Grange Insurance

Add Photos

Ryan M. Dudley

Looks good on a resume.

Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsNice on-site gym, personal trainers and a generous bonus program.
    Workstations are ergonomically minded.
    Free bus pass and frequent opportunities to park on site.

ConsPay is far below industry standard. A short time ago they changed the title of 'Rater' to 'Data Entry' and began hiring insurance rookies at barely above minimum wage yet still expect them to perform as raters.
    There is no opportunity for advancement unless someone retires, and training is near non-existent.
    Don't expect to be taken seriously as a woman within this company. This is a boys club little lady, get back in the kitchen and make me some coffee.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop rewarding apathetic veterans and spend a little cash to recruit some quality people unless you want to keep losing talented people.
    The turn over rate was at an all time high when I left and management acted like it wasn't even happening. Be proactive and talk to your employees before they walk.

Somewhat disappointed

Claims (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsMost people who work there are pretty friendly and it doesn't have an intimidating, overly formal atmosphere.

ConsTraining for the position was very limited. Also, goals for personal performance are not clearly communicated. This last comment doesn't have much to do with the company itself, but if you don't live close to downtown the commute can be quite frustrating.

Best in the west!

Marketing Specialist (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsCommunity, compensation, perks, employees, Benefits

ConsThere is absolutely no cons of working at Grange Insurance. I am happy with my job and I love it so much!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I worked at Grange

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsOn-Site Gym, Friendly upper management, Hands off environment, open door policy

ConsAfter gaining a new VP the company took a turn into a big business mind-set; they fired a significant amount of long time employees and hired a brand new batch of young, hungry, and hard working people. Now since this new batch of people had little to no experience the company was able to save money by paying a significantly lower wage (which is brilliant) but they forgot to give these new candidates a place to grow. While the company it self is doing well they still focus on this "close family" environment which in turn results in never hiring more than a certain number of employees and employees who have been there for 30+ years have no intention on leaving anytime soon. Bottom line is you won’t go anywhere here. Job openings are rare and it is more often then not because someone retired and as a new person, you won’t be landing that Supervisor position which required 7+ years. The employees do get treated well but it is a fact that they pay lower than the industry medium and you will have to pick up the slack of the veterans.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have new employees who are willing to work hard and have a positive attitude , give them a place to grow and advance or they will leave.

They do not value quality employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey sometimes offer the option to work from home, though it's for their convenience, not the employee's, and they don't provide the hardware. They do have a good on-site gym.

ConsThey are more focused on the short term of cutting salaries and expenses (that sometimes are really needed) than they are on running a business that will do well in the long term. If you ever disagree with someone higher up the ladder, do not expect to remain employed. What used to be a really family oriented business where employees worked til they retired (or died) has become a revolving doorway.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnfortunately, the upper levels do not generally know anything about what those in the trenches actually do, so they have a very unrealistic idea of how to get it done. It's always easy in their minds to get it done faster and better, and the overall service of the company is suffering because of it. A move towards keeping valuable employees and nurturing a healthy work environment would be a good start.

There is no future at this company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsSmall corporation so you can get to know your coworkers in all departments pretty easily. There is an on-site cardio room, weights, and if you want to pay extra, you can do yoga classes and other fitness classes.

ConsGrange used to be a very fun and friendly place to work. Then things started to go downhill. Slowly at first. Positions are not being replaced. Staff spread thinner and thinner. Stress levels through the roof. There isn't much chance for advancement. There has been such an upheaval from the executive level on down that it has become a place where if you want to keep your job you have to keep your head down, say yes, sir, no sir, and hope for the best. Tenured employees have been forced to retire early, or outright let go with the formal termination reason being exactly the same. Word is getting around that it is not a good place to work. Unless you are unemployed and really desperate, I would not recommend applying for a position with Grange Insurance Association in Seattle.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would not be listened to because anyone who dares to speak up is out. There is supposedly an open door policy with the CEO, but that is totally not true if one wants to keep their job.

It's got a family feel.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsWorking at Grange Insurance is a pleasure. The work environment is Business Casual; however you will often find the CEO declaring casual dress weeks during the summer and around holidays. Upper management is all very friendly and they care for the well being of the employees. A good example of this is the fact the CEO knows EVERYONE (200+ employees) by name. The company cares for the health of the employees and shows it by offering Yoga, Boot Camp and other such classes during work hours along with an in-house gym.

ConsThe only downside I can come up with is that there is very little room for growth in some departments. If your career path involves growth then working here won't be able to sustain your goals. It's one of those build-some-experience jobs that wouldn't be able to sustain you for more than 3 years.

Cares about employees, forward looking

ProsCares about employees with regular meetings, communication vehicles, benefits. Forward looking although at times too much annual expense view on important initiatives vs. looking at a multi-year model. Financially sound, growing, good reputation.

ConsToo annual expense oriented at times vs. looking at multi-year cost/benefit model; salaries may be lower than some; staff stretched too thinl currently; limited geographic footprint compared to severa peer competitors;

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to listen to employees;

Worked for Grange Insurance? Contribute to the Community!