Granite Telecommunications Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.7
Rob Hale Jr.

Pros
  • maybe the free gym but that's about it (in 7 reviews)

• If you work hard, there is room for advancement and you will be able to find the right place for yourself in the company (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Treat like you are in middle or high school (in 11 reviews)

• They were told by upper management to "cool out" and they were allowed to come back to work because they are "heavy hitters (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Granite is a great place to work; collegial environment and good compensation and benefits.

Current Employee - Legal Department in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Legal Department in Boston, MA

I have been working at Granite Telecommunications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked at Granite going on 2 years now and I couldn't be happier. Granite has a team atmosphere and is a very philanthropic company; the two going hand in hand. Granite offers employees interesting work in a cutting-edge industry with a clear path to advancement as well as good compensation (including regular company-wide bonuses tied to how well Granite is doing . . . everyone shares in Granite's consistent and continuing success) and good benefits (e.g., 401K plan and healthcare). Granite provides a much better work life balance than I have had in my prior jobs, typically Monday through Friday and only seldomly needing to work nights or weekends (a handful of weekend days in 2 years), with a generous number of paid time off (PTO) days from day one. I plan to stay at Granite for a long time and continue to contribute to and benefit from its continuing track record of impressive growth.

Cons

None (except for the commute . . . I should live closer to work or live closer to a T stop, Granite is within walking distance to the redline and a lot of employees commute using the T).

Advice to Management

My only advice to management would be to keep at it; continue to work to grow the company and continue to listen to Granite's employees and share the company's growth with all of the employees.

2. Great place to start out! Big changes in last two years!

Current Employee - Rebill Specialist in Quincy, MA
    Current Employee - Rebill Specialist in Quincy, MA

I have been working at Granite Telecommunications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

401k matching is now awesome! How awesome? Come work here and find out! Got more paid time off, and incentive to learn and master transferable computer skills. Tuition reimbursement, and great fundraising opps every Friday to charities the employees get to elect (pending committee review). Massive donations to cancer research--its a great feeling to make a difference!

Cons

Temp to perm process is not consistent, some people go perm right away, while others have to wait 3 months getting crap pay from the temp agencies. Not an easy business to learn--there's no degree for telecommunications business so to speak and learning "telephonese" is very difficult. Thank goodness for Newton's Telecom dictionary!

Advice to Management

Have better resource's/reference guides for new employees so they get it right, and don't have to keep asking the same questions over and over, it is certainly a challenge to 1) learn a new job while 2) creating your own training manual/guide on how to do it. Also provide more opps for employees to refresh their job knowledge as there is lots of information to retain.

Always Room For Improvement

I have been working at Granite Telecommunications full-time

Pros

Free gym, benefits, proximity to public transportation, diversity, young company

Cons

Rigid work schedule (militant): Even if you're 1 minute late, you are written up. Lunch is 12:00 pm- 1:00 pm for everyone. Everyone is basically on the same schedule, which makes it feels like you're in prison. They have camera's that monitor when people come in and out, and even secret snitches who will rat you out to upper management if you're frequently late. They have even started locking the doors in the morning until 8:00. Punctuality is key and that's understandable, but quite frankly, it's shouldn't be enforced so harshly. We are all adults, not children.

Employee appreciation: while Granite tries to show employee appreciation via employee of the week and month with gift cards and what not, they could do better. For the most part, most employees feel disposable and unappreciated.

Young Company: great for the company in terms of longevity and rates for benefits since for the most part everyone is healthy; not so good for employees who have to deal with immature managers who make decisions based on emotion and not on facts. Young and inexperienced managers who for the most part don't know what they're doing. They are just puppets.

Compensation: Unless you're a VP or sales person, you're being short changed. Coming in as a temp, you are given one salary and that's to make sure you stay long enough to go permanent. Once you go permanent, they will decrease it, saying that "it's not in the budget". So you didn't know it wasn't in the budget before you went hiring folks??? Riiiiiggggght.

Dress code: What dress code???

Company culture: seems like it's every man for himself. Put it this way, at least with your enemies, you know what you're getting. It's your "friends" you have to worry about.

Career growth: If you're into telecommunications, great. But you better come in as a VP, HR, or sales. Because other than that, there is not much room for growth. You can become very stagnant and comfortable, and most of those skills are NOT transferable unless you go to another telecomm company, or have management skills.

Advice to Management

Granite Cares? Act like it and not just through your "philanthropic" write offs. Show it by valuing the most important people who make it happen at Granite: YOUR EMPLOYEES!

Jun 23, 2015Social Media & Campus Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback, we carefully review each comment and pass along to the appropriate party for process improvement. We hope you've also had the opportunity to speak with your director ... More

5. Industry Account Manager

Current Employee - Industry Account Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Industry Account Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Granite Telecommunications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Upwooly Mobile company,that has been bilt on hardwork. from the CEO to the Temp workers they all represent the hallmark of excellence . A company that shares with every employee all its accomplishments and financial landmarks. Great work culture and everybody get along.

Cons

They expect excellence and hard work so if you are looking for mediocrity, Granite is not the place.

Advice to Management

GraniteTelecom has we have experience tremendous growth, and with comes growing pains. stay true the original fundamental that Granite was founded on, No mater how big you get, Customers, employees are your number one asset.

6. Sales Director

Current Employee - Sales Director in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Sales Director in Providence, RI

I have been working at Granite Telecommunications full-time

Pros

Granite promotes a healthy, friendly and professional work eviroment. The pay is unattainable at any other telecom company. They have sales training and Granite University to help new sales reps on the fast track to be successful. The benefits are second to none and the CEO is the hardest worker in the organization and sets the example for his sales executives.

Cons

We work hard cold calling all day and you have to be at work at 8am and you do not leave until 5pm with an hour for lunch.

Advice to Management

It would be great if we could improve relationships between operations and sales. The quoting process is a mess and needs to be simplified.

7. Best Sales position I

Current Employee - Senior National Account Manager in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Senior National Account Manager in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Granite Telecommunications (More than a year)

Pros

Granite really puts their employees first. The Executives go out of their way to continually find ways to improve the culture, compensation and facilities we work in. I have never worked somewhere, where the management and executive staff is so helpful. I really could not ask for a better company to be employed by.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say.

Advice to Management

Keep up what you are doing!

Jun 22, 2015Social Media & Campus Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We appreciate your attitude and dedication.

8. Amazing place to work

Current Employee - Credit & Collections Analyst in Quincy, MA
    Current Employee - Credit & Collections Analyst in Quincy, MA

I have been working at Granite Telecommunications full-time

Pros

I love working for Granite Telecommunications, the people in my department are top notch and my supervisor is there for us and is employee centric. She works with you and allows you to do your job with minimal micro management. The philantghropic nature of the company also makes you feel like you are making a difference with a lot of individual charities. The people here care about each other and more importantly, the Company cares about every employee. The Company still sometimes acts like a start up even though they are a Billion dollar entity with 1400 employees. They care about your health and welfare with a 24 hour gym available and personal trainers for free.

Cons

Trying to get out of the parking lot is tough a lot of days if you try and leave at 5:00pm, and the traffic is bad after work, but, were are just outside of Boston what do you expect.

Advice to Management

Keep moving the company in the direction it is going, and thats about it. The business plan is working while fluid at the same time.

Jun 22, 2015Social Media & Campus Recruiter

It’s a great team at Absolute – thank you for sharing your feedback. We have worked hard to cultivate a strong culture where we help drive one another.

9. National Sales Director

Current Employee - National Sales Director in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - National Sales Director in Providence, RI

I have been working at Granite Telecommunications

Pros

Plenty of opportunity for earning potential and professional growth. A very philanthropic company that also cares about its customers.

Cons

Too many sales reps calling on the same companies.

10. sales perspective

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Granite Telecommunications

Pros

Very professional in the day to day processes within a 'family' environment. Lots of opportunity to increase compensation via numerous revenue streams.

Cons

Office is located a rather long distance from where I reside.

Advice to Management

Open more remote offices!

11. Granite

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Granite Telecommunications

Pros

Good talented people. Charitable organization. A very flat organizations with tremendous access to senior management. Good training. Great compensation.

Cons

Its a fast-paced, heavily structured environment. Not for everyone.

Advice to Management

With a clear vision, mission and strong leadership, sr management has grown the company from zero to $1B annualized revenue in 13 years. Clearly they are doing something right. Keep doing what you are doing.

RSS Feed </> Embed