Grant Street Group Reviews

4.6
Myles Harrington

1. Wow - a breath of fresh air

Current Employee - Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Great management team, strong, company culture, competitive salary + bonus, fast-paced, and very intelligent co-workers. Free food and great events never hurt too :) People at Grant Street are the opposite of what you see at large companies (folks who are collecting paychecks). GSG employees are high performers who legitimately have pride in what they do. There aren't many "slackers", which makes for a great work environment.

Cons

Interview process can drag on for weeks, long hours

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.. this company is a breath of fresh air compared to prior companies that I've worked for.

2. Good company with great people

Current Employee - Software Developer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Grant Street Group full-time

Pros

Everyone is nice and pleasant to work with. I feel motivated to work hard instead of pressure.

Cons

You often are working with legacy code that is literally old or has old coding practices.

Advice to Management

Management is pretty good.

3. Great company, Great people

Current Employee - Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Grant Street Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked here for about two years now. I work as an analyst on GSG's TaxSys product and I can honestly say (without hyperbole) that I really love my job. My days are never the same and I am always challenged but never overworked. The job is great but what makes GSG such a great place to work is the people. Management has a great focus on its employees (in my experience there is a willingness to put people over profits) and my coworkers are not only highly intelligent and skilled, but they are helpful and easy to work with. This company also recognizes your strengths and is always working to position you to find your best fit within the company. I previously worked for a very large software company and I always felt like my ideas and opinions were never heard. GSG was a huge change in that regard. I feel like every time I speak up, I am heard and have a general feeling that I matter. Management is also open about the health of the company (financials and future plans are shared monthly with employees). Salary is very competitive and other benefits are above average as well.

Cons

The only con I can think of is that because of the rapid growth of the company, it feels like my job and the organizational structure of the company is constantly changing. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it can be hard to keep up with at times.

Administrative Assistant - Human Resources

Pros

A fun and generous working environment that promotes collaboration and communication.

Cons

We work hard - but our hard work is recognized by Management

6. Grant Street Group tries to hire the best employees, sets high expectations, and rewards high performers.

Current Employee - Perl Developer
    Current Employee - Perl Developer

I have been working at Grant Street Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

GSG offers pretty good compensation, great bonuses, and has a history of healthy growth, constantly getting new clients, retaining old clients. They value their employees as their most valuable assets, and have a high regard for human beings in general.

Cons

Because GSG views its success as a function of the success of each individual contributor (which I view as a positive thing), it sets a very high bar for performance. As a result, the hiring process and first few weeks on the job can be quite stressful, as new employees are expected to come up-to-speed very quickly.

7. Great internship experience in GSG

Current Intern - Perl Developer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Intern - Perl Developer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Grant Street Group as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Learnt a lot from my summer internship in GSG, the colleagues are all very nice and helpful, making me from not-know-perl to familiar-with-perl very soon. The salary is quite fair in Pittsburgh as an intern. And the culture of GSG is so amazing, there are many remote staff, but everyone is quite close to each other.

Cons

The parking fee in downtown is quite expensive, you had better take a bus to the company.

I had a great experience working with experienced developers in GSG.

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Grant Street Group as an intern

Pros

They have really good working atmosphere. People there are willing to solve problems and discuss together. I learned a lot from them.

Cons

Many employees are working remotely. Sometimes it's not easy to communicate through video calls.

Very positive

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Grant Street Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Well managed company with very dedicated employees.

Cons

Growth opportunities somewhat limited by virtue of the business sectors in which they operate.

Advice to Management

Permit more travel for purposes of business development.

Best Perl Developer employment I've seen

Former Contractor - Perl Developer
    Former Contractor - Perl Developer

I worked at Grant Street Group as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most Perl developers at Grant Street telecommute. The company brings you into the Pittsburgh office a few times each year to work with other developers and to fraternize with the rest of the staff. Management is thoughtful, polite and listens attentively to developer suggestions. Top management is always asking developers for ways the company can improve. The company works with most of the latest Perl tools.

Cons

The development pace seemed too hectic. The company gave customers too much of what they asked for and not enough of what they needed. That left developers and staff struggling with changing requirements. Before I left, the company was starting to push back a little better which was improving customer experience and developer conditions. With about a hundred employees, the company is acquiring the unhealthy inertia typical of large companies. Even when all developers agree that certain changes would be for the best, inertia and hectic timelines prevented the changes from happening.

Advice to Management

Slow down development timelines. Give developers time to work on R&D projects so their talent can improve the company's products from within.

RSS Feed </> Embed