Grand Sierra Resort and Casino

They're...mediocre.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I worked at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino part-time

Pros

Great coworkers.
    Steady hours.
    People who went in to gamble were funny and kind most of the time.

Cons

Ridiculous regulations.
    No vacation days for first two years.

Be a bit more lenient towards your employees.

Not a place to actually enjoy working.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino

Pros

Tip jobs and the staff are the only worthy reasons to work here. Keeps me coming back only for that reason. You'd be happier working elsewhere than here.

Cons

Managers, especially new ones, ruin restaurants and how they've been running well enough without them. Don't expect any help in return for help you've given i.e. working extra days, having no days off or coming in when called especially on days off.

Be fair to employees as they are fair to you.

Demeaning.

Current Employee - Cantina Food Server  in  Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Cantina Food Server in Reno, NV

I have been working at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino part-time for less than a year

Pros

I was able to easily go on vacation; although I had not been there that long, and switch shifts with the other girls at any time.

The weekends are always busy and the tips are good if you can keep up.

Cons

My manager was constantly flirting with me, asking me out on dates and grazing my bottom each time he walked by me. It made myself along with my other co workers uneasy. He would hug and try to hold my hand. When I refused to flirt back I was cut down in hours to only two to one day a week. I have tried talking with HR about the situation but they are always in a meeting or go home early. I have filled out a complaint form and have not gotten a call.

You are trained as you go. You either keep your head above water or drown. I would turn around an average of 75 tables to myself in a night so it was very stressful when I had my manager over reacting to very miniscule things.

Very high turn over rate.

I was yelled at in front of the customers for something I was unable to control. It was very unprofessional and demeaning. Try taking steps to help and listen before losing control of ones temper.
    Leadership is when the leader can pitch in and help, set an example to follow after instead of standing back and merely verbally assaulting people with crossed arms and a closed mind.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Circus Monkey

I have been working at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some great people work here and you will make a lot of friends. This is a good place to work right out of school to get some experience under your belt. Most managers will work with school schedules.

Cons

Compensation, upper management and owners do not care about the employees. They treat everyone as if they are monkeys in a circus and can be replaced at any second. They will drop someone in a heartbeat if they feel that they are making too much money or if they even ask for more money. They call you greedy when you ask about promotions and possibilities of self growth in the company. All they care about is making money and they do not care about who they lose on the way. It is a very depressing atmosphere and very few employees are happy.

Learn to respect and appreciate the hard workers that you have, you have to potential to be part of a great company and I hope to see that come from you because I do not want you to lose all of your valuable employees. Remember, you do not have a company that runs well if you do not have happy employees and you do not have happy employees.

This is the worst casino to work at in Reno.

Former Employee - Accounting  in  Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Accounting in Reno, NV

I worked at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

$2 meals in the cafeteria. The ability to leave the building after your shift and go somewhere nice.

Cons

The management believes everyone is stealing from them, probably because management screws over everyone whenever they have the chance.

Your employees aren't there to steal from you. Maybe the class action lawsuit will be a wakeup call.

Experience the 9th Ring of Hell

Former Employee - Accounting
    Former Employee - Accounting

I worked at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Subsidized lunch in the cafeteria

Cons

Having to walk in the building 5 days a week; management

Treat your employees like humans. Not everyone is trying to steal from you (since it appears that is ownership's MO). There is a culture of screwing over fellow employees, while doing everything possible to avoid responsibility. Spending priorities are mind boggling. Turnover in many positions leads to a group just trying to survive. No formal training programs for non-retail staff. I would only work at this place again as a last resort (as in deciding if I would rather be homeless or work at GSR).

Right hand does not know what left hand is doing.

Current Employee - Guest Service Representative  in  Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Guest Service Representative in Reno, NV

I have been working at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent work environment, easy to move up. 2.00 lunches.

Cons

Micro management, low pay, long hours when advanced because of same. Get the experience, then move on.

Empower people to do their jobs

Good first job for new college grads (Jump off ASAP)

I have been working at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino full-time

Pros

GSR allows you to live and work in Reno which is a great town. Company allows you (or pretends) to give you a voice in the decision making (if you are in finance, marketing, IT). Also possible to juggle college while working if you are clever.

Cons

Management has a very unique view of employees. Instead of viewing them as stewards of company's assets that can be developed into leaders, they view them as cost centers. Making sure that you put in plenty of hours of work and never ask for a raise is the mantra they live by. Some top level executives like to intimidate and discourage disagreement yet also pretend to act like they encourage it.

While the company has grown its bottom line in the recent past, it's methods of doing so are very harsh which is a major drain on morale. Most employees that i worked with were only loyal to their paycheck and didn't care at all about the company. The only reason they felt like working at GSR was that they were so burdened by their duties at work that they didn't even have the time to look for another job. Company promotes employees only to burden them with so much work that they are destined to fail and then it gets rid of them.

The company's owner (Meruelo Group) feels like every employee is out to get them. In the past they have (unsuccessfully) attempted to get (even salaried) all employees to exit though a specific door that they can monitor like a hawk. Most employees that have comp cards are scared to use them (even though they have no bad intentions) and cannot even peform their regular duties as a result.

When you are about to leave the company you get a cold shoulder and the top management views you as a defector that dared to stick their head out of their computer monitor to think about their career.

Acknowledge and reward best employees, not burden them and burn them.

Don't do it!

Current Employee - Management  in  Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Management in Reno, NV

I have been working at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

You only have to pay $2 for a meal in the employees cafeteria

Cons

The new management has no idea how to run a casino/resort. They are making a strong effort to chase employees away so they can replace them with part-time workers. Thanks to Obama Care, it's now the new norm.

Stop micromanaging! You preach to us that we should smile and be friendly but upper management does not follow that advice!

Worked for Grand Sierra Resort and Casino? Contribute to the Community!