Granite Services

Granite Services Reviews

Updated Jun 28, 2014

Randy Willis

Overall a great company

Senior Level III Technician (Former Employee)

ProsGreat place to start-up
    Management was mostly military so they have a good head on their shoulders
    Pay is very competitive
    Matching 401K
    Great benefits

ConsExtensive travel. Great if you are single, not so much if you have a family.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Six years of global experience

Business Analyst (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsMacro management, allowed to self plan and execute.

ConsPoor HR, poor service management.

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage more with employees and conduct performance reviews on time.

No upward mobility, no employee support

Logistics Analyst (Current Employee)
    Marietta, GA

ProsI have nothing good I can say about this company. They seem to delight in trying to pound square pegs into round holes.

ConsNo upward mobility, no employee support, no growth potential at all.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice Work environment

ProsFlexible work environment, excellent team coordination, Good value to employees personal life. Good exposure in IT environment.

ConsLimited resources and scope for IT team to grow big.

Variable Workforce Company

ProsHas some good people especially people that specialize in fields like materials management or logistics.

ConsThere pretty much is no structured career path. You're pretty much a part of a variable workforce working on GE projects until you get laid off or decide to quit.

A roller coaster

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits are better than most other staffing companies.
    If you have no real skills, do not know how to get along with people, like to take credit for other employees’ suggestions, ideas and work you have found the ideal company to work in. Promotions and job rotations are endless for you.
    If you know anyone in middle/upper management and they like you, your future is very promising regardless of your background, training or ability to perform.
    One additional benefit , if you follow suggestions, orders or are willing to do whatever is directed by your manager(s) without any of your own thoughts, comments, suggestions, ideas, or concern for any other employees you have a job for life.

ConsNo company is perfect. We all strive to be happily and gainfully work however it appears ALL of the most imperfect people at those imperfect companies are hired as supervisors, managers and especially directors at Granite.
    Very little or no career path except to the "good old boy system" or friends recommend by upper management---regardless if they have the basic skills for the job or not.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not listen to any current employees, former employees or customer comments. Keep doing the same things and do not change as it is working for you.

A One-Way path to No Where! Granite Wind Segment

Technical Advisor- Wind Install (Current Employee)
    Tampa, FL

ProsThe company had fair training, good travel opportunities, and reasonable pay. Granite is horrible to deal with in between projects, but once your on a GE site; it is quite pleasant, and I enjoyed my work.

ConsNo clue in the HR department of what talent they have. They don't know a good worker from bad! Classic Nepotism, "Good Ole' Boy" Network. If your not included in it, you might be out of work for 8 months. No job advancement, if your hired for a certain position, you may have a chance at a lead position, and nothing further! If you have any problems to be solved (computer issues, insurance, 401k, etc) good luck, your service manager NEVER gets back to you, along with the staff at Tampa! I could go on for hours about the issues of this company!

Advice to Senior ManagementI would eradicate all the inept, middle managers, especially the service managers from the wind segment! I would get back to the tradition of when it was Penpower, and hire the best talent who could do the job the quickest and best. Hiring people off the street MUST stop. There were some of my colleagues who could barely speak interpretable English.

Wind Turbine Commissioner That's Not Advancing

Field Comissioner (Current Employee)

ProsCompetitive Pay, Good Benefits, Great Building block

ConsOnly a job not a career and management will prevent you from crossing into other fields.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow your employees to grow otherwise they'll leave and you'll have lost experience that you've help build. GE Training cost money.

Decent, flexible.

Wind Turbine Technician (Current Employee)
    Tampa, FL

ProsRelatively well pay, easy co-workers. This is a job where you can interact as much or as little as you like with collegues.

ConsThere is nepotism throughout. There is no room for promotion or a raise. You are asked to perform tasks outside of scope and the company hires individuals "off the street"

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are power struggles in the company. There is a barriers between management and labor. Complaints go unheard and the managers encourage little participation in the bottom up meeting.

Good starting point

ProsPlenty of paid down time during the summer and winter months. Good place to start for new graduates as well as former military personnel. GE is quite accessible for other opportunities from within. Pay is okay, lots of overtime. Benefits are solid, a tad expensive though.

ConsA lot of time away from home for field employees. Bureaucracy gets in the way sometimes, can be rather frustrating.

Worked for Granite Services? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Granite Services reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Granite Services CEO Randy Willis. All 51 reviews posted anonymously by Granite Services employees.