the secret police which enforces the bizarre rules that the CEO and his wife use to enforce a sense of Stockholm Syndrome in their employees. You will be made to go on a high ropes course trip in New Hampshire, on a large tract of land that the CEO and his wife owns (hey, maybe this isn’t so different from Downton Abbey after all). Instead of being about team building, you are told this trip will be about instilling the company values. The trip is mandatory and your participation is ranked by HR, the results of which go into your employee file and affect your employment at the company. If you do poorly on this trip in the eyes of HR (and not your peers), you will be on the shortlist to get fired. Multiple people I knew confided that they pretended to be afraid of heights just to get a better rank during this weird performance for HR.

Before this mandatory trip, HR asks you to list any health concerns that might disqualify you from participating, including pregnancy, heart conditions, etc. This is absolutely illegal and I don’t know how they get away with it. The status of one’s health should be confidential and not something that any employer requires you to disclose.

Actually care about your employee's health, physically and mentally. Your business model is not sustainable if you want a functioning company that continues to grow like its competitors. Pick competent HR employees because no one in the building respects the current crew.

Bizarre, ultra-rich, husband and wife owners celebrate fighting, humiliation, and confrontation among employees.

Former Employee - Photo
    Former Employee - Photo

I worked at Grand Circle

Pros

Kitchen with unending coffee. Cool new people before they get fired.

Cons

Where to begin? Managers get to where they are based upon ability to swallow the dogma of the owners, which includes: Open and honest communication = blame someone else and scold them in public; Thriving in change = We don't know what we're doing, so rip that up and do this right now, despite the lengthy meetings and planning software we've put in already.

Dump the Kool-Aid. Run the business like a business, not a social experiment. Employees are people, too.

Great people to work with, if you are willing to suck up and throw others under the boat.

Current Employee - Traveler Support Associate
    Current Employee - Traveler Support Associate

I have been working at Grand Circle full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Personal growth, good job to have out of college, encourages open communication. Travel benefits are decent.

Cons

The values are intense, mandatory overtime, high turnover rate.

Stop giving people the opportunity to work in senior management if they aren't competent.

Worst experience

I worked at Grand Circle full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very nice people below top few leaders. Trips are well run. Pay is competitive.

Cons

CEO is abusive. Horrible culture. Huge turnover

Not meant for everyone

Former Employee - Traveler Support Associate in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Traveler Support Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Grand Circle full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Discounts are decent
    Co-workers are nice
    Decent pay
    Training is informative and fun

Cons

Irate callers
    Very monotonous, sitting 8 hrs a day just taking calls after calls
    Monitored breaks
    Getting yelled by callers due to other agents' mistakes

If you can take being yelled at and like the intense competitive environment then this job is meant for you.

The call center needs more support from upper management. Also the wait time to contact another department it's absolutely ridiculous.

GCC is a dynamic place that you can learn from great co-workers and very slick business model

I worked at Grand Circle (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Entrepreneurial environment
    - Fast paced and open communication
    - Always something new going on and you will learn allot
    - You are able to travel and see things

Cons

Your status can change hour to hour, seen to many instances where the something didn't work properly and that individual either had their salary impacted or effectively out the door. Real Marketing Strategy is not allowed to run and see results and be able to change with learning's.