Grant Thornton

Grant Thornton Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Grant Thornton CEO Stephen Chipman

Stephen Chipman

Pros
  • Meaningless staff augmentation projects will allow you to have a great work life balance(in 45 reviews)

• Great people to work with and my team tries to be proactive about a work/life balance(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • High turnover: Work-life balance does not exist if you're consistently short staffed(in 22 reviews)

• Less competitive in terms of brand name in comparison to Big 4 audit firm(in 22 reviews)

Great place to start after school

Associate (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGreat people. I enjoyed the people that I worked with.

ConsI do not have any negative comments.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore money

Good work-life balance, still growing

Manager (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGood work-life balance; generally good people; big enough to have good internal services, small enough to know the leadership

ConsGenerally probably not as well known for "thought leadership" as competitors; Less competitive compensation; fewer opportunities to work on big name engagements

Good place to intern and learn.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLots of opportunities to build your career and showcase your skills. The practice is always looking to grow.

ConsThere are definitely busy seasons and work varies depending on what part of the year it is.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Environment with great people.

Audit Associate (Current Employee)

Prosgood teams with staff from every level to help. Very understanding in to work life balance

Consno sick days so when you need off you have to us pto

Weathering the storm

Audit Manager (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsChallenging work, have great work life balance, and work with an outstanding group of people that care about your career development and professional growth

ConsSometimes the work requires a lot of our people and can cause more brain damage than growth and development. This is generally due to poorly managed engagements and clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is difficult to do in service industry but try to back your employees and not just always defaulting to the client is always right.

A good place to start

ProsYou are given the opportunity to learn a lot on a short amount of time.

ConsLong hours with little reward

Strong firm culture and vision

ProsGrant Thornton has a strong firm culture and vision to serve mid-size dynamic organizations. Because of this, I see the firm establishing its name in the niche markets that will help it become more and more successful.

ConsSome internal software and programs are lacking. Although the firm has invested in a new CRM system and new conflict checking platform, both systems are missing the mark.

Great place to start a career

Associate (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsThe work-life balance is great at GT. They allow flexible working arrangements and enough PTO even in entry level positions. Salaries tend to be slightly under market averages, but that comes with the flexibility.

ConsToo many internal policies to navigate through in order to get stuff done. HR tends to get over-involved in areas which shouldn't concern them. It has a Big 4 attitude, but doesn't quite have the variety of projects to support it. People tend to get stuck on one client for years at a time, which defeats the purpose of being in consulting.

It's not perfect, but I love my job

Associate (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsGreat people to work with and my team tries to be proactive about a work/life balance. A lot of hands-on experience very early in your career, including meeting with clients.

ConsUnderstaffed right now so everyone is overworked. The upper management don't always pay attention/listen to what the staff communicates.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the staff. Upstream reviews would be helpful.

Good people, fair salary (have to fight for what you deserve), overworked & under staffed.

ICS Manager (Current Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsThe people. Most of the partners/principals are great. A lot of good opportunity if you volunteer for work/projects. I fought for & got a great flex schedule.

ConsSalary is fair but I had to fight for each raise. Way overworked due to continual understaffing. Mgmt/partner wouldn't listen until I was burnt out & resigned. I'd go back but I'd draw more clear lines re: workload from the start.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to staff. Upward reviews would provide some helpful insight.

Worked for Grant Thornton? Contribute to the Community!