Grand Rounds

Updated January 27, 2015
Updated January 27, 2015
5.0

Owen Tripp

Working at Grand Rounds is nothing short of fabulous.

I have been working at Grand Rounds

Pros

Interesting work that has a positive impact on people's quality of life. Wonderful people who are truly committed to the work they do and the company's mission.

Cons

The home office is based in San Francisco where housing is incredibly expense. The company is opening satellite offices, however, in less costly locations.

Great place to work

I have been working at Grand Rounds full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Terrific team, compelling mission, and a product that saves lives. Good balance of energy and autonomy.

Cons

Doesn't lead the pack on comp, though it is handled fairly. Overall package is attractive when viewed in context of awesome work environment and impact.

Brilliant team

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Grand Rounds as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Amazing experience. It was a great learning opportunity in a fun and fast environment. Everyone was constantly learning new things. I was treated like a full-time and that's what made the experience amazing. We also had company trips to go sailing, see a baseball game, etc. Team was super friendly, motivated, and always ready to get work done.

Cons

Was short on office space at the end of my internship but moved to a larger office shortly (unfortunately wasn't there to see the move)

Powered by the patient feedback

I have been working at Grand Rounds full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This place moves FAST. I came from another startup but one that was a long release schedule and a lot of time to get feedback. The Grand Rounds environment is intense (in a good way, at least for me) and people here are pretty fired up to do the work we do each day. There's a very strong culture of looking out for one another in the work we do. Compliments and credit are shared. The feedback culture is very much alive so you don't need to wait to hear what's going well and not well. The CEO and his leadership are transparent. For example, the slides from board meetings are regularly shared with the whole team. And the best thing are the patient stories, videos and love notes that we get for the work we do.

Cons

There's a lot that goes on within the management team. I think the managers should give us more regular updates on those conversations. The company is working on defining HR and promotion paths but none exist yet. I am pretty sure they will. This place has much more of a people/HR focus than my last company.

Keep being bold and keep being transparent. It keeps me really excited to my job.

Strong vision, even stronger team

I have been working at Grand Rounds full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-The executives clearly communicate the vision of the company and are transparent around the company's performance
    -There seems to be a focus towards getting work done but not working all of the time. The company is supportive of my need for family time.
    - The founders get along really well. Meetings are productive and people check their egos at the door.
    - The leadership (CEO in particular) are very focused on recruiting the right people for the culture. We've had a good hiring track record so far.

Cons

- In the last 6 months we've seen a lot of new joiners. It will take some training to make sure the new managers can scale.
    - The current office is too small (waiting lines for the bathroom!) but we've just heard of a plan to move into a bigger office here in SOMA.

-Be sure to keep the bar high in terms of who can join the company. At 70+ employees, this probably gets harder.
    -Think about offering commuter passes for those of us who come a long way

Great people, exciting mission!

I have been working at Grand Rounds full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Love the mission and the management here at Grand Rounds - direct and constant feedback, management really looks to give you the tools and skills needed to grow within the company. Great company culture, intelligent and passionate coworkers. Employees held accountable for their actions and rewarded and acknowledged when they exceed expectations.

Cons

High expectations and large work load can lead to long work days but for a series B we seem to be doing pretty well managing the growing pains and we are currently hiring to fill many of the gaps. Perks, salary & benefits seem a bit behind the curve ball but apparently they are "in the works" as well.

We are growing quick - make sure the teams have the tools needed and all aspects of the product are ready to keep growing at scale. Keep a high standard when hiring.

Great culture, truly important mission, and smart people who like each other

I have been working at Grand Rounds full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Grand Rounds is that rare combination of a mission-driven organization that also happens to be focused on a very real market opportunity. The leadership team is strong, experienced, and values the right things. So far we've managed to hire only exceptional people, and the leadership seems intent on keeping the bar high even as we accelerate our growth now that we've got our Series B funding. The culture is built on pride in what we're trying to accomplish, respect and high regard for each other, and having fun while we work hard.

Cons

The benefits could be better, even for an early-stage company. Rumor has it they will be getting better soon.

Continue to hold the bar high on who we hire, and continue to nurture our culture as we get bigger.

Smart leadership, motivated colleagues, fantastic mission

I have been working at Grand Rounds full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is passionate about what we do. Everyone rolls up their sleeves to pull out all the stops to provide a delightful experience for our patients, customers, and doctors. Management is open to ideas and other points of view. Lots of smiles around the office!

Cons

Compensation and benefits are a little low, but it is an early-stage company.

We have smart, capable people - stretch their limits and help them grow. Where possible, look internally first.

Fun Team with Great Energy!

I have been working at Grand Rounds full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I get to work and learn with many smart people, while making a positive difference in people's lives.

Cons

The office is within walking distance from AT&T park, therefore it gets loud due to cars horns going off before and after any Giant's game.

Keep on doing your great work!

A company that it truly working to improve the lives of others.

I have been working at Grand Rounds full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great mission - and everyone works to help fulfill that common goal and vision.
    Wonderful atmosphere - very open and collaborative.
    Solid, dependable leadership.
    Always looking for how to grow and improve.

Cons

When it's busy, it can trend towards stressful - being able to juggle a variety of tasks is a must.
    Everything can feel high priority, so deciphering what is truly the top item to complete can be tricky.

The growth we're seeing is so exciting! I hope that as we grow we can continue to foster the workplace atmosphere we currently have. I love out community and hope the personality doesn't change too much as we scale.
    The input of every employee is clearly valued - I so appreciate the collaborative nature of our company.