Grange Insurance (Columbus)

Add Photos

Tom Welch

Awesome place to work!

Columbus, OH

ProsThe entire company has a well balanced view of work / life demands. Still small enough where most people know eachother and the CEO is likely to call you by name if he passes you in the hall. Unlike some other companies, tenured employees are still highly valued and not left to die on the vine. Good benefits, good culture.

ConsI have no cons to share, it's really a great place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Supportive Culture

Intern (Former Employee)
    Columbus, OH

ProsIt has a friendly, flexible and supportive company culture. The office building is well-designed and facilities such as office system, gym, restaurant are great.

ConsThe communication among different business units is needed to improve. The office spaces seemed to create some pressures for me.

Needs processes improved

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOn site nurse, work out room, outside walking track. Covered parking, nice cafe. Many people have been there more than 20 years.

ConsSo much could be improved upon- but they are steadfast in old ways saying 'that is always how it has been done'. Many people have been there more than 20 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd more continuous improvement specialists so waste can be reduced. Stop holding on to obsolete processes.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great enviroment Employee friendly

Adjuster (Current Employee)
    Lexington-Fayette, KY

ProsInvestment in their own work product including their employees

ConsPromotions are limited in the field offices

Advice to Senior ManagementBUILD a training department in Columbus. There are other areas that an employee can expand with Grange other then becoming a LOB manager...Underwriting, sales etc.

Bad Culture

Claims (Current Employee)

ProsNice building downtown Columbus. Cafeteria and exercise facility at home office.

ConsNo training will prepare you for how to get work done around here. It's like a highschool (the bad part of highschool). Perception is everything. IT and project management is a mess. Opportunity to advance or move around is very limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to change the culture to one of cooperation and teamwork.

Very good so far

Columbus, OH

ProsGreat work environment - everyone I've had to deal with was very professional
    Opportunities for advancement
    Achievements are recognized - Got title promotion and significant raise after 1 year just for doing my job well

ConsBeing a small insurance company makes it a challenge to manage expenses.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep encouraging employees to do good work, and lead by example, like my current manager does.

Good Place to work

Data Warehouse Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Columbus, OH

ProsNice People, Onsite Fitness Center, Good work/life balance, free parking, cares about associates and customers.

ConsCareer pathing, training opportunities, and compensation can be improved.

Quiet good people

Strategy (Former Employee)
    Columbus, OH

ProsA company that's good to its employees. Employees have a good work/life balance and are generally well treated. The company also has a very good system of values. I felt like my coworkers were all reasonably smart good-natured people.

ConsTeams are very siloed and innovation is not actively encouraged. The company is behind the times with sales and marketing strategies. The innovators in the company are doing one-off things on their own initiative and time. When I worked there even simple things like a CRM system were not in place. I describe the culture as quiet because I think everyone keeps their head down at their desk and does their job. But sometimes it's okay to make a bit of noise and improve things.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlace innovation at the forefront. Don't just talk about it do it. From a perspective of assets, Grange actually has the assets to be more nimble than its larger competitors - the only thing stopping it is its own stomach for change.

Best ever company to work for

Clerk (Current Employee)
    Columbus, OH

Prosvery fair company to work for

Conscould have better health options

Advice to Senior Managementpay more attention to the people that work for you

Culture is very rewarding, respectful, and open. Great place to work, but not many opportunities for advancement.

Columbus, OH

ProsThey really care about their employees and treat them well. There is an option of flexible work schedule depending on your work natural. Promoting work-life balance.

ConsMid-small size company, so doesn't have a lot of room for move up. But you can definitely move around within the company. They have strong financial assets, but the current business isn't growing strongly.

Worked for Grange Insurance (Columbus)? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Grange Insurance (Columbus) reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Grange Insurance (Columbus) CEO Tom Welch. All 19 reviews posted anonymously by Grange Insurance (Columbus) employees.