Grand Strand Regional Medical Center

Updated September 21, 2014
Updated September 21, 2014
1.5

Doug White

Not an enjoyable work experience at all

Former Employee - CNA in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Former Employee - CNA in Myrtle Beach, SC

I worked at Grand Strand Regional Medical Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The benefits are really good, can not say that about anything else

Cons

Lazy nurses, charge nurses only care about the nurses and could careless about the CNA's or other support staff. Nurses are rude and lack respect for CNA's. Not enough compensation for the amount of work a CNA has to do.

Listen to your employees more and do not automatically take sides based on someone having a higher job title.

Worst work experience ever!

I worked at Grand Strand Regional Medical Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Up to date equipment, nice rooms.

Cons

Absolutely no team work.
    I was told I would be working every other weekend during interview. Once completed orientation, I worked sometimes three weekends in a row. I wasn't told about mandatory over time until my last day of orientation. Employees that have worked there longer can adjust the work assignments to their needs. Current nurse's drive away new nurses. Pay grade is extremely low for the amount of work required. Always short staff! Not a very clean place at all. Most medical staff don't wash their hands in between patient care! Constant plumbing problem. I understand we all need a job, however, I recommend waiting on another job to come through before accepting a position with gsrc. I would wait for upper management to clean out middle management. You will get nothing but lies from the time you enter the door for an interview. Job hunters, new grads, beware!

Get rid of your department directors and department managers

Underpaid and understaffed

Current Employee - Lab Employee in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Current Employee - Lab Employee in Myrtle Beach, SC

I have been working at Grand Strand Regional Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It is a full time job.

Cons

Work load increases but salary and number if workers stay the same. Lab is so understaffed and needs organization. Looks like dinosaur age.

Pay your lab employees and listen to the needs and concerns. Stop looking at the "numbers" which means money in HCA hands and no concern for employees.

I recommend anyone with a good work ethic to not seek employment at this facility

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Myrtle Beach, SC

I have been working at Grand Strand Regional Medical Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice rooms, equipment and supplies

Cons

High acuity of care required for very sick and injured patients and constantly short staffed requiring a higher nurse-patient ratio. Impossible workload. dissatisfied patients with care due to nurse being too busy to render proper care.
    Mandatory 4 12 hour shifts a week and not informed about it until the middle of your orientation. almost every day spent an extra hour and a half finishing up at the end of the shift I was working up to 55 hours per week which was forced upon staff.

middle management needs to be cleared out due to lack of caring of staff and favoritism. unfair treatment. bad behavior is tolerated on a regular basis with no consequences. Certain nurses out right drive new nurses away and brag about it and are not called on it.
    nurses should be compensated for their experience and not paid much lower than average
    salary.
    Be honest in the interview process and tell potential employees that they are mandatory to work 4 12 hour shifts per week totally 48 hours

stay away if you value your career and patient safety

I worked at Grand Strand Regional Medical Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

location is the only positive

Cons

poor management, poor patient care. For-profit institution so focus is only on money not care. short staffing is a constant condition.

need to put quality patient care first.

HCA facility only cares about the bottom line

Former Employee - Charge Nurse in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Former Employee - Charge Nurse in Myrtle Beach, SC

I worked at Grand Strand Regional Medical Center full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay, benefits. Friendly employees. New beds added. Good heart center.

Cons

Patient care is sacrificed for the almighty dollar. Charge nurses have a patient assignment. Patients wait days for a room. No privacy or confidentiality. 7-8 patients per nurse. High turn-over rate. Hospital never goes on diversion but two area hospitals do which only makes the ED even more stressful.

Start putting more empasis on good quality patient care and caring for your employees and less emphasis on trying to make as much profit as possible at the expense of patients and employees.

nursing assistant

I worked at Grand Strand Regional Medical Center full-time

Pros

compensation, benefits, hospital environment, friendly coworkers

Cons

inconsistent scheduling, lack of communication with management, not much positive reinforcement from supervisors or managers