Granicus Reviews

Updated July 21, 2014
Updated July 21, 2014
3.8

Tom Spengler

Great company, supportive environment, good company culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Granicus full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Supportive management, fun start-up feel, great coworkers. i have not been here terribly long yet but I have enjoyed every minute of being a Granican so far. The atmosphere is very positive and people are very supportive.

Cons

Longer travel time for those who may not live in the city, but relatively close to the bart or caltrain - both within walking distance.

Keep trusting your employees and supporting them!

Great people, great place to work, good flexible work environment

Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Granicus full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Being involved in civic technology that facilitates social change by making our governing structures more transparent and collaborative is really rewarding. Constant innovation and change means you'll never get bored. Executive team is open minded, supports career growth/development and listens to employee input -- you have the opportunity to be heard, bring ideas to the table, or move across departments.

Cons

The company vision/road-map can be a bit A.D.D. and gets very complicated very fast. There are efforts towards investing in employee happiness but not as great as some other SaaS in the area (i.e. no paid lunches, gym/commuter stipends, limited time off for new employees, old dell laptops - no macs). Lack of on-boarding structure also makes it difficult for new employees to be assimilated in easily. Inconsistent management makes it hard to stay accountable. Also working with Government means a slow sales cycle which can be emotionally taxing for sales after a while.

Other SaaS companies understand the value of employee happiness - invest in this and you will see the rewards triple-fold.

Overall, good experience

I have been working at Granicus full-time

Pros

Culture is good, vision/mission is great.

Cons

Major lack of experienced and qualified management.

Inexperienced Executive Team and the Senior Managers.

Former Employee - I.T. Operations in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - I.T. Operations in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Granicus full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-The HR team was amazing to work with.

-Company actives where always a blast.

- The employees have passion for the government.

-They are in a great location.

Cons

- Office culture can be fun. That's if you can get away from your desk to enjoy. The senior manager I worked under would routinely show disgust for someone who was not at their desk when they walked by. However, I do not believe this to be systemic.

- High employee turnover rate due to high expectations with limited resources leading to employee burnout.

The Senior Managers and Executive Team focused entirely too much on workforce productivity at the expense of the employees. This resulted in loss of valuable employees.

Great opportunities to develop professional skills

I have been working at Granicus full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Granicus does a tremendous job of recognizing talent and ambition, independent of past work or education background. The company hires those who demonstrate passion and energy to foster a close knit community, and makes efforts to promote from within.

Cons

Granicus should be mindful of hiring too many friends of employees.

Keep promoting from within, as it will give your hires more motivation to put their best work forward.

Management- Get A clue!

Former Employee - Account Management in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Management in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Granicus full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They hire young and green. The present young people a great opportunity to gain some experience in the tech industry and you get an opportunity to travel a lot.

Cons

Long Sales Cycle and unfavorable compensation plan:

I guess one would expect that it would take longer to sell software to government agencies compared to private organizations; but if you’re green or have never worked with government before, you may not think to ask. Granicus is not forthcoming about their long sales cycles prior to presenting you an offer letter. On average, it will take between 6 to 9 months to close a deal, and depending on the solution you sold, it can take between 3 to 12 months to deploy the product. Although Granicus may be getting better with deployment timelines, you’re still looking at 9 months to year 1/2 from the initial qualification conversation to the deployment complete stage. That is a long time!

Here’s the kicker- Sales people do NOT get paid their commission until the project is deployed and the client begins paying their monthly managed service fee-- which can take an additional 1 to 2 months after the system is deployed. Allow me to put this into perspective for you. I sold a large deal in the June 2013 and I still had NOT received any commission for the deal as of March 2014. I was 120% of quota, but took home less than my OTE. As of March of 2014 I had still not received all the commission I earned in 2013. Granicus owes each sales representative tons of money due to the long sales cycles and long deployment times. This places the sales rep in an uncomfortable situation. Sales reps loose all their owed commission is they leave Granicus, but the longer they say the higher the number gets. Sooner or later you’ll notice that Granicus owes you 50k. That’s a down payment on a house! What would you do? Would you stay and risk it increasing to 100k? Or would you go?

Dishonest and Ineffective Leadership:

The entire sales organization expressed their frustrations with compensation plan, so we hoped in Jan 2014 that management would make some drastic changes. Let’s be real. We are in sales for one reason and one reason only. To make money! Management presented a drastically improved compensation plan to the entire sales organization at the beginning of the year. I was thrilled as were many of my co-workers. Yet, just days later management informs us that they made a mistake, so instead of shaving off 6 months, we will only receive our commission 1-2 months sooner. Management is dishonest, weak, and overall a disappointing.

There are some managers that come in to the office late, leave early, and find any excuse to work from home, even when there are new hires to train. The team constantly complains about some of the manager's work ethic and negative approach to leadership. I have never seen such poor leadership skills. As a result, three sales reps late last year; and so far two left this year.

Unless you are green and are having a difficult time finding a job, I would not recommend accepting a job offer at Granicus. The offer will be on average 20% lower than tech industry standards and the leadership is poor.

Read Above

Fun, Fulfilling and Friends

Current Employee - Automation Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Automation Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Granicus full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My co-workers, culture, flexible schedules, new technologies, interesting work, challenging puzzles to solve, easy walk from BART, MUNI or CalTrain. New ideas are encouraged here as well as speaking your mind if things are working. We all get input on how we manage ourselves.

Cons

none, actually. How weird is that?

Keep it up! I'm enjoying the ride.

Love being a part of the Granicus Family

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Granicus full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have a lot of flexibility at Granicus in regards to pursuing passion projects and initiatives. If I see an area for improvement, both for the company or myself, I'm given the opportunity to be proactive and work on it, even with the understanding that I may need to learn from my mistakes. I'm assigned challenging projects by my manager, who doesn't micromanage and trusts me to deliver. My co-workers are wonderful: friendly, supportive, and always willing to jump in and help out. The hierarchy is pretty flat, so I feel comfortable approaching top executives for support and input on my assignments. There's a great company culture of caring for our clients, caring for each other, and working hard to improve our products and systems and innovate.

Cons

I can't think of many cons.

Keep up with the current trend of transparency as far as our company and departmental goals go.

Great Company!

I have been working at Granicus full-time

Pros

Granicus basically has it all. My coworkers are awesome, our leadership is great and our clients are AMAZING. Everyone pours their heart and soul into every day and you can really tell. I have worked for companies where employees are lazy and entitled (bad combination) and Granicus is a breath of fresh air! I really feel like I'm making a difference in the world working here. It's a phenomenal feeling. Did I mention we have the best clients in the world? It's not hard to want to do the best we can for our clients because they are such down to earth people. Granicus is really an amazing place to be and you will realize it the second you walk in the door!

Cons

We could introduce just a little more fun..

Great Company to Work

I have been working at Granicus full-time

Pros

Friendly, family like environment. Creative and a strong tech team. Chance to work with new technologies.

Cons

Very modest company, even though being the leader in the industry they keep low profile in the social media.