Grand Sierra Resort and Casino

Updated October 10, 2014
1.5

Alex Meruelo

6 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A fairly average employer. Management is a disorganized & chaotic which causes the employees to wonder what's going on.

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Reno, NV

I worked at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people in the marketing department truly care about their work and presenting the casino in the best possible manner. They made going to work worth it.

Cons

The upper management does not properly support all of the departments. There is a lack of effective communication, a culture of fear, rather than support, and chaos. There are way too many changes in the management personnel for any of the employees to feel secure in their jobs. Because of this most of the employees are trying to maintain a status quo so that they have less to worry about.

The upper management does not properly support all of the departments. Stop shifting upper management around; promoting and firing them. This demoralizes the employees and is viewed as unstable. People are scared to get promoted because that means they may get fired the next month.

They're...mediocre.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I worked at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino part-time

Pros

Great coworkers.
    Steady hours.
    People who went in to gamble were funny and kind most of the time.

Cons

Ridiculous regulations.
    No vacation days for first two years.

Be a bit more lenient towards your employees.

Demeaning.

Current Employee - Cantina Food Server in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Cantina Food Server in Reno, NV

I have been working at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I was able to easily go on vacation; although I had not been there that long, and switch shifts with the other girls at any time.

The weekends are always busy and the tips are good if you can keep up.

Cons

My manager was constantly flirting with me, asking me out on dates and grazing my bottom each time he walked by me. It made myself along with my other co workers uneasy. He would hug and try to hold my hand. When I refused to flirt back I was cut down in hours to only two to one day a week. I have tried talking with HR about the situation but they are always in a meeting or go home early. I have filled out a complaint form and have not gotten a call.

You are trained as you go. You either keep your head above water or drown. I would turn around an average of 75 tables to myself in a night so it was very stressful when I had my manager over reacting to very miniscule things.

Very high turn over rate.

I was yelled at in front of the customers for something I was unable to control. It was very unprofessional and demeaning. Try taking steps to help and listen before losing control of ones temper.
    Leadership is when the leader can pitch in and help, set an example to follow after instead of standing back and merely verbally assaulting people with crossed arms and a closed mind.

This is the worst casino to work at in Reno.

Former Employee - Accounting in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Accounting in Reno, NV

I worked at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

$2 meals in the cafeteria. The ability to leave the building after your shift and go somewhere nice.

Cons

The management believes everyone is stealing from them, probably because management screws over everyone whenever they have the chance.

Your employees aren't there to steal from you. Maybe the class action lawsuit will be a wakeup call.

Right hand does not know what left hand is doing.

Current Employee - Guest Service Representative in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Guest Service Representative in Reno, NV

I have been working at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent work environment, easy to move up. 2.00 lunches.

Cons

Micro management, low pay, long hours when advanced because of same. Get the experience, then move on.

Empower people to do their jobs

Don't do it!

Current Employee - Management in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Management in Reno, NV

I have been working at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You only have to pay $2 for a meal in the employees cafeteria

Cons

The new management has no idea how to run a casino/resort. They are making a strong effort to chase employees away so they can replace them with part-time workers. Thanks to Obama Care, it's now the new norm.

Stop micromanaging! You preach to us that we should smile and be friendly but upper management does not follow that advice!