Grant Thornton UK LLP Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Entrepreneurial environment ... apart from the bureaucracy

I worked at Grant Thornton UK LLP (More than 3 years)

Pros

Space for you to make an impact, supportive culture, great people, top class training

Cons

Too much admin and bureaucracy, slow moving at times

2. Great people, great team, great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sheffield, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sheffield, England (UK)

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A really positive focus on values and behaviours - demonstrating these in all our interactions within the firm and with clients. The firm's and my office's (Sheffield's) leaders are clear: living the values is what we're about, it's not just about getting the job done and billing clients as in some professional services firms. Along with this, there's a big focus on "team" rather than "the individual", and if you're playing your part the work can be flexible, rewarding and gives high priority to family and other outside work activities.

Cons

High expectations of working hard: delivering to the max and often long days. (Not necessarily a con ... that just goes with the territory)

Advice to Management

Keep focused on leading clearly, prioritising people development, and growing the firm.

3. Summer Intern

Former Employee - Intern in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Intern in London, England (UK)

I worked at Grant Thornton UK LLP

Pros

Lots of social events, very interesting things

Cons

The work is quite tedious and boring, but I guess this is what accounting means

5. It has been as positive as a job can go!

Current Employee - Purchase Ledger and Expenses Assistant in Northampton, England (UK)

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love that you can relax a bit and talk to staff members in a friendly manner, however the under written rule of ensuring that the work you are responsible for is completed to a top quality standard remains. This is how a job should be and I'm proud to be working here.

Cons

In my current role, progression in my career is difficult. Whilst I am not expecting to simply fly up the career ladder from doing a few small projects, I do feel that more efforts could be made to look into various other ways of pushing yourselves.

Advice to Management

There is a lot being done already that is great and I am very happy to be working with yourselves. The only drawback is that sometimes things that are happening higher up are not fed down to us and it leaves us feeling under-valued.

6. Enjoyable and challenging.

Current Employee - Executive in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Executive in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people, work-life balance supported, excellent training provision and support, great social opportunities.

Cons

Personal development and path to promotion could be more structured.

Advice to Management

Reward loyalty.

7. Loved GT so far

Current Employee - Personal Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Personal Assistant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great career path for all levels - enjoy the team aspect and getting involved in different sectors. Flexible working style.

Cons

Not always enough time invested in support staff team

Great platform for future career, but if partner is not your goal get out before you get stuck!

Former Employee - Audit Trainee - Assistant Manager in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

I worked at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to study for your ACA / ACCA. Having an intake who go through the same as yourself and can become very good friends is a real help in passing the exams which you do not have in industry. Equally the ability to review multiple companies for work gives a great platform for your future career in best, and worst, practices. The environment is fast paced and often a work hard / play hard attitude can result in very strong friendships being formed. Small teams and profitability pressures give greater responsibility earlier than you may otherwise receive in an industry position. Also the variety of clients to audit takes away the mundane 'same thing every day' feel. Work life balance is as publicised, hours are not 9-5 and some weekends are worked but within this people vary, in my time there I probably averaged 45 hours a week, I'd say this was about average for an auditor at GT.

Cons

The structure of any professional service firm works on the principle that an intake of say 8 will result in, roughly, 1 senior manager / partner, 1 manager and over time the other 6 will move on into industry or another professional service firm. In reality intakes tend to stay longer if there is a bond or all leave if there is no camaraderie. This can lead to the firm bringing in mid level staff which can be difficult to assimilate in the latter case and in the former make working life uncomfortable for certain individuals making them leave (often then resulting in a mass exodus as social groups are broken up). Where promotions are quick due to vacancies above this can lead to being effectively unemployable in industry as your pay / position is such that with your lack of experience actually doing an accounting role you are considered a risk in industry. If becoming a partner is a career ambition then GT is a good place to work, learn and play the game. Due to the limited availabilities for individuals post qualification promotions can be very varied dependant on number of vacancies ahead and reputation / alliances within the firm. To a degree this is expected everywhere but due to the nature of the job, working for different managers / partners weekly it does become a bit of a popularity contest as it is very difficult to compare staff due to the differing jobs worked on. That said my eventual reason for leaving was the feeling that I was not contributing to anything, as an auditor you check others work and in a professional services firm your end motive is to generate profit for partners, while this is the motivation for most commercial companies there is normally the production of a good or service with greater social significance along the way.

Advice to Management

Remember to treat trainees and low management as individuals rather than groupings of whom many will fall and move on. Line management in particular was of very poor quality when I left the firm, less about encouraging and helping the line manages and more a box ticking exercise. This is not so much a criticism as an observation but while at GT being a qualified accountant was the norm, outside of the firm my ACA has been treated with respect and almost reverence, while junior staff at GT may be less experienced they are nevertheless qualified / part qualified accountants, too often managers or partners would treat staff as naughty school children.

Terrible Co to work for!!!

Former Employee - Filing Clerk in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Filing Clerk in Birmingham, England (UK)

I worked at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Dead-End Job, Friendly Staff, Take Holiday when it fits with their schedule

Cons

If they want you out they will find any legal way they can to get you out!!!

Advice to Management

Look after your staff and value their input

10. Top Notch

Current Employee - Audit Associate
    Current Employee - Audit Associate

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great career prospects, early responsibility, focus on their people as well as their clients, good salary benefits.

Cons

None- this is a great firm

A step up from some things, but was glad to go!

Current Employee - Marketing and BD in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Marketing and BD in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Grant Thornton UK LLP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I suppose it depends on where you come from, I was wowed by the sleek operations and modern offices. Plenty of friendly faces and good social scene. If you are a fee earner, I believe the bonuses are ok and the staff functions can be pretty wild. Last one I went to was Alton Towers, including a few hours in the park and a stay in the hotel. My team management were very flexible with hours to accommodate personal circumstances.

Cons

A I was in Marketing and BD (not a fee earner) I was not entitled to bonuses. Which sucks when you hear others whining about only getting £1000!! First in the firing line when things are bad, when things are good very little recognition from the firm as a whole. Was promised pay rises that never came. Very much felt like I was beneath all fee earners and should be grateful to have a job in the credit crunch. Training and opportunities for progression were very limited.

Advice to Management

When promoting people to managerial positions give them training in how to be a good manager!! My final manager was awful at people management and rubbed lots of people up the wrong way - wording of emails often made me look inadequate in front of directors and partners

RSS Feed </> Embed