Graniterock

Bruce W. Woolpert

Solid and Typically Supportive Construction and Material Supply Company

Former Employee - Project Management in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Project Management in San Jose, CA

I worked at Graniterock full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Relatively low pressure for a construction company. Some of the better jobs in the Monterey Bay region. Dependable and reliable - they've been here over 100 years and will be here for some time. Relatively good health care benefits.

Cons

Poor compensation when compared to SF Bay companies, and many if the jobs tend to migrate that direction. Slow to adapt to change. Little direct link between performance and pay. Entrenched and powerful people are often incompetent.

When people make you money, share the rewards. Your customer service and product quality are no longer superior to local competitors (like Las Animas.) Make changes or drop prices or your market share will continue downward.

Was a great company to work for

I worked at Graniterock

Pros

Graniterock promote's community involvement and provides options in your career.

Cons

Too much focus on areas that are not job or business related. Small company mindset.

Great Company to Work For

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Watsonville, CA
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Watsonville, CA

I have been working at Graniterock as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Employee input is greatly valued
    Hard working Team Members
    Managers sit in cubicles alongside everyone else
    CEO sits in cubicle as well
    Tight community where everyone knows each other's family

Cons

There are not any that I can think of.

Keep up the great work!

This one is a keeper

Former Intern - PM Technology Intern in Watsonville, CA
    Former Intern - PM Technology Intern in Watsonville, CA

I worked at Graniterock as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

- Good benefits, health, leaves, etc. They even offer leaves to their hourly-paid interns after one month of work with them, which I have not seen anywhere else. It shows that they really care about all their employees - even interns.
    - Provide fair compensation, per the industry standards
    - Stable job
    - Good hours
    - Great people!!
    - Family owned business
    - Good location as its close to Santa Cruz
    - I would work for them again! One of the best places I have ever worked in
    - Small business, so you can do a variety of things and get to know a lot of people

Cons

- Does not or rarely does H1B work visas, which is a bummer.
    - Cannot live in the same city - Watsonville, have to live in nearby Santa Cruz, Aptos, Capitola, etc.
    - It was bad in 2009/2010 when Construction industry was hit by Recession and they had to regrettably let some people go. Very sad time for the company then.
    - Employee must be self-motivated to progress in the company.

Work visa process is very easy and should be looked into, or else you are losing on talent.

Granite Rock the Best Company I've Worked For

Former Employee - Research and Technical Services Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Research and Technical Services Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Graniterock

Pros

Granite rock's ability to choose good employees makes it a great place to work. Your fellow employees are of the same mind set and are ready to help out in any way. The opportunities offered by Granite Rock are very impressive. There are schools and management training offered and you can even learning a new language. Hours are conducive to a family life.

Cons

The union was the only downside to my time at Granite Rock. I was not union therefore when they would strike I would have to cross that picket line and do become a scab. During my two years at Granite Rock I did not get a single raise due to the fact the union would hold out and strike and get their raises. Some would say that I should have been union. No I liked my salary job without paying dues. I know how crooked the Union reps are and chose not to deal with those guys.

Close down each plant one at a time to force the union out. They are only a hinderance to the company and it's ability to operate in today's economy. I am not sure if companies around Granite Rock are still non-union or not but the time for a Union in this country is over.

Granite Rock getting rich off the hard work of his drivers

Current Employee - Driver in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Driver in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Graniterock

Pros

Location, hours, dispatcher and some of my co workers

Cons

The owner is taking away monies from us by not paying and keeping up the same type companies he competes with.

Be fair and understanding, stop saying how you have my best interest at heart when it is just more monies for you

focus on saftey and training but long hours and a lot of physical labor

I worked at Graniterock

Pros

good benefits, lots of training, focus on safety, safety points you could use to buy items at the company store and in some departments a company car.

Cons

long hours up to 15 hours a day in some cases, working up to 7 days a week, erratic night and day shifts for months at a time, working in extreme temperature conditions (heat and cold), lots of physical labor, vacation time was almost impossible to get approved and would be cancelled if a job came up

would rather not say