Granite Telecommunications Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.9
Rob Hale Jr.

Pros
  • maybe the free gym but that's about it (in 7 reviews)

• If you work hard, there is room for advancement and you will be able to find the right place for yourself in the company (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Treat like you are in middle or high school (in 11 reviews)

• They were told by upper management to "cool out" and they were allowed to come back to work because they are "heavy hitters (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Granite is a great place to work; collegial environment and good compensation and benefits.

Current Employee - Legal Department in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Legal Department in Boston, MA

I have been working at Granite Telecommunications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked at Granite going on 2 years now and I couldn't be happier. Granite has a team atmosphere and is a very philanthropic company; the two going hand in hand. Granite offers employees interesting work in a cutting-edge industry with a clear path to advancement as well as good compensation (including regular company-wide bonuses tied to how well Granite is doing . . . everyone shares in Granite's consistent and continuing success) and good benefits (e.g., 401K plan and healthcare). Granite provides a much better work life balance than I have had in my prior jobs, typically Monday through Friday and only seldomly needing to work nights or weekends (a handful of weekend days in 2 years), with a generous number of paid time off (PTO) days from day one. I plan to stay at Granite for a long time and continue to contribute to and benefit from its continuing track record of impressive growth.

Cons

None (except for the commute . . . I should live closer to work or live closer to a T stop, Granite is within walking distance to the redline and a lot of employees commute using the T).

Advice to Management

My only advice to management would be to keep at it; continue to work to grow the company and continue to listen to Granite's employees and share the company's growth with all of the employees.

2. Great place

I have been working at Granite Telecommunications

Pros

Great work culture, you will love it here

Cons

The base pay is not enough to make a living

Advice to Management

Raise to base pay

Decent company

I have been working at Granite Telecommunications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Granite follows a very common blueprint of hiring fresh college grads as temps and giving them 3 months to prove themselves. All told, you really have to earn NOT being hired permanent. It's very simple to get hired: Do your job. Show up on time. Pass the drug test and background check. In my department, it's pretty lax. There is a dress code for the male employees, but women can dress casual without any complaints. We are treated well and work is mostly steady. Nobody questions if you leave your desk and nobody harps on you if you do your job. I was promoted after going perm less than 7 months prior without doing much so I'm not sure what some other complaints about impossible promotions were about. This company is designed to move forward without a stable core of workers. They're pretty much geared towards acting as a starting point for fresh college grads while still looking for that diamond in the rough to keep around for the foreseeable future. The gist of it is we'll keep you around a few years and if you really impress us you'll have a strong future here. Otherwise we part ways when you are ready to move on. This formula does produce a lot of turnover but isn't really hurting anyone. They have new hire classes pretty frequently. Benefits are decent but nothing spectacular. The COO learns everyone's name and remembers which is impressive. The CEO is a nice guy too.

Cons

Wages are below the industry average. Temps aren't treated as well. Minimal room for growth if you aren't in the inner circle. The higher paid do much less work. The average employee has to work extra hard to reach monetary goals that only benefit the higher ups. They don't expect you to stay beyond 2 years and it shows.

Advice to Management

Competitive wages. Competitive Benefits. Profit sharing. Granite is a great idea, but it'll never beat out the competition for workers if they don't compete for them. Acting like you don't care if we accept the job and want to stay here a long time won't win over lifers. We want to feel valued and like you want us to be here.

5. Management

I have been working at Granite Telecommunications

Pros

Granite's continued growth provides for excellent opportunities for career growth Dynamic environment with great opportunities for "on job" learning Focus on employee training - personal, management and product Active lifestyle culture - various sports teams and excellent gym facilities Philanthropic culture

Cons

Employees succeed when they are goal oriented

6. SVP

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Quincy, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Quincy, MA

I have been working at Granite Telecommunications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Granite is a dynamic and fast paced company that seeks to aggressively grow on a year to year basis. Granite averages over $100 million in growth every year- this results in incredible opportunities for those who like to work hard and make a difference. If you are goal focused, honest, hard-working and intelligent you will be able to rise up through the ranks very quickly. The company seeks to make major investments in the career development of the top performers with the goal of growing the employee and the company at the same time.

Cons

The expectations are very high at Granite- if you are looking for a 9 to 5 type of job this place isn't for you. If you want to work hard at a company that rewards your efforts and actively invests in the top performers then Granite is definitely worth a look.

Advice to Management

Granite needs to continue to invest in the new products and the people who support them.

7. A darn good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Quincy, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Quincy, MA

I have been working at Granite Telecommunications

Pros

Granite provides unrivaled support to hundreds of charitable organizations. Management acknowledges and rewards the successes of individuals, teams, and the company as a whole. The fast-moving and ever-changing business always provides a challenge and opportunities.

Cons

Preparing (and receiving) performance reviews every quarter can be overkill for long-standing employees. Some members of senior management seem oblivious to the widely acknowledged short-comings and ineptitude of favored direct reports. Often, people are rewarded for simply doing the basics of their job.

8. Great place to work

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Granite Telecommunications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One of the fastest growing companies in the country Goal oriented Privately Held Room for advancement Philanthropic company that cares a great deal about the community Overall a great place to work. One of the coolest concepts is the company shares in a quarterly bonus if it hits growth goals. When the company hit $1 billion in revenue, it shared a $1 million bonus across the company.

Cons

Tough industry to work for Strict working hours, 8-5 Poor cross department communication

Advice to Management

Offer opportunities for flexible work hours and telecommuting. Measure your employees on productivity and the work they do, not the hours spent.

9. Good Place to Work- Good Community

Former Employee - MAC Provisioning Analyst in Somerville, MA
    Former Employee - MAC Provisioning Analyst in Somerville, MA

I worked at Granite Telecommunications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pros of working at Granite depend on where you are placed in your initial job setting. If you are a premier you are in a good place just below sales, if you are anything else you might find the work difficult as well as the battle between the review team and you exhausting. Yes, the comapny gives incentives and bonuses, and are pretty fair when it comes to the work, but the work you will be doing depending where you fall in to the Granite system is very technical, and can leave you uninspired. However, the Granite community is actually a quite supportive and friendly group. You'll find there are many chances to join in extracurriculars. I also have to say the fundraising that the Granite team does is incredible, including the money raised for many charities across the Massachusetts area. I have to say I was very proud of the community when a co-worker suggested that he would shave his entire heed and beard if the money was donated for Cancer research. Many people including myself joined in and everyone who shaved their head Granite donated a thousand dollars to cancer research. I heard that we raised over 2 million for cancer research. I have to say i was very proud of the team then.

Cons

Just get placed in the right department and you will be fine.

If you're looking for a challenge, look elsewhere.

I have been working at Granite Telecommunications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A good way to see what the corporate world can be like. As a girl you can wear almost whatever you want so that's a plus. If you're really smart you will get a lot of responsibilities which looks great on your resume. The philanthropy is top notch.

Cons

You will be treated like you are a means to an end. That end being putting money in the pockets of management. There's nothing challenging or difficult and askin for more means you get more menial responsibilities with no increase in pay.

Advice to Management

It would be great if the intelligent people were recognized and were properly compensated for the work that they do. I haven't actually spoken to anyone who genuinely likes working here and it shows in the company morale and work ethic.

Always Room For Improvement

I have been working at Granite Telecommunications full-time

Pros

Free gym, benefits, proximity to public transportation, diversity, young company

Cons

Rigid work schedule (militant): Even if you're 1 minute late, you are written up. Lunch is 12:00 pm- 1:00 pm for everyone. Everyone is basically on the same schedule, which makes it feels like you're in prison. They have camera's that monitor when people come in and out, and even secret snitches who will rat you out to upper management if you're frequently late. They have even started locking the doors in the morning until 8:00. Punctuality is key and that's understandable, but quite frankly, it's shouldn't be enforced so harshly. We are all adults, not children. Employee appreciation: while Granite tries to show employee appreciation via employee of the week and month with gift cards and what not, they could do better. For the most part, most employees feel disposable and unappreciated. Young Company: great for the company in terms of longevity and rates for benefits since for the most part everyone is healthy; not so good for employees who have to deal with immature managers who make decisions based on emotion and not on facts. Young and inexperienced managers who for the most part don't know what they're doing. They are just puppets. Compensation: Unless you're a VP or sales person, you're being short changed. Coming in as a temp, you are given one salary and that's to make sure you stay long enough to go permanent. Once you go permanent, they will decrease it, saying that "it's not in the budget". So you didn't know it wasn't in the budget before you went hiring folks??? Riiiiiggggght. Dress code: What dress code??? Company culture: seems like it's every man for himself. Put it this way, at least with your enemies, you know what you're getting. It's your "friends" you have to worry about. Career growth: If you're into telecommunications, great. But you better come in as a VP, HR, or sales. Because other than that, there is not much room for growth. You can become very stagnant and comfortable, and most of those skills are NOT transferable unless you go to another telecomm company, or have management skills.

Advice to Management

Granite Cares? Act like it and not just through your "philanthropic" write offs. Show it by valuing the most important people who make it happen at Granite: YOUR EMPLOYEES!

Granite Telecommunications Response

Jun 23, 2015 – Social Media & Campus Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback, we carefully review each comment and pass along to the appropriate party for process improvement. We hope you've also had the opportunity to speak with your director ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed