Grant Thornton International

www.gti.org

Grant Thornton International Reviews in Atlanta, GA

Grant Thornton International – US – “inside”

Grant Thornton International – US – “inside”

Grant Thornton International CEO Ed Nusbaum

Ed Nusbaum

Pros
  • Work/life balance is pretty good (in 17 reviews)

• Fewer hours and less stress than big 4 (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of investment, weak infrastructure compared to Big 4 (in 25 reviews)

• If you're expecting great work life balance, public accounting is never the way to go (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights
3 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Audit Support Services Manager

Audit Manager (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGrant Thornton provided lots of opportunities to advance my career that I do not think I would have received at big 4 firms.

ConsThe level of talent of senior management and audit staff at Grant Thornton International was not to the level of expertise that I expected.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should work on spending more time training individuals so that they can better perform their jobs and represent the company.

Not too big; not too small... just right!

Senior Associate (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsDiffers by service line, but the best aspects of advisory services include:
    - Ability to work on diverse array of assignment types/industries (Relative to feedback I get from peers at certain of the Big 4 that are stuck in very specific silos)
    - Access to senior leadership/client interaction.
    - Lots of VERY bright coworkers
    - Big enough to where you *almost* always feel like the firm has a resource or specialist for everything; not so big that you never get to know people in other service lines or areas of the office
    - Hours are generally good

Seemed to do a good job in my office of figuring out ways to creatively utilize staff rather than layoff

Also, feedback I've received from people that have joined other, more populous groups (audit, tax) from Big 4 is that staff are treated much more like actual people rather than inputs in a work product.

ConsAgain, based on my service line:
    - Sharing of information/best practices across offices can be maddeningly poor
    - Development of best practices for certain recurring issues can be slow to come about
    - Timing of promotions at the staff level only differs slightly based on merit, i.e. two people that perform much at much different levels may be promoted at almost the same pace.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove knowledge sharing! Note: senior management is, in fact, rolling out a brand new platform to address this in a month or two; hopefully it works well.

Decent place to begin an accounting career, well recognized firm that doesn't abuse the employees.

Audit Senior Associate (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsIt is a well recognized international firm that isn't one of the "Big 4", but looked at by potential employers just as well. Overall the partners and managers take a real interest in training and overall they do care about the employees. Overall its a good firm to get public accounting experience, but not sure its worth staying to hopefully reach partner one day.

ConsAlthough they try to really promote the idea of work life balance, it is nothing more then marketing to attract employees. From what I hear from people at the "Big 4", its not as bad, but not a lot better either. Grant Thornton promotes itself as in a category of 1, only because they are not a Big 4. They are without a doubt will say they are a category of 1 until they are known as part of the Big 5, where they seem to want to be unofficially.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management needs to be more open as to where employees can be over the years financially as everyone is really in the dark as to what different level employees actually earn.

Worked for Grant Thornton International? Contribute to the Community!