Grand Prairie Independent Schools District

2.7
Dr David Barbosa

1. Sub

I have been working at Grand Prairie Independent Schools District

Pros

Great students that I worked it

Cons

I have no cons, I enjoyed every bit of it

2. Lawn care

I worked at Grand Prairie Independent Schools District

Pros

It looked like a promising job that was well payed

Cons

Never got back to me even after trying to contact them
    HR is horrible

3. A lot of bull from HR down to the principals

I worked at Grand Prairie Independent Schools District

Pros

option to make extra money through night school at crosswinds
    small class sizes
    working one on one with students

Cons

3 principals in 1 year. Terrible decision making by last (current principal), let go of 80% of staff who took the school from Improvement required to Formerly Improvement Required (acceptable). Out of the 10 teachers at HOPE Academy last year, only 2 are returning because of terrible structure or being let go (5 teachers let go). They take the worst kids that failed their STAAR tests/classes in 8th grade and put them all into one building. The result is CHAOS until first semester is over.
    The high pay is because they have such a high turnover rate in the district. They cannot keep teachers because they chase them out with 12 district mandated assessments and tons of other b.s.

Advice to Management

Provide support to your teachers. Get out of your office and actually do observations and see the positive interactions/teaching that the teachers were using. Stop blatantly lieing to your teachers/principals and telling them they have a contract for next year and then 3 weeks later say we're letting you go for made up reasons. You HAD quality teachers, now you let them go.

5. Toxic

Former Employee - Teacher in Grand Prairie, TX

I worked at Grand Prairie Independent Schools District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I learned new instructional methods and met some awesome kids.

Cons

The environment was very stressful. The school I taught at had a high teacher turnover and job security was low. Students were asking where their teachers were from last year.

Advice to Management

Work to make GPISD have a more caring and supportive environment. Truly appreciate and work to retain your teachers. It is good to have some consistency. I always felt like the students would benefit if there were more teachers, aids, and parental support for them. Get parents involved in their child's education. Hire more teachers and aids, especially at high poverty schools and in special needs departments. These children really need our help.

6. Substitute Teacher for GPISD

I worked at Grand Prairie Independent Schools District part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of interesting places to work

Cons

Not a lot of information or support when you first start at a particular school.

7. enviroment

I worked at Grand Prairie Independent Schools District

Pros

The leadership is bad for growth

Cons

There isno groth potienal.The system is biased

8. Toxic environment, dominated by rude administration

Former Employee - Supervisor in Grand Prairie, TX
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Grand Prairie, TX

I worked at Grand Prairie Independent Schools District part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with children on a daily basis, watching them grow and develop as human beings.

Cons

No job security. Toxic environment. Politics control everything. Always feeling like you will be fired for any small mishap. The facilitators sit in their office all day eating and avoiding parent emails and phone calls. A lot of the facilitators responsibilities are given to supervisors due to pure laziness.

Advice to Management

Respond to parent communications. Make the staff feel like you support them. Hire people that are qualified to do the job well, not just because you know them.

9. Growing pains

I have been working at Grand Prairie Independent Schools District

Pros

Lots of professional development opportunities and room for growth as a professional. Admin has great ideas for competitive edge. Pay is good

Cons

CSCOPE! Micromanaging. District plays favorites with schools, and it shows. Schools are way too crowded.

Advice to Management

Get rid of CSCOPE and let teachers teach. Do something about the overcrowding. Pay attention to your struggling schools up north.

10. Micromanagement at it's best

Former Employee - Elementary Teacher in Grand Prairie, TX
    Former Employee - Elementary Teacher in Grand Prairie, TX

Pros

Great energy coming in. For the most part, everyone I met was very friendly and willing to share ideas.

Cons

CSCOPE!! It does nothing for the student but confuse them...and the teachers. The principal I worked for micromanaged the classrooms and was a little too demanding. All grades had to be completed on her time frame and classrooms had to be run to her personal satisfaction. Nevermind that learning was taking place.

Advice to Management

Let teachers do their jobs. Don't expect immediate growth from every child, because they don't all function that way. Neither do teachers.

11. Mired With Internal Power Struggles

Pros

The Superintendent is working to empower forward thinking programs. Compensation is on par or better than other districts in the area. Campus life varies based on location

Cons

Central administration is filled with too many "leaders" resistant to change. The district stagnates while others take advantage of the many opportunities DFW provides.

Advice to Management

You can no longer operate as, "the biggest small town in Texas". There are too many administrators who have been jaded by past events that are undermining attempts to bring this district into today and beyond. Clean house, bring in new blood.

RSS Feed </> Embed