Grant Thornton International
www.gti.org London, United Kingdom

Grant Thornton International Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014
Grant Thornton International – US – “inside”

Grant Thornton International CEO Ed Nusbaum

Ed Nusbaum

Pros:
  • "Work/life balance is pretty good"
    in 16 reviews
  • "It's work in public accounting with marginally better work life balance than what my friends at the Big 4 describe"
    in 26 reviews
Cons:
  • "Lack of investment, weak infrastructure compared to Big 4"
    in 23 reviews
  • "If you're expecting great work life balance, public accounting is never the way to go"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Best Culture of any of the Large Accounting Firms

Audit Manager (Current Employee)
Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Grant Thornton International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros1) Fantastic learning enviornment that provides knowledge and skill set necesssary to be sussessful in many fields of endevour 2) Quickly move up through ranks 3)Reasonable work life balance (especially when compared to big 4 accounting firms 4)Work enviornment that allows one to bring their whole self to work.

Cons1) 55 hour workweek Jan - April 2) Pay is comparable to other public accounting firms, but low compared to industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementBridge the gap between salaries available in industry and at GT.

Good place to start a career in accounting.

Advisory Senior Associate (Former Employee)
Honolulu, HI

I worked at Grant Thornton International full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGrant had a good corporate environment. The company definitely took care of the employees. Management wasn't afraid to promote people earlier if they worked hard and were ready for the challenges of the position.

ConsLong hours, but it's public accounting and OT is expected. National can limit the types of work/jobs that offices can engage in, but that's typical of any big 4 or national accounting firm.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

No thanks

Senior Manager (Former Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Grant Thornton International full-time for less than a year

ProsCo-workers but that was only because we were part of an acquisition

ConsYou are JUST a number

Great Work Environment

I have been working at Grant Thornton International full-time for less than a year

ProsInterview Process was a great experience

ConsNothing really bad to say here

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

"Ad hoc" is the name of the game, in all things...if you like staff aug, this is your place

Manager (Current Employee)
Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Grant Thornton International full-time for more than a year

ProsWork/life balance is pretty good. All staff is generally friendly. Great holiday party.

ConsFederal practice tries to figure things out as they go vs. putting together a discernible strategy. Low-end consulting - 99.9% of work is staff aug. "Not invented here" mentality is pervasive. Collaboration feels like an assembly line process - people focus on their respective "part," but don't focus on the overall "machine" being built. Continual "restructuring" of practice leaves feeling of utter confusion, in everything. Career management practices are a joke, and change each year.

Easy to get lost in the crowd

Associate (Current Employee)

ProsTons of training and easy access to experts

ConsA lot of work around a few deadlines. Very little downtime (even in the summer, despite popular recruiting myths). I worked the day before and after Christmas every year I was there and never took more than three consecutive days off. I found new business for the firm as a first-year staff member (which is rare) and didn't even get a bonus.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove away from the hazing mentality and you might not lose as many first- and second-year staff.

Grant Thornton is a great place to work

Senior Associate (Current Employee)
Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Grant Thornton International full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEasy access to senior management, talented coworkers, industry leaders in some areas, fairly good work/life balance

ConsBonuses are not great, salaries are lower than the big four

Good company to get initial experience and then leave at senior associate level if you want to go work in industry.

Audit Manager (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

ProsGT is not a big 4. Fewer hours and less stress than big 4.

ConsIf you want to work for a large company after GT, start at a big 4 as you have a better chance of landing a job with a Fortune 500 from a big 4.

Manager

Advisory Manager (Former Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Grant Thornton International full-time for more than a year

Prossome really smart talented people

Constoo big, too cheap, too much red tape

Advice to Senior Managementstop being so cheap

A true meritocracy that recognizes those that go the extra mile.

ProsCompetitive salary, opportunities to get involved in all aspects of the business, close contact with partners

ConsThe scorecard that grades you each year doesn't come out until 6 or more months after the grading period begins.

Worked for Grant Thornton International? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Grant Thornton International reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Grant Thornton International CEO Ed Nusbaum. All 167 reviews posted anonymously by Grant Thornton International employees.