Granite Services

www.gsinc.com

Granite Services Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Randy Willis

Pros
  • Good place to start for new graduates as well as former military personnel(in 4 reviews)

• Good benefits, job security, great people to work with and lots of diversification, work-life balance(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • No clue in the HR department of what talent they have(in 3 reviews)

• Road warrior, not a place to work if you don't want to be away from family(in 2 reviews)

Granite Services in Tampa

Leadership (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsEasy work environment, nice people. Great work / life balance.

ConsLimited career growth opportunity for staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementDoing good.

OK place to work if you can work with all of the hassles.

Field Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsGood training programs and you get good field experience. There are various contracts available to you and you are paid weekly. Good health benefits. Can be a bridge to working with GE, since they are the parent company. BTW, the HR folks seemed pretty good to me, but I didn't need to forward any management issues to them. I just dealt with the managers directly.

ConsManagement is a problem. I had 4 different managers before I got laid off. The Granite managers may not be be very knowledgable about your work role and its details and they can be very difficult to reach when you need them. You can get caught in the middle between Granite and GE and not know what is going on. Then it could be too late to get things straightened out. Don't expect to get performance reviews or get your contract renewed on time. Also, getting your 'numbers' before going out on assignment may not be timely, resulting in issues when you need to do get your billing done for your time & expenses.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt seems like there are too many workers assigned to each manager. That needs to be corrected and then the managers need to be accessible 24x7 when you are out in the field. The managers also need to be honest & straight-ahead on all communication with their employees. No b.s. or pie-in-the-sky stuff that couldn't possibly materialize. They need to be able to take honest criticism from their employees without copping attitudes (or worse). And they need to listen and be more empathetic. Thanks!

Good company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat service manager; cared about employees

Consfrequent changes in management; not many opportunities for growth

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company to work for

Financial Contracts Specialist (Current Employee) Schenectady, NY

Prossubsidiary of GE
    decent benfits for a contractor

ConsNO breiefment
    No addtional time off after 5 year
    no WFH policy
    compensation could be more

A good stepping stone

ProsGood benefits, job security, great people to work with and lots of diversification, work-life balance

ConsLack of ability to grow

Logistics Sourcing Leader

Logistics Sourcing Leader (Former Employee) Greenville, SC

ProsStepping stone to a new role with General Electric direct or another Energy or Logistics firm. This is at best an entry level opportunity until you can get your big boy pants on!

ConsManagement is horrible and Human Resources is non existent, no training and no growth . Once economy improves there goes your resources . No better than a staffing agency

Advice to Senior ManagementValue the resources you have hired as you are a service provider. No corporate identity, high corporate mistrust, site management incompetent micro managers

Excellent company

Commissioning Manager (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsExcellent company to work for, great opportunity to excels, It was 10 years of hard working environment, great potential for young person

Consbetter team coordination, better structure, too much early advancement for young and inexperience, too much buddy buddy leadership. Advancement should based on the maturity and leadership ability along with knowledge. Leaders must separated them self from the team they lead during after duty hours.

Challenging work environment with team-like organizational culture.

Operations (Former Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsLearn about the energy industry, improve on objective work practices and working with little supervision, support staff bonuses. Utilize high-end software and database applications.

ConsCompany may have grown too fast, no real extensive tasks and procedures to follow, particularly for the most important business aspect - purchase orders/billing. Support staff salary is half that of middle management, yet support staff is expected to guide management through established task and procedures. Employees are required to take vacation within the year or lose the hours accrued.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor any strategic planning, look to the end user (entry level staff) for guidance.

Management is unprofessional and clueless of the work performed in the logistics office.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWeekly pay, great benefits, excellent time off plan from starting day.

ConsIf you have issues with management you can almost guarantee your professional work will not overcome the personal opinion of management. Once you are labeled a problem or person who stands up for themselves you will always be a target.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuilding company moral would be very beneficial to helping secure contracts and additional responsibility. HR and management are not there to resolve employee issues, most concerns are swept under the rug and a lot if decisions are made on personal basis not professional achievements.

Generous wholly owned affiliate of GE hiring contractors.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Schenectady, NY

ProsIndependent work environment. Fair pay. Great benefits include, medical, dental, eye, life, 401K match, as well as other packages. The employee contribution was minimal compared to past employers. In conjunction with GE, the company provides employee with annual review. HR representative is on site in case someone is in need of assistance.

ConsPosition is not permanent (contractor status). There's no feeling that you're part of a company team. Departure policy dictates they cannot provide references to anyone. When hired for a one year term, the maximum extension you can get is another 6-months (18-months total). After which, you MUST take a 3-month layoff before being considered for rehire. No promises on rehire.

Worked for Granite Services? Contribute to the Community!