Grant Thornton Reviews

Office Manager

Former Employee - Interal Client Serving in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Interal Client Serving in Dallas, TX

I worked at Grant Thornton

Pros

Professional, great benefits and takes good care of their employees.

Cons

Little growth opportunity for non-client serving staff

2. Not great

I worked at Grant Thornton

Pros

Advancement opportunities exist due to high turnover rates at all levels.

Cons

High turnover rates due to partners not always appreciating their assets (people).

Senior management needs to treat people less like "removeable pieces" and more like valued assets!

3. People are great. Everything else looks like every other Public Acct Firm

Current Employee - P&C Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - P&C Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, people, culture. general age range, company events.

Cons

Opportunities for growth are not equal among the service lines. This is most problematic in ICS.

360 Review of upper management should be in place. For a company that claims to be "about its people" GT should heed their thoughts more. There are simple things GT could be doing that would lead to hire retention rates, if only GT would choose to ask your lower level employees. Although some service lines do this, it should be a firm wide policy.

5. Great for up and coming in the finacial field, not so much for Internal Customer Service.

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best reason to work here is location.

Cons

They don't do a great job of supporting the ICS group.

Support your ICS group. Be inclusive, without us the ECS group could not do their jobs.

GT is not a good place for IT professionals

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Grant Thornton full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good health care benefits.

Cons

I worked in advisory services for a little over a year. It was honestly the worst type of work I've ever done. I was on mostly IT audit projects. I swear to you, a high schooler could do this work. It's painfully boring. On top of that, but you're stuck at the client site working with possibly the most boring people on the face of the planet. You'll be incredibly annoyed by your co-workers who love audit (and you have NO CLUE why they do), or you'll be dragged down by those who absolutely despise the work, or you'll be depressed by those who have just kind of rolled over and do the awful work and have no exit strategy.

Promotions are hard to get. Yeah, you can get to manager if you do your job, but don't expect to make partner or anything like that. Few do. Also, the pay is not great at GT.

One thing partners love to do is talk about the interesting work that's in the pipeline that they're selling. I wanted to get in on ERP implementations. In the 1.5 years that I was there, not one implementation happened.

If you don't jive well with the BAS culture, expect that to show up in your review. One of the managers did not get along well with me. She knew I didn't enjoy the work and really despised me for that. If you're fortunate enough to be hooked up with a manager and a few senior associates that you work well with, then you'll have a decent time at GT. I was not. So I had to leave.

My advice to those looking at GT:

If you're a CPA or a CFA, then I guess doing some time at GT could be good. If you're an engineer, do not go to GT. They'll stick you on terrible audit work. You can make way more money and be way happier elsewhere.

Also, know that you'll have to get a certification at some point before you're promoted past Senior Associate. Certifications take time, and once you get one, you're kind of labeled as an auditor. That's why I left quickly. I did not want to be pigeon holed into that kind of work. So just know, at some point you'll need a CPA, CFA, CISA, or something like that, and once you get said cert, you're pretty much stuck in compliance type work for the most part.

For some reason, BAS keeps hiring more technical applicants, but then give them audit work. I honestly have no clue why. And I have no clue why an engineer would take on a role like that. BAS likes to sell the consulting type work when you're interviewing, but ultimately audit is GT's bread and butter. Audit is reoccurring revenue, and consulting is not.

I recommend breaking GT consulting into its own business unit. Then, I probably would have interviewed with that, and not with BAS. Perhaps then I'd still be an employee at GT.

7. Great Alternative to Big 4

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (more than a year)

Pros

New changes to the firm's leadership team will absolutely shift the direction of the company in a more positive direction.

Cons

Not sure how benefits compare with those offered by other firms, including Big 4.

We need more consistency in the voice and messaging across the firm.

8. Great Company

Current Employee - Audit Associate in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Limited travel, flexible work schedule, strong client base in a variety of industries, good opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Can have long hours during peak season depending on clients.

go Big Four instead

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Grant Thornton full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Outsourcing to India creates a better work product than the interns and entry level staff due to a lack of training at the local office

Cons

Turnover is much higher than other accounting firms, but management doesn't seem concerned.

Lack of Leadership and Direction from Upper Management

10. Overall good experience

Current Employee - State and Local Tax Associate in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - State and Local Tax Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good team/mentor structure, plenty of out of office/team building events. Decent work-life balance.

Cons

Recruiting not as strong as at other large firms, seems to be a lot of turnover in state and local tax practice.

11. Pretty good company, not a lot of good career opportunities outside tax & audit.

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Grant Thornton full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pretty good work life balance.

Cons

Career opportunities fairly limited to tax & audit.