Grantham University

Grantham University Interim President Joseph McGrath

Joseph McGrath

7 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

The best place to work!

Financial Aid Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Kansas City, MO

ProsGreat benefits. Knowledgeable management. Great environment all over.

ConsFlexibility of scheduled hours was limited to 8-5 or 9-6.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Worst experience ever

Director (Current Employee)
    Kansas City, MO

ProsFast paced and learned a lot. They hire a Lot of skilled people then pummel them. The benefits are good.

ConsThe firm has no strategy or cascading goals and objectives. It is the most Balkanized organization I have ever worked for. Staff are told what to do instead of establishing mutually agreed upon objectives.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up! Open the books of the classes we teach about organizational behaviors!!! Otherwise you will keep losing good employees.

My experience has been mixed at Grantham University.

Kansas City, MO

ProsThe company is fairly young and still growing.

ConsGrantham has unusually poor benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a better benefits plan.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Power Tripping

Temporary Helpdesk Technician (Former Employee)
    Kansas City, MO

ProsExcellent manager. 1 hour break for lunch. Employees were very nice.

ConsFired after two days for using my cellphone despite there being no written or verbal policy regarding cellphone usage. Other employees also used their cellphones during business hours, including one who used a company laptop to charge his iPhone. Scheduling was done on a day to day basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate to workers if you have issues with them. Spell out cellphone usage policy in writing if there is an issue with it.

My way or the highway attitude.

Educational Outreach (Former Employee)
    Kansas City, MO

ProsEnjoyed the opportunity to promote education, work with students, explain educational benefits to military students, and help them overcome obstacles.

ConsThe university had 4 presidents in the 3 years that I worked there. At the vice-president and student adviser levels, it was a constant revolving door. The endless rotation of student advisers meant that students were not receiving support, having to explain situations over and over to new people, and often times their educational progress was halted because something fell through the cracks between old and new advisers.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople don't quit the company, they quit their boss. Next time, don't tell an entire team of people that "you can all be replaced in two weeks." It's demotivating and does not instill trust in your leadership or lack thereof. Its even worse when HR and the president of the university back up such a sorry example of a supervisor. It shows that the organization is unprofessional at the highest levels.

Very "fair weather" treatment of employees

Admissions Representative (Current Employee)
    Kansas City, MO

ProsThere are a lot of great people working here who love what they do and love working for our many military and Veteran students. You will find a lot of passion with the people who have bought in. It can be a good place to work as long as you are doing well and keep out of the limelight.

ConsThe product is better than in the past 10 years but the company continues to restrict investing in processes for education and students but pours it into admission. As an employee there is little to no advancement. There are 70+ people and only 7 managers and 7 leads. The leads are kind of like managers but also have a full rep goal so the department won't lose their revenue. Staying an AR is best because the benefits do not out weight the stress of a little promotion to lead which is like hitting the glass ceiling of entry level-dom. As in most sales places the memory is very short. If you were great one month you need to be better the next. If you have a bad month your name is mud and they become strict like you are a child. They have no pay incentives because the education industry is changing, at least this is the excuse. There are some dehumanizing things as well such as walking a long way(often away from a closer side door) to exit/enter a main door so you don't disturb people in the call center. Also, they will often walk investors down the call center which makes you feel like a head of cattle.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are a lot of great people in management but the culture is very top-down style. Every few weeks a new theme is preached and you find it is all because their bosses said something and they preach it like gospel instead of doing their own analysis.

Grantham is a place that recognizes and rewards drive and dedication -- we want our students to graduate!

Marketing (Current Employee)
    Kansas City, MO

ProsYou get to support some of the best people on earth - adult students who thought college was not possible for them.

You get to work with lots of people who believe in what they do and like their jobs

You get paid well and the benefits are great -- including FREE tution for you and your family to go to college.

ConsThey are up North near the airport, so I do have to drive every day - at least there is no traffic.

Usually you work more than 40 hours, but you can work remote so that's a plus.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to focus on the things that really matter. Don't spread yourself too thin. Keep up the good work in keeping us motivated and feeling like our work changes lives for the better.

Worked for Grantham University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Grantham University reviews and ratings in Kansas City, MO — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Grantham University CEO Joseph McGrath. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Grantham University employees.