Grand Rounds

Updated October 12, 2014
Updated October 12, 2014
5.0

Owen Tripp

Strong vision, even stronger team

I have been working at Grand Rounds full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-The executives clearly communicate the vision of the company and are transparent around the company's performance
    -There seems to be a focus towards getting work done but not working all of the time. The company is supportive of my need for family time.
    - The founders get along really well. Meetings are productive and people check their egos at the door.
    - The leadership (CEO in particular) are very focused on recruiting the right people for the culture. We've had a good hiring track record so far.

Cons

- In the last 6 months we've seen a lot of new joiners. It will take some training to make sure the new managers can scale.
    - The current office is too small (waiting lines for the bathroom!) but we've just heard of a plan to move into a bigger office here in SOMA.

-Be sure to keep the bar high in terms of who can join the company. At 70+ employees, this probably gets harder.
    -Think about offering commuter passes for those of us who come a long way

Great people, exciting mission!

I have been working at Grand Rounds full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Love the mission and the management here at Grand Rounds - direct and constant feedback, management really looks to give you the tools and skills needed to grow within the company. Great company culture, intelligent and passionate coworkers. Employees held accountable for their actions and rewarded and acknowledged when they exceed expectations.

Cons

High expectations and large work load can lead to long work days but for a series B we seem to be doing pretty well managing the growing pains and we are currently hiring to fill many of the gaps. Perks, salary & benefits seem a bit behind the curve ball but apparently they are "in the works" as well.

We are growing quick - make sure the teams have the tools needed and all aspects of the product are ready to keep growing at scale. Keep a high standard when hiring.

Great culture, truly important mission, and smart people who like each other

I have been working at Grand Rounds full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Grand Rounds is that rare combination of a mission-driven organization that also happens to be focused on a very real market opportunity. The leadership team is strong, experienced, and values the right things. So far we've managed to hire only exceptional people, and the leadership seems intent on keeping the bar high even as we accelerate our growth now that we've got our Series B funding. The culture is built on pride in what we're trying to accomplish, respect and high regard for each other, and having fun while we work hard.

Cons

The benefits could be better, even for an early-stage company. Rumor has it they will be getting better soon.

Continue to hold the bar high on who we hire, and continue to nurture our culture as we get bigger.

Smart leadership, motivated colleagues, fantastic mission

I have been working at Grand Rounds full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone is passionate about what we do. Everyone rolls up their sleeves to pull out all the stops to provide a delightful experience for our patients, customers, and doctors. Management is open to ideas and other points of view. Lots of smiles around the office!

Cons

Compensation and benefits are a little low, but it is an early-stage company.

We have smart, capable people - stretch their limits and help them grow. Where possible, look internally first.

Fun Team with Great Energy!

I have been working at Grand Rounds full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I get to work and learn with many smart people, while making a positive difference in people's lives.

Cons

The office is within walking distance from AT&T park, therefore it gets loud due to cars horns going off before and after any Giant's game.

Keep on doing your great work!

A company that it truly working to improve the lives of others.

I have been working at Grand Rounds full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great mission - and everyone works to help fulfill that common goal and vision.
    Wonderful atmosphere - very open and collaborative.
    Solid, dependable leadership.
    Always looking for how to grow and improve.

Cons

When it's busy, it can trend towards stressful - being able to juggle a variety of tasks is a must.
    Everything can feel high priority, so deciphering what is truly the top item to complete can be tricky.

The growth we're seeing is so exciting! I hope that as we grow we can continue to foster the workplace atmosphere we currently have. I love out community and hope the personality doesn't change too much as we scale.
    The input of every employee is clearly valued - I so appreciate the collaborative nature of our company.

A motivated company with a great team and clear vision for the future.

Current Employee - Group Leader in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Group Leader in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Grand Rounds full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- strong leadership that's accessible and invested not only in project creation and completion, but also in employees' success
    - positive, can-do work atmosphere
    - it's nice to work for a company with amazing patient success stories-- it makes the work rewarding in a tangible way

Cons

It can get busy! Be prepared to pull your weight... but we're rewarded for doing so.

Let's keep hiring only the best! Culture's important and makes it fun to come to work every day.

Great leadership, lots of opportunity for growth, rewarding work

I have been working at Grand Rounds full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Open environment that encourages collaboration and communication between employees and departments.

There is real leadership from the top down. It clearly shows up in everyone's work and increases motivation to reach your personal best.

And, of course, it's a great company with a great mission, which makes your work that much more enjoyable.

Office is also located in a good part of SF near a park and lots of restaurants and cafes.

Cons

Commuting can be kind of a pain, but that's the Bay Area for you.

Mission driven, all-in culture

Current Employee - Team Leader in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Team Leader in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Grand Rounds full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The team supports each other. The conversations are intellectual and challenging. People want to transform the way patients and physicians interact. There seems to be true openness to every idea and all of the E team from the CEO on down encourage open conversation. Lots of group lunches and cool SF location (the place we're moving 10/1 seems amazing -- right across from South Park).

Cons

There are high expectations. Work flows into the weekends and the CEO doesn't seem to sleep much (i.e., lots of emails with stuff to work on / think about at all times). No parking and no parking passes.

Fast growth is great but think about formalizing processes!

ffffff

I have been working at Grand Rounds full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Grand Rounds has a smart, driven team that genuinely enjoys working together. The funny, charismatic CEO seems to care about the culture he's building and the people he's developing even while he keeps an eye on growth and revenue. The best part is the impact the company has on actual human beings--due to the strength of the company's physician network, which is amazing, I've seen diagnoses get reversed that have saved lives. That's a lot more satisfying than working for yet another storage company or online car scheduling service.

Cons

Lots to do and not much time to do it. But that's why you join a series A company in the first place--right?

Let's keep on doing it...