Grant Street Group

Myles Harrington
1 Rating

Administrative Assistant - Human Resources

I have been working at Grant Street Group

Pros

A fun and generous working environment that promotes collaboration and communication.

Cons

We work hard - but our hard work is recognized by Management

Grant Street Group tries to hire the best employees, sets high expectations, and rewards high performers.

Current Employee - Perl Developer
    Current Employee - Perl Developer

I have been working at Grant Street Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

GSG offers pretty good compensation, great bonuses, and has a history of healthy growth, constantly getting new clients, retaining old clients. They value their employees as their most valuable assets, and have a high regard for human beings in general.

Cons

Because GSG views its success as a function of the success of each individual contributor (which I view as a positive thing), it sets a very high bar for performance. As a result, the hiring process and first few weeks on the job can be quite stressful, as new employees are expected to come up-to-speed very quickly.

Great internship experience in GSG

Current Employee - Perl Developer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Perl Developer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Grant Street Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Learnt a lot from my summer internship in GSG, the colleagues are all very nice and helpful, making me from not-know-perl to familiar-with-perl very soon.

The salary is quite fair in Pittsburgh as an intern.

And the culture of GSG is so amazing, there are many remote staff, but everyone is quite close to each other.

Cons

The parking fee in downtown is quite expensive, you had better take a bus to the company.

I had a great experience working with experienced developers in GSG.

I worked at Grant Street Group as an intern

Pros

They have really good working atmosphere. People there are willing to solve problems and discuss together. I learned a lot from them.

Cons

Many employees are working remotely. Sometimes it's not easy to communicate through video calls.

Very positive

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Grant Street Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Well managed company with very dedicated employees.

Cons

Growth opportunities somewhat limited by virtue of the business sectors in which they operate.

Permit more travel for purposes of business development.

Best Perl Developer employment I've seen

Former Employee - Perl Developer
    Former Employee - Perl Developer

I worked at Grant Street Group as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Most Perl developers at Grant Street telecommute. The company brings you into the Pittsburgh office a few times each year to work with other developers and to fraternize with the rest of the staff. Management is thoughtful, polite and listens attentively to developer suggestions. Top management is always asking developers for ways the company can improve. The company works with most of the latest Perl tools.

Cons

The development pace seemed too hectic. The company gave customers too much of what they asked for and not enough of what they needed. That left developers and staff struggling with changing requirements. Before I left, the company was starting to push back a little better which was improving customer experience and developer conditions.

With about a hundred employees, the company is acquiring the unhealthy inertia typical of large companies. Even when all developers agree that certain changes would be for the best, inertia and hectic timelines prevented the changes from happening.

Slow down development timelines. Give developers time to work on R&D projects so their talent can improve the company's products from within.