Granite Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1. Nice Work environment

I have been working at Granite full-time

Pros

Flexible work environment, excellent team coordination, Good value to employees personal life. Good exposure in IT environment.

Cons

Limited resources and scope for IT team to grow big.

Variable Workforce Company

I have been working at Granite full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Has some good people especially people that specialize in fields like materials management or logistics.

Cons

There pretty much is no structured career path. You're pretty much a part of a variable workforce working on GE projects until you get laid off or decide to quit.

3. A roller coaster

I worked at Granite full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are better than most other staffing companies. If you have no real skills, do not know how to get along with people, like to take credit for other employees’ suggestions, ideas and work you have found the ideal company to work in. Promotions and job rotations are endless for you. If you know anyone in middle/upper management and they like you, your future is very promising regardless of your background, training or ability to perform. One additional benefit , if you follow suggestions, orders or are willing to do whatever is directed by your manager(s) without any of your own thoughts, comments, suggestions, ideas, or concern for any other employees you have a job for life.

Cons

No company is perfect. We all strive to be happily and gainfully work however it appears ALL of the most imperfect people at those imperfect companies are hired as supervisors, managers and especially directors at Granite. Very little or no career path except to the "good old boy system" or friends recommend by upper management---regardless if they have the basic skills for the job or not.

Advice to Management

Do not listen to any current employees, former employees or customer comments. Keep doing the same things and do not change as it is working for you.

A One-Way path to No Where! Granite Wind Segment

Current Employee - Technical Advisor- Wind Install in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Technical Advisor- Wind Install in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Granite full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company had fair training, good travel opportunities, and reasonable pay. Granite is horrible to deal with in between projects, but once your on a GE site; it is quite pleasant, and I enjoyed my work.

Cons

No clue in the HR department of what talent they have. They don't know a good worker from bad! Classic Nepotism, "Good Ole' Boy" Network. If your not included in it, you might be out of work for 8 months. No job advancement, if your hired for a certain position, you may have a chance at a lead position, and nothing further! If you have any problems to be solved (computer issues, insurance, 401k, etc) good luck, your service manager NEVER gets back to you, along with the staff at Tampa! I could go on for hours about the issues of this company!

Advice to Management

I would eradicate all the inept, middle managers, especially the service managers from the wind segment! I would get back to the tradition of when it was Penpower, and hire the best talent who could do the job the quickest and best. Hiring people off the street MUST stop. There were some of my colleagues who could barely speak interpretable English.

6. Decent, flexible.

Current Employee - Wind Turbine Technician in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Wind Turbine Technician in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Granite full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Relatively well pay, easy co-workers. This is a job where you can interact as much or as little as you like with collegues.

Cons

There is nepotism throughout. There is no room for promotion or a raise. You are asked to perform tasks outside of scope and the company hires individuals "off the street"

Advice to Management

There are power struggles in the company. There is a barriers between management and labor. Complaints go unheard and the managers encourage little participation in the bottom up meeting.

7. Good starting point

I have been working at Granite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of paid down time during the summer and winter months. Good place to start for new graduates as well as former military personnel. GE is quite accessible for other opportunities from within. Pay is okay, lots of overtime. Benefits are solid, a tad expensive though.

Cons

A lot of time away from home for field employees. Bureaucracy gets in the way sometimes, can be rather frustrating.

8. Started great, ended terrible

I worked at Granite full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1) The benefits and pay are competitive with other companies in the market, and they're owned by General Electric-- still my client today, but under a different contract house. 2) The merit pay increases are of a reasonable amount, even during the recession.

Cons

The company was originally configured to contract field engineers and shop floor workers. When they attempted to take on the responsibility of contracting technical personnel (database administrators, programmers, etc), they were out of their league, but couldn't admit it. The result was that management tried to treat office workers as if we were blue-collar, with all that that entails; supervision was far too tight, with no opportunity to seek new methods of solving problems. At several points, they even pulled the history on our building access card swipes. That wouldn't have been so bad, if the office arrangement at the time hadn't meant having to swipe just to return from using the bathroom (not the fault of Granite, but of the extremely full workspace we were in, which necessitated seating us in temporary cubicles in an auditorium). Several of my co-workers left the company in disgust, in large part because the responsibilities they were told they would have when hired had nothing to do with the tasks with which they were actually given. The company does not offer COLA pay increases. Lastly, the review schedule we were each told about when hired (14-month cycles) was never actually followed. It wasn't unusual to go two years without a review.

Advice to Management

Focus on a few core disciplines, as Granite did when it started. Leave other professional categories to companies better suited to handle them. Control employee turn-over by making it more worthwhile emotionally, to work for Granite. When you offer 14-month review periods at the time of hire, stick to that schedule.

9. Glad to be a part of the team

Current Employee - Senior, Recruiter
    Current Employee - Senior, Recruiter

I have been working at Granite full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Granite Services is a 100% GE owned Affiliate Company that supports the installation, maintenance, and repairs of GE industrial equipment. Granite offers a wide variety of opportunities that range from construction to project management, and field service to administrative positions supporting anywhere from 6 to 10 other divisions of GE industrial equipment. There are plenty of opportunities for self-starters with a positive attitude. I am fortunate and very happy to be working for a world class organization like Granite Services International, Inc.

Cons

No company does everything perfect and GSI is no different. Way more pros than cons and that makes it worth working

Work you into the ground and expect more and more each day

I have been working at Granite full-time

Pros

Good pay, good people -- that is the mangers, supervisors and below... Not senior mgmt.

Cons

They work you to death, and then turn around and expect more. The Senior mgmt is their own little "clique" and if they don't like you ... well then you are out and will be out of a job soon. They certainly do not look at peoples skill level. They set people up for failure so they can manage them out of the company, instead of doing the right thing. Expect employees to do unethical and illegals things to keep the company $$ positive.

Advice to Management

Look at your management you seriously need a course in Ethics!

11. Awesome company to work for!

Current Employee - Comm Operations Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Comm Operations Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Granite full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is a sub of General Electric.

Cons

There is a mandatory 90 day break in service

RSS Feed </> Embed