Granite Telecommunications

Updated March 1, 2015
Updated March 1, 2015
2.0

Rob Hale Jr.

Pros
  • Free gym in the office building (in 7 reviews)

• If you work hard, there is room for advancement and you will be able to find the right place for yourself in the company (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Monday morning meetings to worship the guy who thinks he's the high school prom king (in 11 reviews)

• Management-- especially upper management-- does not understand the carrot and stick reward system (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Not great but could be a lot worse

Current Employee - Repair Analyst in Quincy, MA
    Current Employee - Repair Analyst in Quincy, MA

I have been working at Granite Telecommunications full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You meet some great people and learn new things that you can make useful in the future. Great location close to the T and there is free parking. There are 2 free gyms lots of activities outside of work. The random bonus money you get is nice but tax takes the majority of it. Depending on which department your in you get random days off if the company makes their goals.

Cons

To start off they require a bachelors degree and the pay is horrible you barely get a raise. You will most likely be smarter than your leadership team (seniors, supervisors, managers, etc.) The lazy people get away with everything and they do little to no work, they will be mentioned as the most active person on the team and be accredited for your hard work and then promoted. This is allowed since they kiss up to management. Not very smart to run a department or a company with lazy idiots in charge of everything and making the rules. Granite loves favoritism so don't think your work will mean anything and remember quantity over quality always. Be prepared to take on the burden of other departments responsibilities and you have to fix it. Your job description changes whenever leadership feels like pawning something else on you without warning. 24/7 staffing is required if leadership screws up the schedule somehow or someone quits you could end up working a random shift your not used to just to ensure coverage. As a temp you quickly learn that you want to get in and get out. The list goes on but I won't be extremely negative

There is no point to share my advice. I have tried that before and no one listens. Barely in one ear and quickly out of the other. Continue to act like your blind to what is going on around you. The majority of the people here are so unhappy and it shows. You just feed off the glory of these people and count your money your welcome.

Good place to learn, some things I'd rather change

I have been working at Granite Telecommunications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to learn a number of computer skills, which can be beneficial down the road in personal development. Like to promote from within. Lots of after work activities

Cons

Pay is subpar for work being done. Too many meetings that accomplish little to nothing. The rush to the parking lot at 5 p.m. is mildly frightening.

Needs more commitment to taking care of people other than long-time sales reps and IT. The C-level reps themselves are actually pretty nice, IMO, though.

Good for recent grads.

Former Employee - Data Analyst Level III in Quincy, MA
    Former Employee - Data Analyst Level III in Quincy, MA

I worked at Granite Telecommunications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Two free Gyms
    Annual bonus payouts if revenue goals are met.
    Most employees are in the 22-30 age range.
    Company paid certification courses.

Cons

Pitiful pay. Don't expect to support a family just off this one job. Power-tripping supervisors-it's a big joke. It's boot camp in a cubicle.

Increase employees' wages as it is very challenging to support themselves and their families off what you pay them.
    Try to encourage employees to think outside the box.

Great Company to grow at!

I have been working at Granite Telecommunications

Pros

Granite has tons of opportunity for growth and advancement as long as you put in the work, just like any company. You get quarterly reviews so you know how you are doing and what you need to do to further your career with the company. Granite has a great training department. The bring in experts and you can take the courses for free usually during work hours! You are getting paid to learn!! Granite also has some fun incentives. If the company does well you get bonuses and extra days off.

Cons

I'd like to address some cons I've read in other reviews. Yes you have to work during snow emergencies, but you have the option to take the day off as a paid vacation day or unpaid. So you have options. Granite has customer all over the Nation and their businesses don't stop just because Boston has snow. Also someone stated the company was told they would get the day before Thanksgiving off, that is not true. Granite does an incentive that if a certain goal is reached then the company gets the day AFTER off, however the whole company knows that of that goal is not met then we do not get the day. It is never guaranteed. It's a reward. Granite can be a very rewarding company, it is all about your attitude and what you make of it. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. I've had friends come and go from Granite some are happy and others are not and wish they stayed.

Wished I had stayed but....

I worked at Granite Telecommunications

Pros

I grew with the company, starting in one department then quickly moved up. I loved working with some of my co-workers at that time and made some great friends there. With each position I moved into came with a slight raise but like most people feel in their job positions, never getting what you felt you were deserved.

Cons

Senior staff, under the CEO, were way too power hungry and not willing to hear what had to be said about changes or ideas that needed to be made or heard. Being made an example of, when leaving the company & then wanting to come back and being denied that opportunity when others that had left and came back was not fair. Understand that the company IS a utility with mandatory attendance during severe weather conditions even when the Mayor/Govenor declare a state of emergency and you live far away wasn't ever considered...you HAD to be there...not cool!

Get your head out of your butts, stand up for your people and stop with the power trips!!

Granite Telecommunications - Don't let this place bring you down!

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Granite Telecommunications full-time (less than a year)

Pros

POTENTIAL! This place has so much potential in every category, but as you read, you'll see how 1 person and/or manager can truly MAKE or BREAK a culture/atmosphere.

Its a job.

DIRECTLY across the street from the future site of the Atlanta Braves.

Downstairs café has a good selection, with good food and exceptional service. Mike is the man!

I got a free Nike dry-fit polo.

Free office supplies.

A large majority of the sales staff are really good people to work with and be around.

$50K base for ALL hires/employees is decent for a sales job.

Cons

I honestly don't know where to begin, so I guess I'll be blunt and just list examples.

Absolutely negative place/culture/atmosphere. This place will literally suck the life out of you!

-They scare you, saying you'll NEVER be able to find another sales base salary at $50K anywhere else. This is laughable because I received 3+ job offers after leaving Granite and each were above that astonishing mark of $50K and I ended up accepted the 65. Thanks Granite!

-I just couldn't take the stress or walking into work every day knowing I'd be looked down upon for petty, non-business related things.

-You'll get "fined" $5 for every late/absent internal meeting. (Regardless, whether you were discussing business with a client/prospect, still $5)

-You'll get a Vacation Day taken away if you show up to work with a little bit of scruff or haven't shaved. (This is no joke.)

-You WILL receive weekly, if not daily emails discussing things such as showing up late a minute late to work or not shaving, threatening your job and livelihood.

-I can take getting heckled, but Granite really started becoming a "bully" type atmosphere where employees would just stay reserved to ensure they wouldn't be chastised or made fun of.

-One meeting, I had a manager tell me, he'd support and/or assist me in any way possible to help me out. At the end of the meeting I requested my manager join me on a call.
                                 ***His response: "I'd love to, but I have to take my dog out."***

-I saw a close friend/coworker quit/resign for "personal reasons" the same week he closed a $5K+ commission deal because he couldn't take one more hour, let alone day/week in that place.

If that doesn't speak volumes to you, then hey, maybe this is the place for you!

Main manager is putting it nicely, "A Tool". I strongly believe that is your character and who you are as a person and frankly I don't believe advice can cure who you are. This isn't a personal opinion either, as I have multiple, texts, calls, conversations from the better half of your Salesforce voicing their similar stories, beliefs, and opinions.

Stop buying management books and try actually reading one!

Positive reinforcement can really go a long way. And negative reinforcement can have 50% of your employees contacting other employees who left about "other opportunities". THINK ABOUT IT.

Face it, Granite's a POTS company and your glory days are long gone. You guys lose on (at least) 90% of your bidding wars with any other product/service.

Be the type of person people look forward to showing up and working their tail's off for. Not the person where ALL your employees are talking behind your back, unless you're into that type of thing.

Goodluck fellas!

Great opportunity for advancement

Current Employee - Pricing Analyst in Quincy, MA
    Current Employee - Pricing Analyst in Quincy, MA

I have been working at Granite Telecommunications

Pros

Upward mobility offered to those who work hard
    Good environment on the FP&A team
    Stable and growing business with opportunity

Cons

Strict rules and poor benefits outside of good health care options. Can be a bit difficult for finance workers in a sales driven business

Make schedules flexible

Unrealistic expectations

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Granite Telecommunications full-time

Pros

Great base salary - potential for commissions.

Cons

I was told when I started to not expect a sale for the first year, and not to expect to really make good money until I get a hang of it towards the second year. Now, they are telling me they are expecting new people to make a sale in their first 5 months. Most of the veterans who make 6 figures plus after commission will all tell you that they didn't make their first sale until a year into the job, and didn't make real money until their second year. During the blizzard, all employees were expected to come to work, regardless of conditions, and were handed a badge claiming we were "essential/ critical needs employees" so we could drive during the ban. Our jobs were threatened if we didn't risk our lives to get there. Sales were considered "essential employees" so aka they wanted us to still come in and make money for them. Customer service reps and IT were the only ones put up in a hotel down the road.

Stop acting like you care about your employees by throwing bonus money at them and raising money for charity all the time.....show that you care by showing compassion and concern for their health and safety during a state of emergency.

Granite is the standard of telecom

I have been working at Granite Telecommunications

Pros

Great benefits for employees in and out of work

Cons

Tough working hours especially around holidays

Just don't

I have been working at Granite Telecommunications

Pros

Co workers are typically awesome but that's about it. Free gym. Close to the T. Free parking. Chill environment in provisioning.

Cons

Very very very little opportunity for advancement. Pay does not keep up with inflation. You can work there for five years and still make the same. No yearly raises. Get in get out. Don't make the same mistake I did

Provide the opportunity for yearly raises.

Granite Telecommunications Photos