Grand River

Updated June 9, 2014
Updated June 9, 2014
4.0

CEO

Fun, energetic and passionate group of people to work with

I worked at Grand River full-time

Pros

Fun projects to work on, great people to work with, competitive salary, and flexibility

Cons

Scoping of projects sometimes causes budget and timeline issues. Some departments are under resourced.

Constant turn-over

I have been working at Grand River full-time

Pros

Employees are knowledgeable and work very hard.
    Tech leads are great at looking into new innovative techniques.

Cons

Management spends a lot of time trying to improve things but never really gets that they need to work on that too.
    Turnover is stressful for everyone.

Stop paying lip-service and actually reward loyal hard-working employees. People will stay if they truly believe they're appreciated.

A company that cares and puts the capital F in Fun!

I have been working at Grand River full-time (more than an year)

Pros

While there is unfettered wit and fun that is constantly cutting loose around the office, the teams are serious about rollin' up their collective sleeves in order to create awesome customer experiences and client engagements.

The client base is diverse and offers some of the most interesting projects I've been a part of!

No one talks in terms of the faceless "resources" and management cares passionately about people.

I feel like I can make a difference thanks to the openness and values of the company.

Cons

Coming from other agency jobs, in comparison, I haven't had anything to date I'd categorize as a con.

Great team, innovative company and cool clients!

I have been working at Grand River full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Grand River is flexible and the people are very hardworking. I enjoy coming to work.

Cons

Fast paced - still working on managing growth successfully.

Keep focusing on client satisfaction and employee retention. I really enjoy the culture, opportunity to learn and being innovative at the same time.

A fun, comfortable and challenging environment

I have been working at Grand River full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The culture is great - Grand River has a an awesome team mentality and you always feel welcome. In addition, client work ranges dramatically, so there's always a great amount of diversity in your work.

Cons

Given its size (not quite a "big" company) the company is trying to grow in the best possible way. In this growth and period of defining the company and its success, teams and processes change several times in a year. The good thing here is that the company is trying to be successful and grow in a good direction, but it has its negatives.

A+, a great place to work

I have been working at Grand River full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Work hard, play hard atmosphere
    - Incredible talent on staff, including (and especially) the leadership
    - A perfect balance between professionalism and fun
    - Management is constantly looking for better ways to accomplish the end goal: SUCCESS! Success for employees, clients, and every project we work on.

Cons

- Not really a "con", but be prepared to be very flexible and adaptive to change, as this small company is always implementing new ways to improve.

- Keep the focus and attention on your employees: the continuation of office fun, the review process, and the work/life balance. Your staff is your greatest asset - make sure they know that every day. Keep up the great work!

A supportive and collaborative environment with awesome coworkers.

Current Employee - Information Architect in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Information Architect in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Grand River full-time (less than an year)

Pros

• Fantastic and intelligent coworkers who enjoy spending time together even outside of work. The people are hands-down the best part of Grand River.

• Collaboration is encouraged and everyone is open to sharing ideas and learning from one another.

• We have flexible schedules that allow for the realities of life (6 inches of ice and snow? Everyone work from home!).

• Upper management shares details with us about the decisions they're making and about the company's future on a regular basis.

• HR has instituted great on-boarding and review processes in the past year.

• Management encourages and supports professional growth outside of work.

• Bagel Fridays.

Cons

As a fairly young company, we are still learning how best to do some things. Going with the flow is important here as processes continue to shift and grow. We also tend to work with mid-level clients that don't have huge budgets. You have to learn to work within constraints and make the best with limited resources.

Great people to work with both internal and on the client side.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Grand River full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love problem solving with clients and internal project teams. GRI has a very positive and collaborative work culture.

Cons

GRI is a growing company so some days require a high amount of adaptability. If you don't like change, then you will not enjoy working at GRI.

Innovative, fun environment with challenging, strategic work

I have been working at Grand River full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Ownership over your role...great opportunity to guide your career in the direction you want to take it and make the most out of your role.

- Great team and culture...a fun, collaborative environment where you can foster personal and professional relationships. You will deliver quality work while enjoying the time and people spent doing it with.

- Transparent Leadership...very open with us in discussing the direction and goals of the business, how we're trending toward those goals, and what's in our future as an organization.

- Family Oriented...a very flexible and understanding organization that is supportive of work/life balance and understands the importance of family needs. They work hard to accommodate life circumstances and to be there for you personally and professionally.

- Innovative Approach...we are continuously assessing our processes, as well as new trends and technologies, and how that can change/enhance our approach, delivery, and overall client success and satisfaction.

- Ideation Sharing/Communication...you are encouraged to share your ideas and make suggestions for improvements, and those suggestions are always seriously weighed. Additionally, there is an open-communication practice with no bureaucratic red tape to walk through...you can go to who you need, when you need them, and have the freedom to talk about whatever you need to.

- Growth Opportunity...in your role and as an industry professional. There is encouragement to challenge yourself in your position and how to take it to the next level; to be involved in the industry, to continuously be a student, and to continue to succeed in your career path.

Cons

As a smaller organization, there are more limited resources than you see in a bigger organization. As a result of this, it impacts ability to do things, but Grand River is invested in doing everything that they can to see their team members, and the company as a whole, succeed. As we continue to grow, so do our initiatives and resources. It all comes with time.

Continue the great work! Keep focusing on employee growth and development, enhancing processes, and driving us towards the next level as an organization.

Started out good, then kind of went downhill

Former Employee - Interface Developer in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Interface Developer in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Grand River full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Laid back, fun environment
    good co-workers

Cons

management is a bit disorganized
    company vision is lacking
    no reviews/feedback
    no path up to move beyond your current position

You won't keep good people if you don't have the methods in place to keep them (ie reviews/feedback/incentives/performance bonuses, etc)
    you also need management that attempts to understand their employees