Grassroots Campaigns

Updated October 20, 2014
2.4

Grassroots Campaigns President Douglas H Phelps
Douglas H Phelps

Pros
  • Opportunity to learn a lot about office management, communication, administration, etc (in 8 reviews)

• It very hard work and the upper management uses pressure to perform at any expense (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • The chance for upward mobility is slim unless you start in the middle (Assistant Director or above) (in 12 reviews)

• Terrible pay, extremely difficult and long hours (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

It is certainly activism

Current Employee - Canvass Director
    Current Employee - Canvass Director

I have been working at Grassroots Campaigns full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Through my time here at Grassroots I've literally talked to over two thousand people about issues I care about and got to build a team of people to do the same. The actual work that Grassroots Campaigns does is incredibly important. People who think of canvassing as just 'standing on the street, asking strangers for money' don't really seem to get it. The fact is that the people who stop, talk to you, and donate are more likely to vote on that issue, they're more likely to volunteer, talk to others about it, and actually THINK about the issue they took 2 minutes to talk to a stranger about. The folks who canvass well realize that activism starts from the bottom up, not just arguing with policy wonks and debating like minded friends. People have been canvassing as a form of activism for hundreds of years. All jobs that operate in a competitive market have standards and expectations, and, dun dun dun, some form of a quota.

Cons

There's a pretty big disconnect between the hours worked and the amount paid for directors. I, like everyone else, want to be paid more than I already am for the job I have (I think it's important to say that people have this attitude no matter where they work). There's no clear distinction about "when the day begins," and "when the day ends." Also, six days a week is grueling. While I have gotten feedback and evaluation on my own performance, I haven't gotten a lot of it.

There should be more collaborative efforts between offices and directing teams on how to make the entire operation more efficient. The folks who are directors for 6+months, 1-2 yrs+, and the canvassing teams they build, really do care about the work. They should be given a chance to exchange ideas about what works and what doesn't with national leadership as the audience. For instance, "how do we set this office up so that we can get the weekend off." Not just top down, "this is the model of how we do things" (roughly speaking).

Good money for a kid but kind of sucks

Current Employee - Field Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Field Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Grassroots Campaigns full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Quick easy money if you are good. You meet a lot of people and see the city you are in.

Cons

Very tiring and stressful. There is a quota and if you miss it you get fired. It feels like a lot more hours than it is.g

Don't be so deceitful be more strait up

Absolutely atrocious they use you like a napkin

Current Employee - Canvasser in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Canvasser in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Grassroots Campaigns part-time

Pros

It's nice working with open-minded and friendly individuals that share the same values and ethics as you do.

Cons

If you don't meet the quota on time considered yourself fired. Knowing that you're practically disposable don't bother working here. Especially if you're looking for a summer or short term job.

Apparently the management doesn't seem to keen on getting donations at all. Big or small every penny should count no matter what the quota system is just so ridiculous. You see a lot of people get let go that way and it's rather unfortunate. They just take young activists under their wing only to suck them dry and dispense them towards the nearest trash can when managers no longer see them as "productive".

Great work experience and reference, but could be better implemented.

I worked at Grassroots Campaigns

Pros

It was very educational for both myself and every person I stopped each day. It was great to contribute like that to such a good cause.

Cons

Commission is almost non-existant and I (one of the highest fund raisers) often found myself sweating over loosing my job. It's good work for students, but not for grown adults.

The offices should be run by more experienced and seasoned professionals who can better formulate and implement policies and strategies.

I felt like they were not organized.

Former Employee - Canvass Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Canvass Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Grassroots Campaigns as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Started work immediately. Young energetic people to work with.

Cons

There is a lot of walking if you must canvass.

Inform people to wear comfortable shoes

Absolutely Dispicable

Current Employee - Canvasser in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Canvasser in New York, NY

I have been working at Grassroots Campaigns full-time (less than an year)

Pros

$12/hour once u meet the almost impossible "quota" ($140 per day or 3 monthly ("sustainers") ; if not , you get paid minimum wage for being on your feet all day getting attitude from hundreds of people.

Cons

Always on your feet trying to get people's money. 98.8% of the people u try and stop, don't want to talk to you and give attitude, the trainers are highly impatient. I was expected to know everything the very first day. Most importantly, I was FIRED the first day at the end because I didn't get any one to donate even though I stopped 20 people. It was just that no one wanted to donate.

Absolutely Horrible . I Will NOT recommend this job to ANYONE. No matter how badly the money is needed. ; Advice to management : Go to College and Get an Education.

Good causes; bad business

Former Employee - Assistant Director
    Former Employee - Assistant Director

I worked at Grassroots Campaigns full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working for great causes. Opportunity to learn a lot about office management, communication, administration, etc. Encourages traveling. Meet new people every single day. Student loan assistance offered.

Cons

Head directors are allowed to treat lower directors poorly. Unprepared people sent to to locations for unprepared campaigns. Little to no training opportunities for many directors. Lack of communication between headquarters and offices. Complete lack of support across the board. Compensation is incredibly low for the effort and hours required.

Absolutely need more transparency. Many offices are allowed to operate completely on their own with little interference from HQ until it's apparently that an office has made a mistake. More support systems need to happen.

A labor job that doesn't require any technical skills

Former Employee - Street Canvasser in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Street Canvasser in New York, NY

I worked at Grassroots Campaigns full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Really trained your tenacity and your ability to speak outloud

Cons

Very very tough job. You don't need any political knowledge or anything. Its basically just standing and shouting on street and getting rejected by thousands of people. Its a labor kind of position

Not something you want to do forever

I worked at Grassroots Campaigns part-time

Pros

Awesome, motivated people and work environment

Cons

Very disorganized and not enough training provided for the high expectations they have. Definitely an underpaid job.

The quotas should be made lower, or you guys should make a better training program.

Canvass

I have been working at Grassroots Campaigns full-time

Pros

Social enviroment and motivating sometimes

Cons

overwhelming and pressure environment all the time