Grant Thornton

Updated September 18, 2014
3.3

Grant Thornton CEO Stephen Chipman
Stephen Chipman

Pros
  • Meaningless staff augmentation projects will allow you to have a great work life balance (in 45 reviews)

• Great people to work with and my team tries to be proactive about a work/life balance (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • High turnover: Work-life balance does not exist if you're consistently short staffed (in 22 reviews)

• Less competitive in terms of brand name in comparison to Big 4 audit firm (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Senior Associates

Current Employee - Senior Tax Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Tax Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Company to Work for .. People in the firm will guide you yo move up in your role . They are very helpful and down to earth

Cons

Sometimes unreasonable Utilization target specially during season . but that understandable from
    tax service engagements

Compared to Big 4-5 accounting firm the compensation paid was bit low it would be great if you increase a pay to match with other accounting firm

Great company

Current Employee - Senior Associate  in  Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Grant Thornton (GPS) gives a fairly decent work life balance and allows you take on different challenges outside of your normal work. Overall, it is a great place to work with talented people.

Cons

Leadership has been changing at GPS and the cultural change that accompanies it is not for the better. We cannot retain some of our top talent, which is frustrating because fantastic people leave every promotion/bonus period. The compensation scheme is uneven with some lower level folks like Sr. Associates making more than managers.

Don't follow the big 4, Grant Thornton LLP GPS is (or was) unique in the crowd and it was the culture that kept many of our talented staff around.

My experience with this company was outstanding.

Former Employee - Senior Tax Associate III  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Tax Associate III in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Grant Thornton full-time for less than a year

Pros

I had several personal issues arise right after I was hired by Grant Thornton's tax department in Kansas City, MO. My mother passed away and right after that, I was told I needed immediate back surgery. I missed the majority of tax season due to the aforementioned issues, but I was allowed to record all my time as PTO and continue receiving full paychecks despite the HR manual stating new employees cannot begin using their PTO until after 90 days of employment. Because of my time away from the job, I was told at the end of April that I was not going to receive the manager promotion that I'd been told about during the interview process and that I was being let go so I could deal with my recovery and grief issues. My negative PTO balance was forgiven, my contractual obligations to repay the unamortized portions of the signing bonus and moving allowance I'd been provided were waived and I was kept on the payroll for an entire month with no responsibilities (I wasn't even required to come in to the office but I was allowed to keep my office during that time to look for a job) so I could search for a less demanding position and so that I would qualify for COBRA benefits. I could not have asked to be treated any better.

Cons

There were honestly no challenges in working for Grant Thornton. I guess if I had to say something for this category, I would say that having to deal with interns that were being paid hourly instead of on a salaried basis (and therefore were overworking themselves to the point of exhaustion and inability to perform their jobs adequately) was difficult.

The only advice I have for management would be concerning the aforementioned negative issue. I would suggest capping the number of hours employees paid on an hourly basis are allowed to work somewhat like the new rules governing medical residents not being allowed to work over 80 hours per week because it compromises patient safety. Having interns exhausted and driving home half asleep will eventually result in somebody getting into a serious accident, and when attorneys start looking for who has the largest pockets, they certainly won't be interested in the interns that are usually college students or their insurance carriers. However, I would be willing to bet they would look at the environment promoted in that person's workplace that allowed them to become that exhausted and drive while being half asleep and then file suit against the firm.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good firm, hard work, team oriented

Current Employee - Director  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time for less than a year

Pros

Highly knowledgeable people, collegial environment

Cons

same as any of the big accounting/tax firms

try to reduce adminstrative/bureacratic load

Unsustainable IT workload with little financial compensation.

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Interesting projects, good people who collaborate well.

Cons

Unsustainable IT workload with little financial compensation. Systemic problem of inaccurate project estimates, resulting in aggressive deliverables, budget overruns, and solutions being deemed "out-of-scope" in order to meet timelines.

Better resource management and more accurate project estimates.

All the headaches of Big4... None of the perks. Not the "small firm" environment they claim to be.

I worked at Grant Thornton

Pros

Pay is commensurate with Big4 until you make partner. Still have decent sized clients to work on and learn.

Cons

Where do I start? This company spends so much time telling you its not the big4, and then when you look around, it's all you see. Web portals, tons of admin, forms for everything, crappy billing system. The people who do stay there long term are the typical Type A accounting geek who works thousands of hours and loves to tell you all about it.

Where they are not big4-like is their propensity to lay people off. I saw more layoffs in one year in GT- Boston than I saw in 8 years in the big4. Hell I even saw partners get the boot. They will leave a skeleton crew on engagements and expect you to grin and bear it.

The firm did not seem to care about the little things that keep employees happy. For instance, the staff do not get free cellphone service like at the Big4. Staff do not get to take a floater if they have to work labor day. They block access to music sites. Public accounting sucks, and depriving people of these little things all snowball into more discontent.

In an industry that only gets worse every year, they do absolutely nothing to be competitive and retain talent. I get it, we're all replaceable, especially in a job like public accounting. But if you pretend to care about employee retention, maybe you'll actually retain.

Very Competitive

I have been working at Grant Thornton

Pros

Most of the team is very capable

Cons

Very demanding, moving to an up or out culture

Trying to compete with bigger consulting firms.

I worked at Grant Thornton full-time for more than a year

Pros

People working in this firm are nice and helpful

Cons

It is a big mix of everything the company is trying to do work where they have no expertise. They think by hiring a few employees with certain skills gives them the ability to compete with bigger consulting firms, the clients and employees pay for this mistake.

Overall positive experience. Firm has moved up market and is struggling to find its culture

Former Employee - Senior Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Grant Thornton full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Highly professional work environment, dedicated professionals committed to professional excellence. Commitment at the top to honesty and integrity.

Cons

Huge staff turnover at the senior to manager level. Strategic decisions appear to be short sighted and harmful to esprit de corps in order to increase the value of equity units. Inconsistent culture across offices and business units

Staff development is critical and appears to be lacking

Good experience

I have been working at Grant Thornton

Pros

Hours are not nearly as long as the Big 4 hours.

Cons

Clients and name of company are not as recognized as the Big 4's.

Worked for Grant Thornton? Contribute to the Community!