Granite Telecommunications Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.8
Rob Hale Jr.

Pros
  • maybe the free gym but that's about it (in 7 reviews)

• If you work hard, there is room for advancement and you will be able to find the right place for yourself in the company (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Treat like you are in middle or high school (in 11 reviews)

• They were told by upper management to "cool out" and they were allowed to come back to work because they are "heavy hitters (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Granite is a great place to work; collegial environment and good compensation and benefits.

Current Employee - Legal Department in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Legal Department in Boston, MA

I have been working at Granite Telecommunications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked at Granite going on 2 years now and I couldn't be happier. Granite has a team atmosphere and is a very philanthropic company; the two going hand in hand. Granite offers employees interesting work in a cutting-edge industry with a clear path to advancement as well as good compensation (including regular company-wide bonuses tied to how well Granite is doing . . . everyone shares in Granite's consistent and continuing success) and good benefits (e.g., 401K plan and healthcare). Granite provides a much better work life balance than I have had in my prior jobs, typically Monday through Friday and only seldomly needing to work nights or weekends (a handful of weekend days in 2 years), with a generous number of paid time off (PTO) days from day one. I plan to stay at Granite for a long time and continue to contribute to and benefit from its continuing track record of impressive growth.

Cons

None (except for the commute . . . I should live closer to work or live closer to a T stop, Granite is within walking distance to the redline and a lot of employees commute using the T).

Advice to Management

My only advice to management would be to keep at it; continue to work to grow the company and continue to listen to Granite's employees and share the company's growth with all of the employees.

2. Supervisor 9+ years

Current Employee - Senior Supervisor in Quincy, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Supervisor in Quincy, MA

Pros

This is a growing company. What more do you need to know? Get on board or get out of the way.

Cons

Review salary for position vs. competition.

Advice to Management

Raise slaries

3. Recent grad? AVOID

Former Employee - MAC Representative
    Former Employee - MAC Representative

Pros

Weekly/monthly incentives Fun CEO ... and that's about it...

Cons

Poor management - they care more about final outcome and treat you as a tool. Yes, this place has a high roll over rate for a reason... They suck in recent grads because they are "easy" to obtain. I can hear supervisors and managers talk and gossip behind people's back. Not very professional of them. But then again, why would you gossip about your coworkers AT work in the middle of an open room? Training was bad. And it was worse hands on. They just tell you what to do by following a guide and have you reap your mistakes if you do it incorrectly. It's hell every time the clock strikes 12pm and 5pm. System goes down because over 1,500 employees punch out at the same time. Worst is getting out of the parking lot. Oh, and let's not forget the low pay for MAC reps...

Advice to Management

Make sure the right people are being brought into management position. A good person is always better than one with years of experience. It'll improve quality in the social aspect of the company.

5. Intern

Current Employee - Temp in Quincy, MA
    Current Employee - Temp in Quincy, MA

I have been working at Granite Telecommunications full-time

Pros

Great company if you're looking for opportunity for advancement. Young company, open to new things. Charitable -- Jeans Day on Friday's

Cons

Temporary employment period makes it very difficult to afford living in Boston. Drug test two months into temping. Lots of busy work in some departments. Cold calling.

Advice to Management

Rather than a strict three month temp period, it could be based on performance as well. Incentivizing temps may benefit everyone. Further, temps don't benefit from the plethora of incentives offered to full-time employees. This can be deterring.

6. Repair Analyst

Pros

Great hours, great company, good people.

Cons

Expectations were high sometimes, but you usually had a good team to help you when needed.

7. Avoid anything but sales

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Quincy, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Quincy, MA

I worked at Granite Telecommunications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Right on the MBTA, right off highway

Cons

No merit raises, no recognition for hard work, fmla recipients are treated poorly, refuses to listen to complaints by employees that aren't in sales dept

Advice to Management

Learn what your employees do enough to understand their value so they don't keep leaving.

8. Great place

Pros

Great work culture, you will love it here

Cons

The base pay is not enough to make a living

Advice to Management

Raise to base pay

9. Worst song played on ugliest guitar.

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Quincy, MA
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Quincy, MA

I worked at Granite Telecommunications (Less than a year)

Pros

There really was nothing great about this place. I suppose there's a pretty big parking lot and the commuter rail is only ~5min walk from the building.

Cons

My job here was to review certain reports that were going out to provider companies, ensuring there were no errors. However, we had to be sent these reports in order to review them, and as I was fast and good at my job, I would routinely be waiting around for hours for management to send me more reports. Management simply moved slowly, so even when I pestered them to send more, I would often have to sit around doing nothing. One day, I decided I would take advantage of this downtime and do some freelance work while waiting for the reports to come in. One of the managers walked in and saw me on my laptop and told me to put it away, so I did so immediately and without question. When I came back from lunch, I was pulled into a meeting with the managers and was told I was being let go. Apparently, bringing your own laptop/tablet/etc/computer technology into the building is prohibited due to security reasons, and is cause for dismissal. This information was "in the employee handbook," a handbook which I didn't even know existed, and had never been provided. So, to review, even though I had pestered my managers for work, had downtime, was one of the best employees on my team, had never had a negative run-in with management, and immediately acquiesced to the request to put the computer away, an un-promulgated rule violation led to me being fired on the spot. The work was terrible and I was treated like a straight up monkey. Now I work in a field I love with clients and colleagues who respect me. Being fired from this job was one of the best things that ever happened to me. There also happened to be two cocaine overdoses by employees on the premises while I was there (about a month).

Advice to Management

Don't be so hard-nosed when you're not good at your job either. Treat employees with respect.

Decent company

I have been working at Granite Telecommunications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Granite follows a very common blueprint of hiring fresh college grads as temps and giving them 3 months to prove themselves. All told, you really have to earn NOT being hired permanent. It's very simple to get hired: Do your job. Show up on time. Pass the drug test and background check. In my department, it's pretty lax. There is a dress code for the male employees, but women can dress casual without any complaints. We are treated well and work is mostly steady. Nobody questions if you leave your desk and nobody harps on you if you do your job. I was promoted after going perm less than 7 months prior without doing much so I'm not sure what some other complaints about impossible promotions were about. This company is designed to move forward without a stable core of workers. They're pretty much geared towards acting as a starting point for fresh college grads while still looking for that diamond in the rough to keep around for the foreseeable future. The gist of it is we'll keep you around a few years and if you really impress us you'll have a strong future here. Otherwise we part ways when you are ready to move on. This formula does produce a lot of turnover but isn't really hurting anyone. They have new hire classes pretty frequently. Benefits are decent but nothing spectacular. The COO learns everyone's name and remembers which is impressive. The CEO is a nice guy too.

Cons

Wages are below the industry average. Temps aren't treated as well. Minimal room for growth if you aren't in the inner circle. The higher paid do much less work. The average employee has to work extra hard to reach monetary goals that only benefit the higher ups. They don't expect you to stay beyond 2 years and it shows.

Advice to Management

Competitive wages. Competitive Benefits. Profit sharing. Granite is a great idea, but it'll never beat out the competition for workers if they don't compete for them. Acting like you don't care if we accept the job and want to stay here a long time won't win over lifers. We want to feel valued and like you want us to be here.

Management

Pros

Granite's continued growth provides for excellent opportunities for career growth Dynamic environment with great opportunities for "on job" learning Focus on employee training - personal, management and product Active lifestyle culture - various sports teams and excellent gym facilities Philanthropic culture

Cons

Employees succeed when they are goal oriented

RSS Feed </> Embed