Granite Telecommunications
www.granitenet.com Quincy, MA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Granite Telecommunications Reviews

Updated Apr 18, 2014

Rob Hale Jr.

Pros:
  • "Free parking if you can find a spot"
    in 3 reviews
  • "While I enjoyed some of my time there and met some great people, I do feel like I wasted time and my career suffered because of it"
    in 2 reviews
Cons:
  • "Everybody pretty much has just graduated college hence the high school atmosphere"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Management-- especially upper management-- does not understand the carrot and stick reward system"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Phenomenal growing company

Regulatory Intern (Former Employee)
Quincy, MA

I worked at Granite Telecommunications as an intern for more than a year

ProsSince it is growing, there are endless opportunities to take advantage of. Compensation is competitive and the leadership is very involved in helping the community.

ConsGenerally, the talent at the company experiences a great deal of churn. Plenty of lazy people that work in fairly mind-numbing roles. However, the younger workers keep the atmosphere alive and actually take the stairs. Nothing is free, so not a typical start-up atmosphere despite the wonderful access every employee has to the CEO and COO.

Advice to Senior ManagementEverything they do is great from a team building perspective, though there is an odd feeling when everyone makes a mad dash to the elevator (because they are too lazy to use the stairs) right at 5PM. I wish it would feel that people cared more about their work and not just beating the traffic out of the parking lot.

So much potential

Quincy, MA

I have been working at Granite Telecommunications full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCoworkers are great. There are a lot of amazingly talented people doing their best to make Granite the best it can be.

The company makes huge contributions to local charities - almost entirely based on employee suggestions. Each Friday employees pay $3+ to wear jeans. That money goes to a charity and the company matches each donation dollar for dollar.

ConsThe atmosphere is one of fear. From temps to seasoned employees, almost everyone is afraid that at any moment, their jobs will suddenly evaporate.

The COO walks around the company "saying hello" to everyone. Whether this is his intention or not, it feels like he is checking up on every single employee.

The way teams and departments are structured fosters competition both between and within teams. Teams blame each other for mistakes and try to take credit for each others' successes. If something goes wrong, upper management's first interest is finding out who made the mistake rather than how to fix it or prevent it from happening again.

An example of the unhealthy competition that's encouraged, during a team meeting, the COO demanded that two people who had worked together on a project and received an recognition as a team to compete for a single $25 gift card rather than give them each the respect they deserved.

Advice to Senior ManagementFoster team work within the company rather than pitting people against each other.

Micro-manage less.

Treat people with respect and they will respect you.

Hire people you can trust so that management can focus on managing the company.

Major Account Executive

Major Account Manager (Current Employee)
West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Granite Telecommunications full-time for more than a year

ProsOutstanding Organization, Management and CEO!

ConsNone really-A great enviornment to be in

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the outstanding work!

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Joke! Do not go in! It's a trap! Work if you need quick money...that's it!

I have been working at Granite Telecommunications full-time for less than a year

ProsFree gym. Hour lunch. Nice location

Cons2 sales reps got into a fist fight...yes a fight at work. It was over one of their girlfriend's that worked in a different dept. They were told by upper management to "cool out" and they were allowed to come back to work because they are "heavy hitters." Upper management threatens and swears at you if you dare leave on your scheduled time of department. The training is the worst I have ever seen. You have to figure everything out for yourself. No wonder the turnover rate is high! Only thing that is free here is water..no coffee, tea, plates...nothing

Advice to Senior ManagementGet separate supervisors to just train and not worry about making sales.

Not as bad as they say

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Granite Telecommunications full-time for less than a year

ProsThe atmosphere was pleasant, and in my department I never felt like anyone was looking over my shoulder or belittling me. I was given daily schedules and left alone. The little group I worked in consisted of friendly and helpful individuals.
The company also allows for vertical AND horizontal growth, as employees can switch to a different department after a set period of time working.

ConsMany of the positions in the company, particularly starter jobs, are what I would call "monkey work." These positions use skills that anyone straight out of high school has, but the company requires their employees hold bachelor's degrees.
Because of this, many of the departments feature jobs that will not make the most of whatever degree you may have, and this can leave someone unfulfilled.

Advice to Senior ManagementDrop the bachelor's degree requirements. Many of the lower-end positions don't need them; you can supply jobs to high school grads and offer it at a lower salary. For many high school grads, the only options involve retail and fast food. Offering a lower, but competitive wage against these jobs will entice any young worker who would much rather work at a desk than behind a register.

If depression had a source, it would be here.

I have been working at Granite Telecommunications

ProsNice gym. Free parking if you can find a spot. As long as you're not a complete idiot, job security is pretty much guaranteed. Everyone is miserable here so you're not alone!

ConsYou have to work through a temp agency for 3 months before you can be hired. Most of the time, the temp agency will try to take 60% of your earnings. Even the permanent employees get underpaid. Very few real holidays. High turnover so don't expect to know people for very long. They require a college degree just to pay you $19 hourly and that's if you're lucky.

Waste of my time

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Quincy, MA

I have been working at Granite Telecommunications as a contractor for less than a year

ProsOffice/call center environment. They offer decent starting pay. There is some room for movement within the company, but not until after you're permanent, which is hard in itself to become.
Great training for the first week.
Parking has improved. Lots of charities to donate to.

ConsThey will hire everyone temp to perm and then get rid of you as a temp for any reason at all what so ever. They seem ok at first, describing the benefits of (making it permanent) working for them and then things go down hill from there. Culture of fear. They will let temps go for any reason. Don't ever even think of being late/sick. Zero tolerance as a temp for that. Don't expect to take any kind of day off for at least 180 days of working for them. Second week of training is with your department 'trainers'. We were trained by people who didn't even like their own job and were miserable and it conveyed rather clearly.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire actual employees, assume some risk, stop messing with the temps. Drop the degree requirement. You're only doing it to lure in uninformed desperate younger workers who have no idea what pay should actually be like. You're also driving labor standards down. Be better leaders and you'll get better employees.

It's a good place to build a resume. Not much more.

I have been working at Granite Telecommunications full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIf you're a college grad who needs work, a BA will take you pretty far. If you happen to like the culture and are able to work within it, there's some (some) room for advancement. Occasional bonuses. The health plans are very good.

ConsManagement does not listen to / value / care about employees. Everything is metrics: your progress is gauged almost solely on quantity over quality. Management-- especially upper management-- does not understand the carrot and stick reward system. I mentioned there is some room for growth: this is true for perhaps 20% of employees who adapt well to the sales-driven environment. If you are not in that 20%, it does not matter how good you are at your job, just that you're a warm body.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. They are constantly suggesting process improvements, and it does not feel as though they are listened to. Your employees are the ones doing the hands-on work: they can and will suggest better methods, as well as provide constructive criticism on less-effective measures that are implemented. Your employees are your company: make sure they know that.

Money to be made but terrible management and crazy workload for the most part

Premier Account Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Granite Telecommunications full-time for more than 3 years

Pros-If you get in and get some decent accounts and are a quick learner, there is money to be made.
-Get into sales or cool w the owner and you're good

Cons-Almost every department besides sales is awful to work in.
-Tremendous stress as a premier account analyst and you'll be working through your lunch and staying late almost every day.
-Most mid to upper-level managers are people who have been with the company from day 1. Many have drug and alcohol problems and can get rid of you if you look at them funny or have one argument.
-The managers who are actually decent people won't stand up for you even if they know you're right. At best, you may get a transfer away from a lousy supervisor- if you're very lucky and have been there for years.
-Company loves to burnout employees by overburdening them with work and there is a very high turnover rate.

Advice to Senior Management-Drug test your managers like you made every new employee since 2007 or so do. the problem is about 80% of them would fail.
-Take complaints about management seriously. I've worked for many employers and this isn't sour grapes. I personally liked my manager at Granite but almost every other one I came in contact with had serious issues. If you brought in new managers or elevated your best workers, the company would run more smoothly.

They are good at making money but that means bad things for employees.

MAC Provisioning Representative (I Think They Eliminated This Position) (Former Employee)

I worked at Granite Telecommunications full-time for less than a year

ProsAlright money during the recession but if and when the economy comes back it will be equivalent to being a Supervisor at Dunkin Donuts.If you like kissing ass, this is perfect.

ConsUnfortunately their strategy is to fool recent College Grads into working as hard as possible but they won't hire you in the end. At the end of the day, it's all about current supervisors trying to become managers and up the line. They don't have degrees, do the math.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat job. I see your strategy. Every firsr three months of the year, you monitor sites like this to control the info temps get. Then you research how to lessen the impact of the reviews to new temps. Who you hire about 80% of in the first quarter. You intend to hire none after a yeae but you send some home after 3. You also trick people into thinking after 3 months they will be hired but for some reason it never happens. Just look at the numbers. Idk if Granite pays for the articles written about them but they make no sense. Their blueprint seems to be Early in the year have articles written that displays that they are doubling in size or what not ans abt how they are so charitable. Then mid year have an article written about a contest for employees for money. Then late in the year an article about reaching that goal (always on the back of temps). But my concern is....does anyone read anymore? In 2013 they said they wanted to double in size and they were opening up a new building. In an interview later in the year, the CEO said they plan to hire around 500 new employees. Well, the number of employeea has stayed at 1100...not a good sign....same amount of workers with more space. Aka they are eliminating alot of positions.,Now another recent article also says Granite is looking to double its workforce...then it states it plans to reach 1200 employees in the next fivw years. I can't make these things up.

Worked for Granite Telecommunications? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Granite Telecommunications reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Granite Telecommunications CEO Rob Hale Jr. All 72 reviews posted anonymously by Granite Telecommunications employees.