Grand Sierra Resort and Casino

Updated November 12, 2014
Updated November 12, 2014
1.5

Alex Meruelo

A fairly average employer. Management is a disorganized & chaotic which causes the employees to wonder what's going on.

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Reno, NV

I worked at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people in the marketing department truly care about their work and presenting the casino in the best possible manner. They made going to work worth it.

Cons

The upper management does not properly support all of the departments. There is a lack of effective communication, a culture of fear, rather than support, and chaos. There are way too many changes in the management personnel for any of the employees to feel secure in their jobs. Because of this most of the employees are trying to maintain a status quo so that they have less to worry about.

The upper management does not properly support all of the departments. Stop shifting upper management around; promoting and firing them. This demoralizes the employees and is viewed as unstable. People are scared to get promoted because that means they may get fired the next month.

Definitely one of the worst!

I have been working at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino

Pros

Close proximity to all parts of Reno or Sparks. (I think that should take care of the website's five words minimum requirement for Pros)

Cons

1. High turnover rate. Grand Sierra is like a used cigarette with one last puff of smoke. Management folks come here, stay here until they find another job, and then jump off. In the past five years the company has hired/fired 5 Presidents, 3 CFOs, 3 Marketing Executives and 2 Sales Executives. This is just a disaster of a company with no culture and no value for their employees. It is revolving door with people that have zero loyalty to its employer.

2. Lack of Trust: The ownership believes that everyone is stealing from them and makes them feel small. They check bags upon entry and exit (even for managers). For Directors, they constantly monitor their comp card usage and are not afraid to tell them to stop using it. Executives in the company do not fight for their supervisors/managers/directors. Usually when someone gets fired, the decision is almost always made by someone who is with the parent company.

3. Peanuts Pay: I have seen individuals work for this company for 5 years without even a cost of living increase. It is difficult to see employees work their heart out for no gratitude or reward. The only time when my coworkers saw a pay increase (very rare) was when someone got promoted. But then 3 months later they were burnt out with monstrous new responsibilities that they were either fired or quit.

To summary, anyone who invested in college degree can easily pick a better employer than GSR - even in this tight market. It is because this place is the bottom of the barrel in every sense of the word.

This place is a joke, Please do not make the mistake of wasting your time with this awful casino.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Reno, NV

I have been working at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino full-time (less than an year)

Pros

When you walk out the door because you have another job offer.

Cons

Turnover rate. This casino is a joke here in Reno. You will be constantly walking on egg shells hoping your not the next to get fired. Nothing is good enough for management.

Quit before the casino goes under.

They're...mediocre.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I worked at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino part-time

Pros

Great coworkers.
    Steady hours.
    People who went in to gamble were funny and kind most of the time.

Cons

Ridiculous regulations.
    No vacation days for first two years.

Be a bit more lenient towards your employees.

Not a place to actually enjoy working.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino

Pros

Tip jobs and the staff are the only worthy reasons to work here. Keeps me coming back only for that reason. You'd be happier working elsewhere than here.

Cons

Managers, especially new ones, ruin restaurants and how they've been running well enough without them. Don't expect any help in return for help you've given i.e. working extra days, having no days off or coming in when called especially on days off.

Be fair to employees as they are fair to you.

Demeaning.

Current Employee - Cantina Food Server in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Cantina Food Server in Reno, NV

I have been working at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I was able to easily go on vacation; although I had not been there that long, and switch shifts with the other girls at any time.

The weekends are always busy and the tips are good if you can keep up.

Cons

My manager was constantly flirting with me, asking me out on dates and grazing my bottom each time he walked by me. It made myself along with my other co workers uneasy. He would hug and try to hold my hand. When I refused to flirt back I was cut down in hours to only two to one day a week. I have tried talking with HR about the situation but they are always in a meeting or go home early. I have filled out a complaint form and have not gotten a call.

You are trained as you go. You either keep your head above water or drown. I would turn around an average of 75 tables to myself in a night so it was very stressful when I had my manager over reacting to very miniscule things.

Very high turn over rate.

I was yelled at in front of the customers for something I was unable to control. It was very unprofessional and demeaning. Try taking steps to help and listen before losing control of ones temper.
    Leadership is when the leader can pitch in and help, set an example to follow after instead of standing back and merely verbally assaulting people with crossed arms and a closed mind.

Circus Monkey

I have been working at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some great people work here and you will make a lot of friends. This is a good place to work right out of school to get some experience under your belt. Most managers will work with school schedules.

Cons

Compensation, upper management and owners do not care about the employees. They treat everyone as if they are monkeys in a circus and can be replaced at any second. They will drop someone in a heartbeat if they feel that they are making too much money or if they even ask for more money. They call you greedy when you ask about promotions and possibilities of self growth in the company. All they care about is making money and they do not care about who they lose on the way. It is a very depressing atmosphere and very few employees are happy.

Learn to respect and appreciate the hard workers that you have, you have to potential to be part of a great company and I hope to see that come from you because I do not want you to lose all of your valuable employees. Remember, you do not have a company that runs well if you do not have happy employees and you do not have happy employees.

This is the worst casino to work at in Reno.

Former Employee - Accounting in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Accounting in Reno, NV

I worked at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

$2 meals in the cafeteria. The ability to leave the building after your shift and go somewhere nice.

Cons

The management believes everyone is stealing from them, probably because management screws over everyone whenever they have the chance.

Your employees aren't there to steal from you. Maybe the class action lawsuit will be a wakeup call.

Experience the 9th Ring of Hell

Former Employee - Accounting
    Former Employee - Accounting

I worked at Grand Sierra Resort and Casino full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Subsidized lunch in the cafeteria

Cons

Having to walk in the building 5 days a week; management

Treat your employees like humans. Not everyone is trying to steal from you (since it appears that is ownership's MO). There is a culture of screwing over fellow employees, while doing everything possible to avoid responsibility. Spending priorities are mind boggling. Turnover in many positions leads to a group just trying to survive. No formal training programs for non-retail staff. I would only work at this place again as a last resort (as in deciding if I would rather be homeless or work at GSR).

Right hand does not know what left hand is doing.

Current Employee - Guest Service Representative in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Guest Service Representative in Reno, NV

Pros

Decent work environment, easy to move up. 2.00 lunches.

Cons

Micro management, low pay, long hours when advanced because of same. Get the experience, then move on.

Empower people to do their jobs