Granite Reviews

Updated October 19, 2014
Updated October 19, 2014
3.1

Randy Willis

Pros
  • Good place to start for new graduates as well as former military personnel (in 4 reviews)

• Helpful for a good work life balance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There pretty much is no structured career path (in 3 reviews)

• No clue in the HR department of what talent they have (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

good

Current Employee - Technical in Schenectady, NY
    Current Employee - Technical in Schenectady, NY

I have been working at Granite

Pros

pay is good compared to other places

Cons

time off is bad, 2 weeks vacation

none

Good salary, too much time away from home

Former Employee - Wind Technician in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Wind Technician in Tampa, FL

I worked at Granite

Pros

Salary, beefits are average for the industry

Cons

Road warrior, not a place to work if you don't want to be away from family

N/A

Zero Transparency

Current Employee - Technician in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Technician in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Granite

Pros

Good Pay. Many opportunities all over the world. They're essentially GE Energy, as GE owns Granite. Good benefits.

Cons

No transparency. You literally must ask every single possible question you could ever think of, and still, you'll come across several huge negative surprises. Because you will likely report to a field location (GE), the Granite Managers will have zero idea about what you actually do day-to-day. How can performance be assessed if you have no idea what I do ?? It's painful to speak to them, because you can just assume that they don't know anything about what you intend on asking.

Get a clue. We're all busy, so it's no excuse. Interact with direct GE Managers so that you can actually assess your employees performance.

Great employer contracting to a not-so-great client.

Former Employee - Data Quality Analyst in Schenectady, NY
    Former Employee - Data Quality Analyst in Schenectady, NY

I worked at Granite

Pros

Compensation is slightly above market, great benefits, exposure to some very interesting work matter. Service managers will go to bat for you and represent their labor force very well. Very safety-oriented and provides internal education for site safety and safety improvement.

Cons

While you're a Granite employee, you're a contractor to General Electric and must suffer the whims of their bureaucracy. You get all of the great stress from working on GE schedules and GE subject matter but are often left out of perks such as gatherings, achievement tchotchkes, or other types of recognition. Little to no advancement options as a contractor. Some GE people will not treat you fairly or give your work equal weighting compared to inside work.

Hold clients to their contracts and responsibilities at all levels of management.

Subcontracted by many wind turbine manufacturers to perform receiving, parts inventory, installation, and commissioning

Current Employee - Commissioning Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Commissioning Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Granite

Pros

Paid hourly, travel all over, booming industry, work outside, per diem, bonuses, tooling/gas/office supplies/flights/personal vehicle mileage/etc. expensed, use brand new trucks, insight into different cultural backgrounds/meet many people from all over

Cons

100% travel, 60 to 100 hrs. per wk, extreme environments (hot and cold, wet and dry), no work/life balance

none

Granite services is above average in a tight economy.

Current Employee - CSC Level I Support Engineer in Schenectady, NY
    Current Employee - CSC Level I Support Engineer in Schenectady, NY

I have been working at Granite

Pros

The pay scale seems to be very good for a ground floor position. The scheduled hours allow us to take three or four days per week off, which works out well for my personal situation. The people that I work with seem to be of above average intelligence and everyone gets along well. We work in a team environment, for long hours and that is important.

Cons

The hours are difficult to work in a row, 4 days of 12 hours. Sometimes being a contractor at a GE facility means you get the short end of the stick when it comes to fair treatment by GE, but Granite does a good job of trying to make that up.

Make sure that advancement is shown as a viable option, that Granite is a place to have a career, not just a job.

GE

I have been working at Granite (more than an year)

Pros

working, leadership, time-off policies, off day, compensation, flexible.

Cons

benefit, career path, chance to work,

A company which lives up to it's 4 main values: Integrity, EHS, Quality and Productivity.

Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Granite full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A wholly owned affiliate of General Electric which proved to be a company you would want to work in. They also have flexible working arrangements where you can truly enjoy work-life balance.

Cons

It could use more benefits for the employees and contractual empoyees though.

Indian Branch has turned into a lala company

I worked at Granite

Pros

It is a good place if you are looking to work with good subordinates or good non directorial level employees

Cons

Most unethical and nonprofessional and non deserving director who has turned the indian branch into a lala company. He curses employees behined their back in front of other employees. no work life balance

Not to follow the Indian Director blindly

No Future

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Granite full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Still trying for figure some out...

Cons

Poor management, Useless HR department, no structure, absolutely no communication inside the company. This company is specialized in "on-site engineers", so their handling of a department based in an office was a total catastrophe. Hierarchy badly organized. Career development non-existing. The manager had no clue about our activities, the service leader had no clue about his role, and basically the only way to have efforts recognized was by praying that a man, who did not know what his position was, put a good word about you to a man who had no clue about your job.

Granite is part of General Electric, which a type of internal outsourcing.

No review for 2 years. Officially it had to be performed every 12 months, but the company policy was every 14 months. In the end I had not had one for over 2 years.

You get told everything and its opposite, everyday. Confusion all the time, and the team gets blamed for management incompetence.

I could write a ten pages review just to highlight dysfunctionnalities. Very disappointing experience.

Know what your role is. If you are a team leader, be a leader (lead by example), and don't forget that you are still part of the team! Don't hire random people from the street. Learn what your job is, and realize communication is vital! As a leader, you don't act in an office like you would as a Burger King team leader!

Granite Photos

Granite Booth at the Turbomachinery Symposium Exhibition
Turbine & Compressor Service
Specialty Contractor services for installation of heavy duty gas turbines, steam turbines, & compressors

+ Add Photo