Grange Insurance (Columbus)

Tom Welch

Excellent Place to work

Current Employee - Associate Project Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Associate Project Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Grange Insurance (Columbus) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, family oriented people and very caring. The benefit is great. Less pressure at work.

Cons

not very innovative, still want to leave by the status co.

Very supportive and caring.

Co-workers are like family but organization overall is inefficient

Current Employee - Commercial Lines in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Commercial Lines in Columbus, OH

Pros

Almost anyone will go out of their way to help you. They will have potlucks often. Have a good gym at headquarters. Cafeteria is average but local German Village restaurants are great. Dress is business casual with casual Fridays and frequent jeans weeks with a donation to United Way charity.

Cons

Very difficult to get an interview, you MUST have an employee referral or don't bother. Training is largely word of mouth and position shadowing which leads to inconsistent standards and processing. There are 1-3 unique systems per process which makes for a steep learning curve to process anything. The managers do not coordinate with each other well. Managers attitudes vary so it is not an all bad or all good situation.

Come up with clear directives to drive all the way to completion.

Grange Insurance (Columbus) Response

Sep 30, 2014Sr. Recruiter

We continually strive to make Grange Insurance a better place to work and value your feedback on how we’re doing. Our goal is for all of our employees to have a great experience working here, so ... More

Amazing organization that does things right!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Grange Insurance (Columbus) full-time (less than an year)

Pros

State of the art Wellness Center with physical trainer, nurse and dietician. On site dry cleaning and shoe repair services, full service cafeteria and coffee loft/mini restaurant. Amazing team members and culture, great benefits and awesome home office. Great work/life balance and team collaboration, parking garage provided and CEO is an incredible leader!

Cons

I can't think of any cons

Management is great and feel they are willing to do whatever to help with your growth and development as well as your work/life balance!

Great Work-Life Balance/Intern Program

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at Grange Insurance (Columbus) as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

One of Grange's primary focuses is work-life balance for associates. They manage to accomplish this while fostering an extremely productive and high-achieving work environment. As an intern, there was a distinct focus of bringing the interns together from all the disciplines on a large corporate project. It was great getting to know everyone and built a terrific atmosphere!

Cons

The insurance industry can be very dry and over-technical. Nothing against Grange, just the industry as a whole.

Worst place I've ever worked

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at Grange Insurance (Columbus) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy to park
    Nice location
    Some friendly people

Cons

Several incompetent managers that push for unachievable deadlines and ill-defined tasks so that they can blame lower level when (as always) the project fails or is exceedingly late

Keep a closer eye on managers that give 10+ people negative reviews year after year after year

Grange Insurance (Columbus) Response

Sep 30, 2014Sr. Recruiter

Unless you work in the Home office with easy access to training, you will be limited to any upward promotion.

I worked at Grange Insurance (Columbus) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly Love to constantly manage you

Cons

lack of management in one office. Very negative peopple

Awesome company to work for. Great work / life balance

Current Employee - Loss Reporting I in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Loss Reporting I in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Grange Insurance (Columbus) part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone is very friendly, management is very lateral so interaction / having relationships with your supervisors and managers is very common.

Cons

My department was only open 8a-6p M-F and required me to work 20 hours / week, but I am currently a student and most of my classes are during that time. If there were more hours available to work, I would have gladly stayed with Grange.

Be careful about trying to do anything to save a quick buck. Forcing call center workers to not have any break or very minimal time (seconds) between calls will make things more stressful leading to an unhappy workforce.

Awesome place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Grange Insurance (Columbus) full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The entire company has a well balanced view of work / life demands. Still small enough where most people know eachother and the CEO is likely to call you by name if he passes you in the hall. Unlike some other companies, tenured employees are still highly valued and not left to die on the vine. Good benefits, good culture.

Cons

I have no cons to share, it's really a great place to work.

Keep up the good work!

Supportive Culture

Former Employee - Intern in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Intern in Columbus, OH

I worked at Grange Insurance (Columbus) as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

It has a friendly, flexible and supportive company culture. The office building is well-designed and facilities such as office system, gym, restaurant are great.

Cons

The communication among different business units is needed to improve. The office spaces seemed to create some pressures for me.

Needs processes improved

I worked at Grange Insurance (Columbus)

Pros

On site nurse, work out room, outside walking track. Covered parking, nice cafe. Many people have been there more than 20 years.

Cons

So much could be improved upon- but they are steadfast in old ways saying 'that is always how it has been done'. Many people have been there more than 20 years.

Add more continuous improvement specialists so waste can be reduced. Stop holding on to obsolete processes.

Grange Insurance (Columbus) Photos