Granite Telecommunications Reviews

Updated March 26, 2015
128 reviews filtered by
2.0
Rob Hale Jr.

Pros
  • Free gym in the office building (in 7 reviews)

• If you work hard, there is room for advancement and you will be able to find the right place for yourself in the company (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Monday morning meetings to worship the guy who thinks he's the high school prom king (in 11 reviews)

• Management-- especially upper management-- does not understand the carrot and stick reward system (in 9 reviews)

1. Don't Take Them for Granite!

I have been working at Granite Telecommunications

Pros

+ Last year the CEO literally gave away $1 million dollars amongst a bunch of employees to thank everyone for helping grow the business to a $1B company. It was something else; dozens and dozens of people were being called up to collect checks anywhere from 5k to 100k. It was life changing to many of my teammates.

+ Gym is awesome and lots of free classes or equipment if you want to do your own thing. It’s a great way to spend your time while you wait for rush hour to die down.

+ A lot of fun, spontaneous stuff; free lunches, events for charity, great team environment, great people to work with.

Cons

+ The term “fast-paced” has become a hollow catch phrase at so many companies, but I learned the true meaning of that word at Granite, one of the fastest growing companies out there. Some people are turned off by it, but it means every day is something new and exciting.
    + It’s a competitive place to work. The company is growing and moving fast and they promote from within, so there’s a lot of opportunity to be had, but they aren’t just going to give it away to anyone.

Broadband Repair Analyst Level 2

I worked at Granite Telecommunications (more than a year)

Pros

bonuses, charity events certifications, experience

Cons

They do no invest in their employees enough to stay with the company long term. Most people want to leave after a year or two.

Push for higher pay.

Great Company to grow at!

I have been working at Granite Telecommunications

Pros

Granite has tons of opportunity for growth and advancement as long as you put in the work, just like any company. You get quarterly reviews so you know how you are doing and what you need to do to further your career with the company. Granite has a great training department. The bring in experts and you can take the courses for free usually during work hours! You are getting paid to learn!! Granite also has some fun incentives. If the company does well you get bonuses and extra days off.

Cons

I'd like to address some cons I've read in other reviews. Yes you have to work during snow emergencies, but you have the option to take the day off as a paid vacation day or unpaid. So you have options. Granite has customer all over the Nation and their businesses don't stop just because Boston has snow. Also someone stated the company was told they would get the day before Thanksgiving off, that is not true. Granite does an incentive that if a certain goal is reached then the company gets the day AFTER off, however the whole company knows that of that goal is not met then we do not get the day. It is never guaranteed. It's a reward. Granite can be a very rewarding company, it is all about your attitude and what you make of it. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. I've had friends come and go from Granite some are happy and others are not and wish they stayed.

5. horrible company, horrible management

I have been working at Granite Telecommunications

Pros

No pros, maybe the only one is proximity to public transportation

Cons

Salary, work/life balance, benefits, management

Retire

Wished I had stayed but....

I worked at Granite Telecommunications

Pros

I grew with the company, starting in one department then quickly moved up. I loved working with some of my co-workers at that time and made some great friends there. With each position I moved into came with a slight raise but like most people feel in their job positions, never getting what you felt you were deserved.

Cons

Senior staff, under the CEO, were way too power hungry and not willing to hear what had to be said about changes or ideas that needed to be made or heard. Being made an example of, when leaving the company & then wanting to come back and being denied that opportunity when others that had left and came back was not fair. Understand that the company IS a utility with mandatory attendance during severe weather conditions even when the Mayor/Govenor declare a state of emergency and you live far away wasn't ever considered...you HAD to be there...not cool!

Get your head out of your butts, stand up for your people and stop with the power trips!!

Not great but could be a lot worse

Current Employee - Repair Analyst in Quincy, MA
    Current Employee - Repair Analyst in Quincy, MA

I have been working at Granite Telecommunications full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You meet some great people and learn new things that you can make useful in the future. Great location close to the T and there is free parking. There are 2 free gyms lots of activities outside of work. The random bonus money you get is nice but tax takes the majority of it. Depending on which department your in you get random days off if the company makes their goals.

Cons

To start off they require a bachelors degree and the pay is horrible you barely get a raise. You will most likely be smarter than your leadership team (seniors, supervisors, managers, etc.) The lazy people get away with everything and they do little to no work, they will be mentioned as the most active person on the team and be accredited for your hard work and then promoted. This is allowed since they kiss up to management. Not very smart to run a department or a company with lazy idiots in charge of everything and making the rules. Granite loves favoritism so don't think your work will mean anything and remember quantity over quality always. Be prepared to take on the burden of other departments responsibilities and you have to fix it. Your job description changes whenever leadership feels like pawning something else on you without warning. 24/7 staffing is required if leadership screws up the schedule somehow or someone quits you could end up working a random shift your not used to just to ensure coverage. As a temp you quickly learn that you want to get in and get out. The list goes on but I won't be extremely negative

There is no point to share my advice. I have tried that before and no one listens. Barely in one ear and quickly out of the other. Continue to act like your blind to what is going on around you. The majority of the people here are so unhappy and it shows. You just feed off the glory of these people and count your money your welcome.

Good for recent grads.

Former Employee - Data Analyst Level III in Quincy, MA
    Former Employee - Data Analyst Level III in Quincy, MA

I worked at Granite Telecommunications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Two free Gyms
    Annual bonus payouts if revenue goals are met.
    Most employees are in the 22-30 age range.
    Company paid certification courses.

Cons

Pitiful pay. Don't expect to support a family just off this one job. Power-tripping supervisors-it's a big joke. It's boot camp in a cubicle.

Increase employees' wages as it is very challenging to support themselves and their families off what you pay them.
    Try to encourage employees to think outside the box.

Good place to learn, some things I'd rather change

I have been working at Granite Telecommunications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to learn a number of computer skills, which can be beneficial down the road in personal development. Like to promote from within. Lots of after work activities

Cons

Pay is subpar for work being done. Too many meetings that accomplish little to nothing. The rush to the parking lot at 5 p.m. is mildly frightening.

Needs more commitment to taking care of people other than long-time sales reps and IT. The C-level reps themselves are actually pretty nice, IMO, though.

10. Descent entry level job

Current Employee - Premier Rebill Analyst in Quincy, MA
    Current Employee - Premier Rebill Analyst in Quincy, MA

I have been working at Granite Telecommunications full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Smart co workers, gym, right of the redline, work/life balance.

Cons

Low pay, micromanagement, poor management, everything is made difficult.

Pay better.

Great opportunity for advancement

Current Employee - Pricing Analyst in Quincy, MA
    Current Employee - Pricing Analyst in Quincy, MA

I have been working at Granite Telecommunications

Pros

Upward mobility offered to those who work hard
    Good environment on the FP&A team
    Stable and growing business with opportunity

Cons

Strict rules and poor benefits outside of good health care options. Can be a bit difficult for finance workers in a sales driven business

Make schedules flexible