Grant Thornton

Updated October 23, 2014
3.3

Grant Thornton CEO Stephen Chipman
Stephen Chipman

Pros
  • Meaningless staff augmentation projects will allow you to have a great work life balance (in 52 reviews)

• After being at the Big 4 for many years I wanted to see if working at GT would be any different (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • High turnover: Work-life balance does not exist if you're consistently short staffed (in 26 reviews)

• Less competitive in terms of brand name in comparison to Big 4 audit firm (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Great for up and coming in the finacial field, not so much for Internal Customer Service.

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best reason to work here is location.

Cons

They don't do a great job of supporting the ICS group.

Support your ICS group. Be inclusive, without us the ECS group could not do their jobs.

Great company

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Grant Thornton (GPS) gives a fairly decent work life balance and allows you take on different challenges outside of your normal work. Overall, it is a great place to work with talented people.

Cons

Leadership has been changing at GPS and the cultural change that accompanies it is not for the better. We cannot retain some of our top talent, which is frustrating because fantastic people leave every promotion/bonus period. The compensation scheme is uneven with some lower level folks like Sr. Associates making more than managers.

Don't follow the big 4, Grant Thornton LLP GPS is (or was) unique in the crowd and it was the culture that kept many of our talented staff around.

Senior Associates

Current Employee - Senior Tax Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Tax Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Company to Work for .. People in the firm will guide you yo move up in your role . They are very helpful and down to earth

Cons

Sometimes unreasonable Utilization target specially during season . but that understandable from
    tax service engagements

Compared to Big 4-5 accounting firm the compensation paid was bit low it would be great if you increase a pay to match with other accounting firm

My experience with this company was outstanding.

Former Employee - Senior Tax Associate III in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Tax Associate III in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Grant Thornton full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I had several personal issues arise right after I was hired by Grant Thornton's tax department in Kansas City, MO. My mother passed away and right after that, I was told I needed immediate back surgery. I missed the majority of tax season due to the aforementioned issues, but I was allowed to record all my time as PTO and continue receiving full paychecks despite the HR manual stating new employees cannot begin using their PTO until after 90 days of employment. Because of my time away from the job, I was told at the end of April that I was not going to receive the manager promotion that I'd been told about during the interview process and that I was being let go so I could deal with my recovery and grief issues. My negative PTO balance was forgiven, my contractual obligations to repay the unamortized portions of the signing bonus and moving allowance I'd been provided were waived and I was kept on the payroll for an entire month with no responsibilities (I wasn't even required to come in to the office but I was allowed to keep my office during that time to look for a job) so I could search for a less demanding position and so that I would qualify for COBRA benefits. I could not have asked to be treated any better.

Cons

There were honestly no challenges in working for Grant Thornton. I guess if I had to say something for this category, I would say that having to deal with interns that were being paid hourly instead of on a salaried basis (and therefore were overworking themselves to the point of exhaustion and inability to perform their jobs adequately) was difficult.

The only advice I have for management would be concerning the aforementioned negative issue. I would suggest capping the number of hours employees paid on an hourly basis are allowed to work somewhat like the new rules governing medical residents not being allowed to work over 80 hours per week because it compromises patient safety. Having interns exhausted and driving home half asleep will eventually result in somebody getting into a serious accident, and when attorneys start looking for who has the largest pockets, they certainly won't be interested in the interns that are usually college students or their insurance carriers. However, I would be willing to bet they would look at the environment promoted in that person's workplace that allowed them to become that exhausted and drive while being half asleep and then file suit against the firm.

Good firm, hard work, team oriented

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Highly knowledgeable people, collegial environment

Cons

same as any of the big accounting/tax firms

try to reduce adminstrative/bureacratic load

Unsustainable IT workload with little financial compensation.

I have been working at Grant Thornton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting projects, good people who collaborate well.

Cons

Unsustainable IT workload with little financial compensation. Systemic problem of inaccurate project estimates, resulting in aggressive deliverables, budget overruns, and solutions being deemed "out-of-scope" in order to meet timelines.

Better resource management and more accurate project estimates.

OK

Former Employee - Senior Director in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Director in McLean, VA

I worked at Grant Thornton (more than an year)

Pros

Hungry - decent work life - some smart people

Cons

Management disfunctional - offices not coordinated, especially US with international

Senior associate BAS

Former Employee - Senior BAS Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior BAS Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Grant Thornton full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Office is located in middle of mid town Atlanta.

(Just trying meet 20 word minimum criteria for this section)

Cons

BAS management has no clue how to run an organization- Upper Management is non responsive to anyone under Manager title.
    Keep loosing existing projects and failing to win new work.
    They have incompetent directors trying to manage several large projects
    Talent team is useless in finding associates projects (oh did I mention upper management aren't responsive, good luck trying to find projects?

...You get the picture

First learn to make connections with your new hires. Second bring in competent leaders who are able to sell and retain work

For any more advises, GT will need to cut me a PO

Overall positive experience. Firm has moved up market and is struggling to find its culture

Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Grant Thornton full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Highly professional work environment, dedicated professionals committed to professional excellence. Commitment at the top to honesty and integrity.

Cons

Huge staff turnover at the senior to manager level. Strategic decisions appear to be short sighted and harmful to esprit de corps in order to increase the value of equity units. Inconsistent culture across offices and business units

Staff development is critical and appears to be lacking

Trying to compete with bigger consulting firms.

I worked at Grant Thornton full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People working in this firm are nice and helpful

Cons

It is a big mix of everything the company is trying to do work where they have no expertise. They think by hiring a few employees with certain skills gives them the ability to compete with bigger consulting firms, the clients and employees pay for this mistake.

Grant Thornton Photos